Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Disney - New Trilogy planned - Wow

StarCityBrickCompany

It means another generation that will be hooked on Star Wars, thus the continuation of Star Wars Lego sets. Which could mean another generation that could be interested in older Star Wars Lego sets that so many investors are buying/holding. I am not a die hard Star Wars fan, so I am not sure where the story line will continue. Next generations of Jedi vs Sith fighting it out? In any case, this should be good news for all the Star Wars Lego investors.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20121030006384/en/Disney-Acquire-Lucasfilm-Ltd

I just don't know what I think about this yet.

I just logged on to post about this but you beat me to it! I'm with you, I don't know what to think about all this. I guess we will just have to see what happens. I will say this though Disney did manage to do well with marvel without dumbing it down to toddler levels don't you think?? Here is the article I found

It means another generation that will be hooked on Star Wars, thus the continuation of Star Wars Lego sets. Which could mean another generation that could be interested in older Star Wars Lego sets that so many investors are buying/holding.

I am not a die hard Star Wars fan, so I am not sure where the story line will continue. Next generations of Jedi vs Sith fighting it out?

In any case, this should be good news for all the Star Wars Lego investors.

sounds like they will be doing three more movies that take place from where ROTJ left off.

Disney will do a great job...maybe even better than Lucas did with Episodes 1-3(which isn't hard). As for LEGO and LEGO themed investing, it's huge. HUGE. STAR WARS will become the hot theme again. Did anyone ever think why LEGO renewed their license with Lucas Arts for another TEN years when there wasn't any reason to renew an old and tired theme? Why? Because LEGO must have known about this sale the entire time. Regardless, this makes STAR WARS LEGO sets highly attractive once again in my opinion.

Disney will do a great job...maybe even better than Lucas did with Episodes 1-3(which isn't hard). As for LEGO and LEGO themed investing, it's huge. HUGE. STAR WARS will become the hot theme again. Did anyone ever think why LEGO renewed their license with Lucas Arts for another TEN years when there wasn't any reason to renew an old and tired theme? Why? Because LEGO must have known about this sale the entire time. Regardless, this makes STAR WARS LEGO sets highly attractive once again in my opinion.

Yes, it does. 2015 is going to be a fantastic year for selling retired Star Wars LEGO sets.

While this will definitely be good for Star Wars investing, I really hope that they really think through these movies better than 1-3. I am sure Disney will do a good job, Lucas will still be an advisor to the projects. I just hope they don't try to roll out the old characters and throw together 3 more movies to just make money, instead of really moving a good story along that meshes with the original trilogy. I have never read the books, so I have no idea where they take the Skywalkers. With also buying the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise, I will be interested to see if they try that again also. I always thought they ended Crystal Skull with the intention of making Mutt the next IJ with him wanting to try on the hat at the wedding.

Yes, it does. 2015 is going to be a fantastic year for selling retired Star Wars LEGO sets.

all retired sets do you think? Or just sets featured in the new movies?

Umm, there won't be retired sets that feature vehicles, scenes, characters, etc. from the new movie as those sets will be released to coincide with the release of the movie. Sure, Luke, Leia, Han, etc. will likely be in the new movies with vehicles that are similar to what already exist, but the new versions of them will be older so their minifigures will be new. There will be an increased interest in all things Star Wars though during the release and throughout that year.

all retired sets do you think? Or just sets featured in the new movies?

Umm, there won't be retired sets that feature vehicles, scenes, characters, etc. from the new movie as those sets will be released to coincide with the release of the movie. Sure, Luke, Leia, Han, etc. will likely be in the new movies with vehicles that are similar to what already exist, but the new versions of them will be older so their minifigures will be new. There will be an increased interest in all things Star Wars though during the release and throughout that year.

lol you are right sorry in was half awake posting that!

The great thing about new STAR WARS fans being created is that they will want to see the old movies and learn about the history of STAR WARS. The interest this will generate in older LEGO sets cannot be underestimated. For the past several years, the STAR WARS theme has slowly lost market share to other themes. The STAR WARS theme, as of the last month, was actually "below" average when compared to other LEGO themes.

I can see that trend slowly reversing course and STAR WARS sets becoming relevant again over the next two years and then exploding in value when the new movie is released in 2015. LEGO collectors and investors need to seriously reconsider their plans for future purchases and include some new and old STAR WARS sets back in the mix. Here are two quotes that kind of sum it up for me...

"Everything old is new again."

It's news like this that reminds me "god, I'm old". Ah, whatever. In one way, George Lucas signing over his lifes work over to anyone else hits rather hard. But at the same, I realize that Mr. Lucas is how old now? He has always been a very busy creator of fantastical worlds and characters. I would say that at this point of his life, the man deserves a break. He certainly has the finances to live a rather comfortable life and the time to spend with his family & friends. So I'll just say, "Thank you, George Lucas." It feels wierd in a way to sell the rights to Disney, but atleast in the last odd years Disney has been stepping up their production values & talent. Pirates of the Carribean series, Prince of Persia, all the Pixar films (which honestly was all of Pixars talent, not Disney), some others. Course, he could have signed off the rights to some other company (or not at all) just to watch his lifes work 'crash & burn'. So it could be alot worse. All we can do is hope that Disney 'gets it'. In any case, it will be interesting to see where the great space opera of Star Wars can be taken. (And the various parodies that will be spun off!)

I just remembered something rather amusing. A long time ago, when Star Wars was only an idea on paper, George Lucas had gone to Disney in the first place to try and sign up with them. Disney rejected Star Wars, saying something along the lines of, "We're not doing that, who'd actually want to watch it?" (I am not kidding, they really said something like that.) George then went on to do Star Wars without Disney, it became the great phenomena we enjoy, and Disney spent the next decades kicking themselves for missing the opportunity and buttkissing George Lucas so much that Mickey should have a permanently brown nose by now. After all these years, Disney finally does get Star Wars, but not without paying a very, very, steep price. Even in the end, George Lucas wins.

• 2 months later...

This is great news for SW as it will only mean new fanbases to come and people who collect SW. As far as the movies go... well that is something we will have to wait and see what the outcome will be after the movies are released. I would not be suprised to see Disney cracking the whip on a Indiana Jones reboot with a new younger Indy.

This is great news for SW as it will only mean new fanbases to come and people who collect SW. As far as the movies go... well that is something we will have to wait and see what the outcome will be after the movies are released.

I would not be suprised to see Disney cracking the whip on a Indiana Jones reboot with a new younger Indy.

I am keeping guarded optimism for the new SW movies, though I think Disney will do a good job assuming the right story creators are picked. As for Indy, I had always assumed that the end of the 4th movie that they kind of set it up for Shia LeBouf? to take over for his newly wed dad, but who knows. I DON'T want to see Harrison Ford try to lumber through another movie, the last one was painful to watch.

As for Indy, I had always assumed that the end of the 4th movie that they kind of set it up for Shia LeBouf? to take over for his newly wed dad, but who knows. I DON'T want to see Harrison Ford try to lumber through another movie, the last one was painful to watch.

Yeah, but that was before the buyout. Who knows if Disney would want to continue on with Shia's character taking over the role like what Lucas wanted. I personally do not see that happening now that Disney owns the series and with a well known character like Indy vs one who fans were mixed on (Shia's character) I could see Disney doing a total reboot with a new actor as a young Indy after the new SW films get off the ground. Maybe a totally new story or they will go back to the well for a Raiders remake.

I hope that the writer's use the old characters in this next movie, but maybe 15-20 years from where Return of the Jedi left off. It would be great to see all the old characters, mixed in with some new blood, for one last time. Here is the rumored story line for Episode VII according to Wikipedia:

The specifics of the story content of Episodes VII to IX has repeatedly been referred to as vague (particularly when compared to the stories for the prequel trilogy of Episodes I to III, which were relatively better defined).[1][2][3][4] But hints that George Lucas gave over the years about the content of the sequel trilogy included the following (sometimes contradictory) possibilities:

Episode VII would begin roughly 20 (or perhaps 30 or 40) years after the end of Return of the Jedi (according to Lucas in 1980 and 1982).[5][6]

R2-D2 and C-3PO would be the only characters who might continue through all nine films (Lucas in 1980, 1981 and 1983).[5][7][8]

The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the republic (Lucas in 1980).[9]

"It's like a saga, the story of a group of people, a family" (Lucas in 1980).[5]

The focus would be on Luke Skywalker's journey to becoming the premier Jedi knight, with Luke's sister (who was not Leia) appearing in Episode VIII, and the first appearance of the Emperor, and Luke's ultimate confrontation with him, in Episode IX (a storyline as planned pre-1980, according to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz).[1][4][10]

Luke would have a romantic relationship with a female love interest (Lucas in 1988).[3]

The main theme of the trilogy would be moral and philosophical problems, such as the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned (Lucas in 1983 and 1989).[2][11]

The key actors, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, would appear, in their 60s or 70s (Lucas in 1983).[2][12]

In Episode IX, Hamill would cameo, "like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope" (according to Hamill, in 2004).[13]

Lucas biographer Dale Pollock, who had read the original twelve stories written by Lucas, noted that the new episodes would involve character Luke Skywalker in his 30s or 40s. In an interview, Pollock stated that "the three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"[14] Pollock expects the screenplays to follow the treatments written by Lucas.[14]

Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy author Timothy Zahn had been briefed by Lucas on his plans for the various Star Wars trilogies during discussions of the Thrawn trilogy writing. After the Disney announcement, Zahn's trilogy had been speculated as the basis for the new trilogies, but Zahn stated that the Thrawn trilogy would fall into the gap between Episode VI and Episode VII. The third film trilogy would involve Luke's children, as each of the three trilogies would involve different generations of the Skywalkers.[15] Zahn also discussed the speculation about any conflict between the films and the Expanded Universe, stating that the

That is my hope, that they keep up with the episodes 4-6 storyline, but Disney has stated that this will be a completely different story, so I'm not sure.

If they are smart, they will incorporate the old characters in some way, at least for Episode VII. There is plenty of time to bring new characters into later episodes.

If they are smart, they will incorporate the old characters in some way, at least for Episode VII. There is plenty of time to bring new characters into later episodes.

Ford said he was interested in returning to a new trilogy. I have not heard if Hamill or Fisher are interested in reprising their roles. I am sure if the Mouse wants the actors back, the Mouse will get them back by opening their big pockets with a offer they can not refuse...

I hope they get smart and base the post Jedi trilogy off of the fantastic Thrawn Trilogy created by Timothy Zahn. I don't think they will, since they've already said it will be based off of Lucas' initial outline, but we'll see. I don't want to see any cameos from the original cast. OK, maybe a protocol droid appearance with Anthony Daniels playing the voice, but that's it.