Weird Experience @ Lego Store

siddji

So I went to my local lego store to purchase the Technic Crane for $219.99. But then saw Orc Forges on clearance for 20% off. I bought 3 and later came back and bought 3 again as it was quite tempting at $31.99.

When i came home I noticed that they scratched the barcode with a sharpie or a marker.. So it would not scan. I mean on all the sets!! They know that I come in a lot and purchase a lot and in multiples.

Anything like this happen to you before.

Hmm...it's salvage goods if the barcode is marked off by the retailer.  It could be someone that bought it and returned it.  Who knows?

They weren't marked when I picked them off the shelf. As the price was next to the barcode. I think they marked it while I was still looking at other sets in the store.

They weren't marked when I picked them off the shelf. As the price was next to the barcode. I think they marked it while I was still looking at other sets in the store.

So you`re saying that you believe the staff recognized you, and proceeded to mark the sets you were purchasing while you were busy looking at other set? I don`t mean to push, but you don`t watch cashiers when you pay for merchandise? Maybe it`s just me, but my attention is always fixed on them while I pay (that occasionally gets awkward if the cashier is highly attractive.... :wink: ). If I think I`ve missed something, the items generally go directly to my car then back in I go. 

In any case, I purchased a couple of sets at a Lego store last year, when they were giving out free Holiday Boxes. I ended up with two, and both of the barcodes were sharpied. My guess would be that the Orc Forges were on sale, and thus "clearance items". Perhaps the intention was for them to be final sale, if they were indeed returns already. You should still get 30 days based on your receipt though, regardless, so who knows. Just a theory. 

When you say scratched the barcode... Do you mean they completely blocked it out? Or, like they do at my LEGO store, did they write the number 20 across it? Here they write the number of the discount on all the sets that are permanently on sale. My guess is that the person that wrote it has less than stellar hand writing or you didn't see the number 20 because you didn't have a reference point to go on. Take another look and see if it is a number.

Yep, they're just marking them so they know you got them on clearance, in case you decide to return them on a full price receipt you could have. It's nothing personal, they have to treat everyone like a potential crook. ;)

Thanks..That made me feel better.

• Like 1

Actually I spoke with the manager of the Lego store down here and he blatantly said if you buy lego sets from other places you can return them to the Lego store for whatever value they're selling it at currently.  The day of triple poin'ts I returned over $1000 retail value worth of sets that I paid total $340 for picking them up from people and on clearance.

Turned around and used the points online and then used those triple points for getting a grand emporium in the end of it all.

Wow, this sounds like a really spectacular way to conduct your business.

And anyone wonders why they may take steps to stop this behavior, like scratching out barcodes?

• Like 5

I figured it was a surefire way to pick up a cheap UCS SSD for a client who traded me the old sculptures Eiffel tower for it which I ebayed and made more than my hourly build rate would have been anyway so win win, the rest I invested in architecture sets like falling water and willis tower because the lego store employees said they weren't getting anymore in and were going to retire, and I sold some of the credit off to a fellow member here and sent him an Ewok village for 80% of the cost and I got the points for so I didn't mind the discounted price, Gave the wife the $200 from that and she was happy with the wasted gas for the trip etc

I figured it was a once in a year/lifetime type day with it being triple points online only so why not make the best of it

Right, let's all rip off the LEGO store whenever possible.  As long as it's for a good cause, it's ok.

• Like 1

A  manager told me I could break into and steal from the Lego store. I figured it was a surefire way to pick up a cheap UCS SSD.

Any difference here? Anyone?

so you have no problem with taking 10 friends to buy limited sets like the crawler and then reselling them with retarded markups to fans who weren't lucky enough to get one because investors got ahold of all of them, but you have a moral quandry with returning sets and getting triple points?

hippocrite much?

I figured it was a surefire way to pick up a cheap UCS SSD for a client who traded me the old sculptures Eiffel tower for it which I ebayed and made more than my hourly build rate would have been anyway so win win, the rest I invested in architecture sets like falling water and willis tower because the lego store employees said they weren't getting anymore in and were going to retire, and I sold some of the credit off to a fellow member here and sent him an Ewok village for 80% of the cost and I got the points for so I didn't mind the discounted price, Gave the wife the $200 from that and she was happy with the wasted gas for the trip etc

I figured it was a once in a year/lifetime type day with it being triple points online only so why not make the best of it

Wow---you should have rolled your profit into an english comp class at your local community college. 

• Like 2

If they

Why would they ban me if the manager said it was allowable?

I did find out though that there's a $500 return limit but since I could only carry half the stuff in at a time he didn't care

Selling things for a markup and knowingly taking advantage of a policy are not even in the same ballpark. The policy exists so that regular customers can return their product. Not so that people like you can try to find clearance sets all over the place and then return them to the LEGO store for full price.

so you have no problem with taking 10 friends to buy limited sets like the crawler and then reselling them with retarded markups to fans who weren't lucky enough to get one because investors got ahold of all of them, but you have a moral quandry with returning sets and getting triple points?

hippocrite much?

Capitalism at its finest level

• Like 1

Selling things for a markup and knowingly taking advantage of a policy are not even in the same ballpark. The policy exists so that regular customers can return their product. Not so that people like you can try to find clearance sets all over the place and then return them to the LEGO store for full price.

yep guess skipping a few step in the process (the buy low, sell for stupid mark ups, profit, take profit to lego store, buy lego stuff) really pisses some of you off doesn't it?

hippocrite much?

I mean, we all have done and probably do things we shouldn't. I have certainly played dumb when talking to people about wanting to purchase their items, been less than honest with Lego employees about what I am doing with my Legos. But call me out and I will own up to them.

You are defending straight fraud. Not even close to the same thing as buying something and selling it for a higher market value.

Honestly, I don't care what you do. But I wouldn't post it here (because you will get banned, as my original comment suggested) and definitely don't defend it.

Wow---you should have rolled your profit into an english comp class at your local community college. 

Willie, its obvious you are a wealthy man, because this is pure gold.