USPS Shipping

12LSL

Do most use Priority as it seems almost the same if not a little cheaper when shipping ? Small items excluded. I'm shipping a Cloud Cookoo and Priority is cheaper than Parcel Post. Thanks

Funny how that works out isn't it. I generaly ship whichever way shows up as the most cost effective. With parcel post you have pay extra for tracking.

• 9 months later...

One question to tracking: I mailed quite a lot via USPS, usually first class but not flat rate. I never had a problem with my PO doing the initial scan, regardless of whether I dropped it off in person, or it got picked up by our mail man.

Now, three times in a row I didn't get the initial scan (picked up by mail man). The first of the three now arrived - apparently the destination unit and PO did the scans, so this went "ok-ish". Now two more didn't get the initial scan (but are still in transit). All of these were padded envelopes - light and rather thin, but very clearly with a first class label to be scanned. Is this a problem with these envelopes in particular? Is it a Christmas problem (too busy to scan)? Is it an isolated problem maybe (has somebody else seen the same)? Is there something that can be done to make that initial scan more reliable - except putting things into boxes?

Thanks.

One question to tracking: I mailed quite a lot via USPS, usually first class but not flat rate. I never had a problem with my PO doing the initial scan, regardless of whether I dropped it off in person, or it got picked up by our mail man.

Now, three times in a row I didn't get the initial scan (picked up by mail man). The first of the three now arrived - apparently the destination unit and PO did the scans, so this went "ok-ish". Now two more didn't get the initial scan (but are still in transit). All of these were padded envelopes - light and rather thin, but very clearly with a first class label to be scanned. Is this a problem with these envelopes in particular? Is it a Christmas problem (too busy to scan)? Is it an isolated problem maybe (has somebody else seen the same)? Is there something that can be done to make that initial scan more reliable - except putting things into boxes?

Thanks.

Has nothing to do with the mailers. Just xmas. They get busy and cut corners. They just didn't do the initial scan and they are getting scanned along the way. Always best to make sure they scan though just in case they don't get scanned again. I've had ones not get scanned through the whole process and still arrive (very rare though). My regular carriers scan everything each day. The subs are usually the ones who don't

Tracking incoming shipments is fun too. One went via SmartPost to a town about an hour from here (FedEx fault), then out for delivery. They caught it and rerouted to 'correct destination' (USPS correct). A few hours later it is (again) at a "destination facility", but a different zip this time. Still same (wrong) town though (USPS fault). Will be fun to watch... expected delivery is tomorrow. They could still make it in theory, but I somehow doubt that.

So this "theory" about a busy Christmas might actually be true. Or maybe the shutdown.

I remember those days of dropping off mail and getting the angry stares.

Way back before you had to use tracking for everything and before ebay shipping labels we used to drop our mail off at the post office and they had a full signed checkbook that i left there and they would process it throughout the day for me. They were a very small branch that was supposed to be closed multiple times for slow sales. They did this for myself and another ebay business who i happened to do business with as well. We shipped so much through them they had higher postage revenue than a branch that was much larger. The larger branch turned us down doing it that way. 3 years later that same branch called asking if they could process are mail the same way the smaller branch had. I declined and said we were good.

Much easier these days printing online and having daily pickup

Tracking incoming shipments is fun too. One went via SmartPost to a town about an hour from here (FedEx fault), then out for delivery. They caught it and rerouted to 'correct destination' (USPS correct). A few hours later it is (again) at a "destination facility", but a different zip this time. Still same (wrong) town though (USPS fault). Will be fun to watch... expected delivery is tomorrow. They could still make it in theory, but I somehow doubt that.

So this "theory" about a busy Christmas might actually be true. Or maybe the shutdown.

Best is when the person scanning has the scanner on delivery instead of pickup. Had it happen on a 200+ day and had about 30 emails asking how it was delivered right after they paid or why they hadn't received it lol.

Funny thing is the same guy did it again a few weeks but caught it this time and had to rescan them all.

Do most use Priority as it seems almost the same if not a little cheaper when shipping ? Small items excluded. I'm shipping a Cloud Cookoo and Priority is cheaper than Parcel Post. Thanks

This varies. With the rates as of 9/2014, Priority is cheapest for all weights in zones 1-5. Zones 6-8, priority is cheapest only for 1-3 lb.