79010 - The Goblin King Battle

Probably wont be a big winner but what makes this set tempting was the massive discounts, i think i go all of mine around $60 and am hopping to pick up a few more near that price before it gets hard to find. Even if this set sells for retail of $100 you can still get 100% ROI if you bought at $50, given the lego investing market right now im fine with those numbers.

I agree.  Buying this set at 50% off discount can't go wrong.  There are always weird buyers that never buy any Lego sets until they go EOL or OOS, then all of a sudden they are willing to pay for more than MSRP for the sets.

My wife says it's ugly...and she says it with disgust in her voice. She's more of your typical shopping Mom, not a LEGO fanatic, but she likes her Winter sets. Even when we saw it discounted she couldn't get past how ugly it is to even consider it as a parts pack. To me this speaks volumes and proves that the market is vey narrow for this set as shown by the fact that they don't move when discounted. Around here, a 15% off sign will clear a Target shelf of LEGO sets, yet this set keeps soildering on with it's 15%, then 30%, and so on. It's usually the last to go, if at all.

This set has some good qualities that give this  some promise.  The Hobbit/LOTR theme is pretty solid overall.  All the minifigures except Gandalf are exclusive, and we have a maxifigure (Goblin King).  There has been only 1 licensed set that had a $100 price point with 6 exclusive minifigures that tanked and that was Home One.    I hope this set won't share that fate. 

I bought these for $45 and can already sell them for over $100.  If that's what people consider a stinker, I'll take a stinker any day of the week.  This set was a complete no-brainer during Target's 55% off blow-out.  Although we haven't really seen how LOTR sets will do in the after-market yet, I have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which I will lose money on these sets.

I bought these for $45 and can already sell them for over $100.  If that's what people consider a stinker, I'll take a stinker any day of the week.  This set was a complete no-brainer during Target's 55% off blow-out.  Although we haven't really seen how LOTR sets will do in the after-market yet, I have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which I will lose money on these sets.

I agree.  I like this set and at these discounted prices, you can't go wrong.  With the new Hobbit movie just being released and another one coming, this set will be a nice gainer for some people IMO.

You can get rid of these for 100 on Amazon right now. Ebay is going for 50-60 sealed with free shipping. You are still in the red. Great flip right now if you sell on Amazon. The question is: is this set a long term hold.

I am not surprised the set is popular, I don't think it's nearly as bad as some do, but considering it was JUST on sale at $55 at TRU and then $45 at Target... Who the heck is just NOW getting around to pulling the trigger for $100? I also think there will be plenty of these remaining on post Christmas shelves for discount...

• 4 months later...

Forgive my ignorance... I'm new to this business...

... so the last Goblin King disappeared off my local Walmart shelf at $75 a few weeks ago.  Now I've watched them averaging on ebay at about $81 (+ $8 shipping)... maybe about 1-a-day for the past couple weeks?  Is it time to admit that this set was not a loser for all those 'suckers' who picked them up at 50% off?  Or is this just EOL "dead cat bounce"?

I wish I had bought a few (I have zero).  I think it could run higher.

In for ten at an ave price of $54 each...Not sure how I could pass that up.  Maxi Figure, pretty decent price per piece (.064) at that level.

7 of the 8 figs are unique to the set.

Limited run not really, but it was short at 1 year.  What is not to like here when bought at a heavy discount?

I personally thought the set sucked.  I don't like $100 sets that are a bunch of little builds and don't amount to much, ala Mines of Moria, but MoM was better than GK.  I would have invested had I found them sub $50, but never did.  If this gets back to retail, which it should, be happy, take your $20-30 profit, and invest in something else.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...