City - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Some of the other threads we have about speculating possible sets in the future or coming up with a personal wishlist got me thinking maybe we should have one for the longest running staple in Lego of City. So simply put what would you like to see as a future City set? (Aside from less coppers. Haha.)

Would love to see another Street Sweeper. Perhaps a larger one, it`s just really cool. The Winder Turbine set from a few years ago was neat as well (though I believe it was Creator), and another in the City line would be do able IMHO. Probably my top 2 are those  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

A lego college campus theme would be interesting. Chem/bio/geo labs, mechanic/shop labs, dental/nursing labs, fraternities/sororities, gymnasium, library (some of these were already mentioned), on campus coffee shop, ampitheater, basketweaving workshops (for the less ambitious), track and field, drama etc. You could insert what ever and it would work for a college theme.

LEGO_MF05_graduate.jpg

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

From an investor's standpoint, I'd like to see the theme canned as there's been no money in it since the 3182 Airport went. I'm getting really tired of boring old police/fire stations and refreshes of the same old crap. For collectors and builders, CITY needs a complete overhaul with completely new subthemes.

I agree with you Tabby. Just there is a handful of City sets which do make money. Myself, for example, I am very busy at the moment with the 3368 Space Centre. I have sold 3 in 5 days with 50% profit. You just have to pick the special sets. I can see the mine doing good after EOL as well.

p.s. I did not forget your offer. 

A lego college campus theme would be interesting. Chem/bio/geo labs, mechanic/shop labs, dental/nursing labs, fraternities/sororities, gymnasium, library (some of these were already mentioned), on campus coffee shop, ampitheater, basketweaving workshops (for the less ambitious), track and field, drama etc. You could insert what ever and it would work for a college theme.

Amusement park series.  Could be a summer seasonal like the Winter Village is.

I really like both of these ideas.  Especially the amusement park idea.  I know we're getting some sort of amusement park modular this year, but having a whole theme would be awesome.

I feel as though City could be better if they continue to spread their choices in designs across various venues like they have been in recent years. The Police stuff has been rather repetitive anymore and there is only so much that can be done with the Firefighters but all the pedestrian and work related vehicles such as the Logging Truck, Camper Van, Flatbed Truck, Grand Prix Truck, etcetera, are what I would like to see more of personally. Now I don't mind a copper or fireman every once in a while but a true city is comprised of houses with people living in them, streets to drive on, and jobs to go to. I guess though Creator has become the 'go to' theme for building homes but even then I wouldn't mind seeing another set like this once more.

set.jpg%3Fds.jpg

• Like 2

I feel as though City could be better if they continue to spread their choices in designs across various venues like they have been in recent years. The Police stuff has been rather repetitive anymore and there is only so much that can be done with the Firefighters but all the pedestrian and work related vehicles such as the Logging Truck, Camper Van, Flatbed Truck, Grand Prix Truck, etcetera, are what I would like to see more of personally. Now I don't mind a copper or fireman every once in a while but a true city is comprised of houses with people living in them, streets to drive on, and jobs to go to. I guess though Creator has become the 'go to' theme for building homes but even then I wouldn't mind seeing another set like this once more.

I agree. The City theme could use some more houses ans other buildings that are not Police and Fire Stations. I have seen to many repeats of those sets, and I'm tired of seeing the same set with a small modification over and over. The City theme could also use some expansion. The Farm sub-theme was a great because it was all the stuff outside the city. That being said, the Arctic sub-theme will be a nice addition to City.

I'ld love to see a LEGO store as a City set, would go great with the LEGO truck.

Possibly also a subtheme of City relating to more educational things, librarys, schools, those little information kiosks set up along highways that you visit when you really need to use the bathroom after a long drive... ect.

I think City needs fresh subthemes too, but I would like them to focus on the actual parts of the City. Imagine rotating subthemes such as:

Downtown - taller office buildings, food trucks, stadium or arena, tv station

Main Street - smaller versions of retail buildings (like the new coffee and bike shop), a post office, an SUV with soccer mom, Joe the plumber with plumbing van

Industrial park (admittedly may not be the best seller and probably a no go) - roll in the cargo theme and release sets related to industry such as factory, distribution center, semi truck, etc. Could also add the Cargo train to the subtheme.

Recreation - park, zoo, gym, theme park, etc.

Sports (could pair with Recreation subtheme) - Little league diamond, outdoor ice rink, basketball court, paintball course, etc.

I also want them to bring back the Construction subtheme. What a great group of sets.