Architecture/Technic Investment Questions

Since these themes are not ones I am very knowledgeable about, can anyone share some opinions here?

I know the big box retailers don't carry these usually, so anytime we get a 25% coupon from B&****** or whatnot, should I be picking up Arch sets? I am a little leery on the investment value of these, as the primary driving investment force seems to be minifigures, and obviously these have none. Should these be flipped for a 10-15% profit after coupon? Or held on to? Which of these sets will be worth holding on to? If any?

Technic - Similar sort of thing. Should I be using TRU coupons/discounts to load up on some of these sets? Any thoughts as to what makes a technic winner/loser?

Just looking for some basic/starter strats on these themes, or if the money is better spent elsewhere...

Thanks!

(NOTE: I have no official LEGO stores in my reach)

Quick rundown:

Architecture - targeted toward AFOLs (that have investment $).  Two sets are officially retired and have great ROIs from MSRP: 21001 John Hancock and 21016 Sungnyemun.  Both had lower production runs than most other Architecture sets, so that also may factor into their appreciation.  The Amazon sellers went crazy selling Architecture sets for double and triple MSRP this holiday season, so there's gotta be some demand for these sets.  There is a Frank Lloyd Wright subtheme that some people speculate will take off after retirement since FLW has great name recognition among non-Architects, and a couple of these sets may retire this cycle. 

Technic - Sets usually do well post-EOL, but there haven't been any Market Street or Cafe Corner blow out winners.  Since 2005, average ROI of a Technic set is 107%.  Technic fans tend to like the construction vehicles, especially cranes.  Read my two blog entries for more info here and here.  The first reviews retired sets and the second estimates ROI of current sets based on a linear regression model.

• Like 2

Architecture - targeted toward AFOLs (that have investment $).  Two sets are officially retired and have great ROIs from MSRP: 21001 John Hancock and 21016 Sungnyemun.  Both had lower production runs than most other Architecture sets, so that also may factor into their appreciation.  The Amazon sellers went crazy selling Architecture sets for double and triple MSRP this holiday season, so there's gotta be some demand for these sets.  There is a Frank Lloyd Wright subtheme that some people speculate will take off after retirement since FLW has great name recognition among non-Architects, and a couple of these sets may retire this cycle. 

^^

Yea, I noticed this and was a tad confused, I saw some sets selling on Amazon for $75 or so, but that could be ordered online, even from the Lego shop, at MSRP, so i was a tad confused.

Thanks much for the insight!

From my experience: yes but may depend on the sets.

For example:

1. I bought a few seattle space needles and empire states = difficulty flipping them for the time being

2. Sold 2 Villa Savoys and made 30$ on each but took time to sell them

2. I bought 2 Sungnyemuns a month back and sold on of them for double what I paid for and the other one for tripple (quick flip)

Conclusion: Architecture can be a great investment but might need to wait for EOL on some of the sets.

Regarding Technic, honestly, it's an underrated theme from most of the investors. Medium-Large Technic sets almost always yield good returns after EOL. Get them at a good discount (anything from 20% an above) and you'll make your money back + profits pretty easy.

Speaking of technic, the Mobile Crane Truck is a definite winner in my book, hope to see some good discounts on that one in January...