10144 - UCS: Sandcrawler

bibious

I will say its definitely the time to sell if you still have them - but the price will eventually go back up - just as it will for 6210. Once they are gone, the sets will both be sought after and compared respectively.

I'm seeing prices still on the decline for 6210. Maybe it will increase a tad when the new Sail Barge is put out of it's misery.

It appears we'll be getting a refresh. No official confirmation but we'll know soon enough with Toy fair around the corner.

The Sail Barge was the first Star Wars refresh I've experienced since investing and it hasn't been pretty. Take a look at the price recent price reports from BP and Bricklink (pics attached). There's little demand for it. Sad thing is that 75020 isn

It's more that a bit sad that the Lego reseller market has become like it is. Years ago, resellers would have had the discipline to do a better job at keeping prices up. Today, there are just so many resellers out there that will dump the sets, without a care for the big picture - so that reality leaves you no choice but to look for a chance to sell the sets at a descent price.

The original Barge was so much better than the new one (in many ways), and as a collectible it should be able to retain value.

Buyer demand for the original sets isn't really the big problem here. There are just so many sellers who now believe that they have to sell in these situations - and unfortunately (due to themselves) they are now right.

It's the market driving the prices down more than the sellers. If you're looking for a Sail Barge, Star Destroyer or what ever are you going to pay 3x retail for an older set? Or will you go grab one at Wally World for 1/3 the price? I totally agree with you about the superiority of 6210 over the refresh, but most consumers aren't going to see that.

• Like 1

Look at the volume chart for 6210. Volume has plummeted even though prices have dropped 30%. Buyers determine prices, not resellers.

Also be aware that the used sandcrawler price listed here is heavily influenced by many being sold without figs. The actual price of a used set is much higher (or was, when I was watching prices carefully).

• Like 1

It's the market driving the prices down more than the sellers. If you're looking for a Sail Barge, Star Destroyer or what ever are you going to pay 3x retail for an older set? Or will you go grab one at Wally World for 1/3 the price? I totally agree with you about the superiority of 6210 over the refresh, but most consumers aren't going to see that.

A drop in prices after a re-release has always been normal - but the extreme drops that you see nowadays is due to mass dumping. If you watch the next big re-release announcement - you will see a big increase of the older models hitting the market at lower prices (before anyone even has a chance to buy the new ones).

• Like 1

A drop in prices after a re-release has always been normal - but the extreme drops that you see nowadays is due to mass dumping. If you watch the next big re-release announcement - you will see a big increase of the older models hitting the market at lower prices (before anyone has a chance to buy the new ones).

I think I might keep my eye open for a cheap Cantina then.  Would like to add an original Greedo to my collection.

Look at the volume chart for 6210. Volume has plummeted even though prices have dropped 30%. Buyers determine prices, not resellers.

Also be aware that the used sandcrawler price listed here is heavily influenced by many being sold without figs. The actual price of a used set is much higher (or was, when I was watching prices carefully).

Tony, you are correct. Used Sandcrawlers is another set that is commonly sold incomplete. That is why I also look at Bricklink's "exclude incomplete set" historic prices. Only goes 6 months back though.

post-3743-0-71585600-1388612253_thumb.jp

From what I have seen/read it is suppose to retail for around $299. It might not be labeled a UCS set but at that price, it basically is one.

I agree. That is probably why we see 10198 and Cloud City on the UCS poster from the late 2000s. 10144 retailed for $140 from 2007 to 2009 and contained 1,699 elements.

10144 retailed for $140 from 2007 to 2009 and contained 1,699 elements. In 2013, that $140 (from 2007) is about $160 including inflation. Thus I'm not sure why $300 isn't enough to give it 2500+ elements and make it UCS worthy. Decrease the # of minifigs if needed.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

I don't know if anyone has looked at this before, but looking through the listings both live and sold for 6210 a high number of them are 75020. Having so many of the newer sets show up has to have a negative impact on the pricing of 6210. Likewise anyone who simply keys in Jabba's Sail Barge is going to have both sets show up and be faced with a $200 price difference. Someone who doesn't understand the differences between the sets or isn't a collector will chose to save the money and buy the cheaper set. When the Sandcrawler is redone I see the same issues affecting it. Dump it now, you can always buy a few again later once the price drops if the newer set is inferior and you think 10144 will show stronger gains later.

New isn't always better. It just means it will be different. Usually the minifigs are improved but the overall set design is hit or miss. While Jabba's Palace and the Skiff sets were great refreshes, the current Sail Barge is "meh".

Most people will just buy the current available one at retail (or less). Save a ton of money and it's a much easier purchase also. This, demand for the older one declines.

You're most definitely right that newer isn't always better, but in the case of 10144, I have to think there's no way it could be worse.  Not saying I don't like the set, it's awesome, but it's a terrible build.  The set is extremely fragile, and the brick built droids are dumb.  You know the minifigs will get a huge upgrade from the original, and that's why many people buy the sets.  This set will also give folks a new supply of Jawas, which will also draw down the price of the original since it had so many exclusive figures. 

I have a copy of the new Sail Barge, but have yet to build it. I will take people's word that it is inferior to the original, which I believe to be true just by looking at it.   But I did the same thing with 6210, as well.  Sold off the copies I had when I got word the new one was coming out because it was probably the most money a guy was going to get for it.  And sure as hell, prices for 6210 have gone down since the new version came out.  Same can be said for many other models that have seen remakes, and if I owned any Cantinas, I'd sell them as well, because the Dewback and Greedo will no longer be exclusive. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just unloaded my 10144 this past 1/16/14 in ebay for $307 am now ready for the rumoured new  sandcrawler UCS or not.

fair price and buyer pays shipping.  congrats.

i sold a 10144 2 weeks ago w/o a box for $228 plus shipping on bricklink.  the buyer also purchased a no-box 6211 for $180 so i'm thrilled.  now i need to sell a sealed 6211.

i did keep an open box 10144 for myself though as it is a cool set and we have no idea if the new one will be better.

• 3 weeks later...

A drop in prices after a re-release has always been normal - but the extreme drops that you see nowadays is due to mass dumping. If you watch the next big re-release announcement - you will see a big increase of the older models hitting the market at lower prices (before anyone even has a chance to buy the new ones).

Quit your moaning, Lego investing is getting tougher for everyone. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker