71000 - Minifigures - Series 9

TheOrcKing

Series 9  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your most favorite Minifigure from Series 9?

• Waiter
    • Cyclops
    • Hollwood Starlet
    • Heroic Knight
    • Roman Emperor
    • Policeman
    • Chicken Suit Guy
    • Roller Derby Girl
    • Fortune Teller
    • Judge
    • Alien Avenger
    • Mermaid
    • Battle Mech
    • Mr. Good & Evil
    • Forest Maiden
    • Plumber
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite Minifigure from Series 9?

• Waiter
    • Cyclops
    • Hollywood Starlet
    • Heroic Knight
    • Roman Emperor
    • Policeman
    • Chicken Suit Guy
    • Roller Derby Girl
    • Fortune Teller
    • Judge
    • Alien Avenger
    • Mermaid
    • Battle Mech
    • Mr. Good & Evil
    • Forest Maiden
    • Plumber
  3. 3. From a scale of one to ten, how would you rate Series 9?

• 1 - Dull
    • 2 - Poor
    • 3 - Mediocre
    • 4 - Below average
    • 5 - Average
    • 6 - Above average
    • 7 - Well done
    • 8 - Superb
    • 9 - Excellent
    • 10 - Perfect

I'm getting REALLY impatient for the series 9!

We managed to find ONE on the floor at the LEGO store in King of Prussia, PA but nothing since.

I'm growing impatient myself. My hands are aching to 'smoosh' some mystery packs!

It's a travesty that TRU sells them for MORE than $2.99 and, even worse, I saw them for $3.99(!) at Barnes and Noble...are they on crack? Not cool.

Seriously uncool. At $3.99 that makes a complete set of 16 cost $63.84!

Also, another complaint about TRU is their minifigure inventory. They had series 6 left over and told me the inventories, at three separate stores, were all over 100 units....checked all three area stores...nothing. Are they horrible or do that many really go "missing"??

My nearby Target had Series 6 listed on their website as well right before Christmas. Went there and they had some Series 7 and hundreds of Series 8! No Series 6 anywhere. Even asked customer service about it. The woman behind the counter said the computer had them listed with a stock of -86.

Wait, what?!

Hopefully I'll see something new in store this week or the next.

I have always had problems with finding minifigs and polys at my local TRU. For instance, last week I noticed I could order some Mirkwood elfs for pickup at my store. Didn't bother to place the order and figured I would just stop in and pick some up in the store. I couldn't find any. I am pretty sure if they are available for pickup that they should be in stock at that store (could be wrong).

I am pretty sure if they are available for pickup that they should be in stock at that store (could be wrong).

That's the general idea. I mean, why have a feature that says the item is "In your store" if it isn't true? Between the three main store websites (Wal-Mart, Target, & Toys R Us) and each ones respective "Store Locator" option, Wal-Mart is the easiest but not reliable. Target is tricky but workable and the most reliable. Toys R Us is at the bottom.

Hmm....Is it any wonder why last year Target was ahead of sales over Wal-Mart?

It does seem odd but most of my shopping anymore has been at Target when it used to be Wal-Mart.

How times change, huh?

Last week we ended up in a Learning Express and they had series THREE, 7 and 8. We then called other Learning Express stores in our area and they all had series SIX still in stock. They sell the packs for $3.99 BUT, if you're looking for past series, it's worth looking into. When I called they were all really friendly and were happy to tell me what series they had AND how many!

From what my boss tells me, Lego is a very interesting company. It frustrates him that they sell to Walmart, Target, and TRU all before he can even get anything. His shipment from Lego, which includes series 9, is due to arrive Friday or Monday. Everything is shipped out of Houston if that helps anyone.

Where do you work that you are getting the series 9 this weekend?

Hopefully it's true!!! LET"S SMOOSH!!!

Hehehehehehee :)

I have always had problems with finding minifigs and polys at my local TRU. For instance, last week I noticed I could order some Mirkwood elfs for pickup at my store. Didn't bother to place the order and figured I would just stop in and pick some up in the store. I couldn't find any. I am pretty sure if they are available for pickup that they should be in stock at that store (could be wrong).

I drove to three stores on one night and felt SO deflated and depressed by the end.

It damaged my LEGO soul.

I love how TRU jack up all the prices then put them on "sale".

It thrills me! No, really! It does!

Where do you work that you are getting the series 9 this weekend?

Hopefully it's true!!! LET"S SMOOSH!!!

Hehehehehehee :)

I had lied actually. The shipment comes in tomorrow. 4 boxes of minifigs series 9 came out to be $488.40. I think my boss has them for 3.99... He has to make a living somehow and the margin of profit with Legos is very slim, and they increase the prices making it worse. But I do have a 30% discount... I am a prosmoosher. When no one is in the store I stand there and smoosh away.

But I work in my town's toyshop. Owned by someone in town as well. This is his retirement job haha. It isn't a chain. Only one in CT. He doesn't drop prices for sale though. Unless things that are not moving at all like those Star Wars Planets. So he still has The Mill Village Raid 7189 for $75...

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to my local stores and nothing yet. For me, sometimes it seems to take a whole month after the official release for my Target to get the current series. (Wal-Mart never gets them, last year around the holidays was the only time they ever got any of them) Maybe I'll get lucky next week. If not, well there is always the next.

About to go out to "smoosh" some bags now. I always find it awkward standing in the store having a feel so I usually dont stay long, anyone else feel this way? Hopefully this time I'll be able to get my hands on a knight/waiter. I have 3 chicken suit guys now, everytime I was convinced it was a knight so heres hoping my technique has gotten better.

About to go out to "smoosh" some bags now. I always find it awkward standing in the store having a feel so I usually dont stay long, anyone else feel this way? Hopefully this time I'll be able to get my hands on a knight/waiter. I have 3 chicken suit guys now, everytime I was convinced it was a knight so heres hoping my technique has gotten better.

I do, that is why I just grab a couple then end up buying what I need later. I get a lot of double but there is the option of selling/trading those.

I love standing in one place for a half hour smooshing bags. I always hope a Target (or wherever) employee will come up and ask me what the hell I'm doing. I get a lot of funny looks, but no one ever has the courage to say anything to me. The best is when the moms with the carts full of stuff roll by and stare at me. Lol.

I got my waiter! After about 20 mins of feeling some bags a child and his mom came over and started doing the same. It was a bit awkward at first but then she moaned jokingly saying "Im an expert at this, every time we come here its always this", they were both feeling through the bags while stating the contents confidently. We got talking about how popular the minifigures were and stuff and eventually I was asked which figure I was looking for, so when I said the waiter they were both like "oh! We just found one earlier!" She then ordered her kid to find it again and I was handed the bag (they were only there for like 5 minutes!) I couldnt decline it out of kindness so I kept it, but I found out they were right when I got home! When I asked what they were after they said mr good and evil, so I stayed for a bit to try help find it but I didn't have a clue, so I thanked them and left them to it, didn't bother going through the rest of the bags. Basically if a friendly parent/child offers to help, accept the offer and watch them go!

I love standing in one place for a half hour smooshing bags. I always hope a Target (or wherever) employee will come up and ask me what the hell I'm doing. I get a lot of funny looks, but no one ever has the courage to say anything to me. The best is when the moms with the carts full of stuff roll by and stare at me. Lol.

I know right? Theres only so many rolling eyes I can take, but I guess the joy of getting guesses right makes up for it.

They showed up at our local TRU like the guy said yesterday. My son had a list for me, and we did our search. I am a complete rookie when it comes to "smushing", so I was lost at first, but started to get the hang of it. TRU had been open an hour from when we got there, and you could tell someone had already rifled through them, so I was hoping I would find my lady archers. We picked up 7 bags and picked up the following: (2) Female Archer - I wanted (1) Cyclops - My son wanted (1) Tarot Reader - A friend wanted (1) Green Alien Space guy - A miss, but son thought was cool anyway (1) Mermaid - I wanted (1) Caesar - I wanted We were 6 out of 7 for guessing what was in them from "smushing", I still want a Knight, only one I couldn't accurately find that we wanted. I definitely felt like a ****** for a bit, but after the sales guy came by and helped find some, I felt more at ease since I felt like I was doing something wrong, but he said not to worry about it as he was Lego guy too. I have a feeling he was probably the one that went through them early that morning to be honest:)

For those wanting to know what to feel for in the Series 9 bags, here is a quick cheatsheet: Alien Avenger: pistol with 2 barrels, armor Battle Mech: large shoulder pads, armor Chicken Suit Guy: wings Cyclops: club Forest Maiden: dress slope, bow, oval shield Fortune Teller: dress slope, two 1x2 tiles Heroic Knight: sword, triangle shield, armor Hollywood Starlet: dress slope, trophy Judge: gavel Mermaid: fish tail, starfish Mr. Good and Evil: top hat, bottle Plumber: plunger Policeman: handcuffs, 1x2 tile, legs (not dress slope - so you know it's not the fortune teller's 1x2 tile) Roman Emperor: 2x2 tile Waiter: round platter, wine bottle Roller Derby Girl: skates (or none of the other elements listed since the skates are small and may be difficult to find) Hope this helps everyone get the minifigs they want!

We were 6 out of 7 for guessing what was in them from "smushing", I still want a Knight, only one I couldn't accurately find that we wanted. I definitely felt like a ****** for a bit, but after the sales guy came by and helped find some, I felt more at ease since I felt like I was doing something wrong, but he said not to worry about it as he was Lego guy too. I have a feeling he was probably the one that went through them early that morning to be honest:)

If it helps I found out that the helmet for the knight minifigure comes in three separate pieces. The first piece is a basic round smooth helmet like you got with the classic space themes so it is very distinctive. The visor is separate and the feather piece is also separate. Like buckeyefandan said the sword and shield is also quite distinctive. I think it has the most parts out of the whole series so you might want to tilt to the side and check its thickness against others to compare.

I still suck at the feel method. Is the key to isolate certain items? I always have trouble doing that. The fn baseplate always gets in the way or I always just feel the torso. Seems like I cannot isolate the smaller pieces.

Yeah, the baseplate loves to get in the way, doesn't it? But yes, the key is to figure out what pieces are unique to that character. Like with the Series 8 "Lederhosen Guy", he was the only one with a 'forestman's cap' and a pretzel. For me, the cap was very easy to feel for. Not the pretzel. (In some ways the preztel could be mistaken for the "Football Player"s trophy.)

It REALLY helps to have a 'smoosh list' printed out before hand or maybe a sheet with an image of every character in the current series before you go out to whichever store around you has them. I have such a printout listing the specific items to feel for in Series 9 that will tell me exactly what character it is. For instance, the "Roman Emperor" is the only one with a flat 2x2 tile. So that is what I will feel for. I could post a 'what to feel for' list here if you want.

Here's a couple of tips. Sometimes before you can start 'smooshing', you may need to hold the mystery packet by the top and shake it down a bit to 'loosen' everything up. (Both the pamphlet and baseplate want to get in the way.) Also, if you can get all the parts into one corner, it makes it easier to 'feel out' one part at a time and move it to the other side if it turns out to be one of the common pieces. (A pamphlet, baseplate, torso, legs, and head are in every pack. Only a select few characters have special torso's or legs.) One technique that helps a lot is if you can get a part by itself into one corner away from all the others. This way you can not only feel with your fingers, but you can use the edge of your nails to feel the creases/nooks/edges of the part. This is what helped me find all eight of my "Business Men" and six "Santa"s. (Don't anybody ask for them or any other one I have, each one I got is for a future MOC. One way or another. Not even for a Series 1 "Zombie".)

I hope atleast some of this helps. It is a little tricky trying to put into words something that I do naturally.

I basically just 'tune out' everything else and let my fingers do the work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not normally very into these collectible mini figures. My favorite part is killing an hour here and there by feeling the bags and trying to determine who is inside. But I am curious to see some of these. My kids will want some of them too, based on the titles. I am eager to see Chicken Suit Guy! :) Please keep us posted if pictures come out or anything.

i created a "bump code" video for series 9.

but i'm not sure if it's against policy to post it. :(