Retired sets

Ryount

Being able to predict or anticipate retirement is a skill that you need to hone over hours of forum reading and such.  Good luck!

He was asking how to check if a set retired or not. If it is not officially retired, then, technically, well, it is not retired...

go to http://shop.lego.com/en-US/

enter set number in the search bar, for example 7964

Result page will have the image of the set with "retired product". You will also see "retired product" if you click on that set

Also, on the same site, you can search using "retiring soon" filter, though there could be sets that pretty much everybody thinks they are "retiring soon", but TLG does not really have to confess, and there are no guarantee that set will actually go through "retiring soon" phase. It could go to "sold out" and/or "call to check availability", and straight to retired

• Like 1

No info on this site says if a set is retired or not. Most just know which sets are still available. I beleive brickset.com has retirement dates. Any sets in particular you were wondering about?

Brickset simply keeps track of when a set goes out of stock.  Unless you have insider information you can only know if a set is retired when it is listed as such, and even then LEGO can still surprise you...

He was asking how to check if a set retired or not. If it is not officially retired, then, technically, well, it is not retired...

go to http://shop.lego.com/en-US/

enter set number in the search bar, for example 7964

Result page will have the image of the set with "retired product". You will also see "retired product" if you click on that set

Also, on the same site, you can search using "retiring soon" filter, though there could be sets that pretty much everybody thinks they are "retiring soon", but TLG does not really have to confess, and there are no guarantee that set will actually go through "retiring soon" phase. It could go to "sold out" and/or "call to check availability", and straight to retired

I know what he was asking, I was implying that with all the OOS/retiring soon/retired monikers being added and (sometimes) being taken away that there is no simple answer or guarantee that something is retired until it's been down for a fair bit.

I would hardly call anticipating retirement dates a skill, it's guess work.

I would have to disagree completely.  I agree that no one knows for certain and there are many factors to consider, but I'd bet that someone, like, say, Emazers, would be pretty accurate in predicting retirement dates.  (Not the actual date, but say within a given time frame)