Amazon Tax

kunfuzd

What I think happened was that they opened amazon facility somewhere in your state which is probably why they started collecting taxes, but the item that was not taxed came from another warehouse and not the one from your state. Did the items originate from different locations?

Couldn't find anything specific when I tried "Amazon taxable items" on the Internet but you're right about the facility.

I don't know about the origin of the Wi-Fi router but that may be the case...

Is there a way to look that up before OR after a sale?   :shifty:

They started charging sales tax in my state (Tennessee), as well. Ridiculous, since there is no Amazon store I could physically walk in to, if I wanted to purchase something in my state. Not even a corporate office. Just a shipping hub some three hours away.

Now those 20% off sales are only 11.75% off.

I wonder how many states Amazon has a presence in? Between corporate offices, warehouses and shipping centers, the percentage of customers impacted has to be significant and is bound to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I've heard on NPR that Amazon has publicly stated that they're lobbying for a federal law requiring sales tax be required for all online retailers, regardless if they have a presence in the customer's state.  Basically right now, nearly all (if not all states) actually require the customer to track and pay the tax (when they file their state taxes) on goods that they order from out of state when the retailer did not collect the tax up-front.  The vast majority of people simply ignore that law.

Additionally because of Amazon's affiliate program, many states have argued that the presence of people in their state providing those affiliate links and Amazon paying those people -- means that Amazon has a "presence" in the state and therefore Amazon should be collecting the sales tax.  Amazon has always argued that the presence in state requirement is based on having a *retail* presence where customers could visit.  The end-result is usually some kind of deal where Amazon gets favorable tax rates or credits for a distribution center or two and then agrees to start collecting taxes for the state.  California did something like this a few years ago, basically the state bullied a few counties into giving Amazon a break on property taxes, Amazon agreed to collecting taxes for California after 2 years -- and everyone declared victory.  Amazon for getting property to build, I think, 3 new distribution centers in the state -- with reduced property taxes -- and the state closed the loop whole on the thousands of customers that were skipping out on paying their usage taxes (that's what Cali calls their state taxes when a resident files them on their state taxes.)

The side effect of this is, some of Amazon's competitors haven't been targeted by the various states, so they're continuing to ship to them without collecting taxes even though they may have distribution centers or affiliate programs similar to Amazon.  So Amazon is lobbying to level the playing field, by just getting the Feds to pass a universal law requiring it from all online retailers.  If this will ever succeed though, is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

They started charging sales tax in my state (Tennessee), as well. Ridiculous, since there is no Amazon store I could physically walk in to, if I wanted to purchase something in my state. Not even a corporate office. Just a shipping hub some three hours away.

Now those 20% off sales are only 11.75% off.

I wonder how many states Amazon has a presence in? Between corporate offices, warehouses and shipping centers, the percentage of customers impacted has to be significant and is bound to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

There are 20 states that collect for Amazon:

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina