What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 6 years later...

Sold a 9496 Desert Skiff for $64 (shipped) Amzn FBM.  I actually bought this about a year and-a-half ago, on Brickclassifieds for my own collection... to go with my Sail Barge I haven't built yet.  Finally decided I have too many "yet-to-be-built sets"... gotta let some stuff go.  Made 50% net profit on it... not bad for a 18 month hold?

Edited by Kenxxx
  • Like 3

Sold my last free sealed iron patriot. $26 shipped .. I had over 20, sold them all for $26-$35. was gonna keep one, but the value just keeps on sinking. Rather take my chances with FN -2187 ( too bad they aren't free!) .. Well at least not YET..

Sold the 70727 Ninjago X1 Charger I bought last Wednesday from TRU on EBay today for $70 + shipping. Picked the set up to get the free Bionicle, never hurts to actually make some money on it ....

That's awesome! Can't believe I may now be in the market for these.

19 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

That's awesome! Can't believe I may now be in the market for these.

As a buyer? Or to unlock those from the vault and start listing them? When I researched the set on my cell while picking sets in the TRU, this one surprised me because:

1) There were very few listings

2) The listings I saw were all >$60

3) One seller sold 4 of them for $70 each in the period May-Jul.

So I figured I'd take a gamble. My 70724 Ninjacopter however still hovers (pun intended) unsold ......

• Like 2

On 1 July 2016 at 10:16 PM, feed said:

UK Tax law is somewhat stricter, to say the least.  £1000+ profit and you have to declare and that was only introduced this tax year, prior it was any profit.  Also you have 3 months to register or face a fine.  

Sorry for the off topic.

Do you have a link for that? Haven't got lazyitis but can't find anything online which refers to that.

cheers 

Guest TabbyBoy

Another SSD for £700 cash locally (shhh!)

A bunch of CITY and Friends sets on eBay and Amazon (declared on tax return spreadsheet)

In reality, ANYTHING (however small) deliberately sold for a profit has to be declared. I rent out property so I have a fill in a tax return every year which is a pain in itself. Yes, tax is taxing - VERY. I have a spreadsheet for all eBay/Amazon/Gumtree sales and attach this with all cost/sale/profit/loss data and have all receipts to hand. What do I do for cash sales? Shhh....

If you don't inform HMRC, you will be caught either by eBay or a jealous competitor grassing you up. Also HMRC are actively seeking out small volume sellers on eBay and Amazon as they are easier to prosecute.

How do I know? I got grassed up by a jealous work colleague and slapped with a massive fine (to avoid prison) a few years ago when I was ignorant (no excuse) of the rules.

There is one way to minimise tax liability and this is to state that you are selling your personal collection (in some cases that's what it is) and you will then have to pay Capital Gains Tax which has a higher threshold which won't even affect the small fry among us.

This alone is the biggest headache in selling online. Be prepared to lose over 50% of your selling price in fees/postage/tax. If you're only selling an item for double what you paid, you'll really not make anything and it's hardly worth bothering.

As an example... If you bought a modular Fire Brigade for £100 and sold it for £300, you'll only make £86 profit after fees, postage and income tax. Also, it's only £35 profit if you sold it for £200 and that'll be wiped out if you get the item returned. This assumes that a postage service like Collect+ is included in the selling price.

By far, the biggest selling fee of all in the UK is income tax and you have no choice unless you want to end up in debt or worse!

If you are unsure, SEE AN ACCOUNTANT NOW 

SCARED? YOU SHOULD BE!

SORRY? YOU WILL BE!

Hmmm... Have you wondered why eBay UK is registered in Luxembourg? That's because it's a tax haven!

Edited by TabbyBoy
Typo

Sold 24+ lbs of mostly MegaBloks on CL for $30. These were sorted from of many lots of Lego over the past year. The guy said his 7 year old was so excited for them. I'm so happy to be rid of them. I have 2 more older MB/ect... bins now to dig out. Sorry, there are some Lego pieces mixed in to make this thread worthy.

MegaCrap%202_zps2q4c0m9p.jpg

MegaCrap (1).jpg

Edited by MarleyMoose
  • Like 1

Sold my last eighteen 10188 Death Stars FBA for $610-$628. Averaged $506 after all fees and costs. Buy in $252 per set.

Was hoping for a better price prior to the 75159 reveal but a few sellers using repricers came with enough supply to last the entire year. The reveal is rumored to be SDCC and the price $499.99 USD. If that pans out these bigger sellers using repricers will cause a rapid tumble in prices once other people start dumping stock and we will likely see a $100 price drop quickly (hint don't price match them as their algorithm is set for a price drop on a 3 way or greater match so just undercut them by a few dollars if you want to move your stock).

If the new set disappoints I will likely rebuy 10188 on bricklink/brickowl/brick classfieds/craigslist for a long term hold. It is a fantastic set.

• Like 4