LOTR pirate ship ambush or Vampyre Castle?

Anomandaris

Hello everyone. New member here. Just started collecting lego for fun a couple months ago. Discovered there are so many awesome sets, and realized I couldn't just keep on buying everything without funding my hobby from other means. So decided to look at investing in sets and sell them at profit, which led me to this awsome site.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should go the the pirate ship ambush for 69.99 at TRU (after the $20 discount) or the Vampyre Castle for 89? From where I am (Central IL) the Vampyre Castle is harder to find. But the pirate ship seems to be a very good deal.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Like 1

The Vamp Castle is all done so it will see returns sooner. The ship will likely be around another year. The ship always seems to be on sale too so you'll have more chances to stock up on it.

Welcome to the group!

Agreed.  You'll likely need to wait quite a while to see returns on the ship.  I'd VC it.  In a perfect world, buy multiples of both!

+1 for the VC.

If you can scrap together $225, the TRU on eBay deal ($20 off for every $75) is pretty good.  You can get two VCs and throw in another $6 worth of LEGO and that's $60 off the purchase.

Only risk is TRU does a horrible job at packing and shipping.  The boxes won't be mint.  The two VCs I ordered arrived in decent condition.  I couldn't find any in store so this was my best and only option to pick some of these up.

Both are quality sets.  The VC is a very popular set among BrickPickers...maybe too popular, but nonetheless, it is a great set to build, display and collect.  As for the Pirate Ship Ambush, ships always seem to appreciate well, especially with multiple minifigures.  

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yup, will go for the VC. Will be having a hard time not building it. The MOnster Fighters sets were the once that really got me interested in Lego. Haunted House was my first purchase above $100.

Also experience the bad packaging on the TRU deliveries. I got 2 Lego Movie sets, and there was not one shred of bubble/cushioning in the box.

Both are quality sets.  The VC is a very popular set among BrickPickers...maybe too popular, but nonetheless, it is a great set to build, display and collect.  As for the Pirate Ship Ambush, ships always seem to appreciate well, especially with multiple minifigures.  

This one has an exceptional array of minifigures too - quite a few that are army builders as well as good normal figures. Can't beat 9 figs.