Christmas Clearance.. What to Expect?

Since this will be my first "After Christmas Clearance" to experience, what can I expect? Are we thinking that Target will mark down sets on the 26th? (which is their normal Thursday markdown day).

Does Walmart Act that fast, or will they individually (store to store) mark down over the next week?

I have to drive almost 1 1/2 hours to get to a few Targets, trying to plan this out.

Do they ever have great deals online after Christmas, or is this mostly in store?

What is has been your experience?

Thanks!

I'm not expecting much this year on the after x-mas clearance sales at Target and Walmart.  The inventory that I would have expected to be marked down has largely already been sold and replaced with new sets.  There may be some deals to be had, but I think it is going to be pretty slim pickings.  This time last year, there were multiple stores around me that were well stocked with the retiring Star Wars sets...this year, I have hardly seen any of the retiring Star Wars sets over the past few weeks.  My sense is that the stores are getting much better with their inventory and product management so that they don't have much left to clearance after x-mas.

• Like 5

I'm not expecting much this year on the after x-mas clearance sales at Target and Walmart.  The inventory that I would have expected to be marked down has largely already been sold and replaced with new sets.  There may be some deals to be had, but I think it is going to be pretty slim pickings.  This time last year, there were multiple stores around me that were well stocked with the retiring Star Wars sets...this year, I have hardly seen any of the retiring Star Wars sets over the past few weeks.  My sense is that the stores are getting much better with their inventory and product management so that they don't have much left to clearance after x-mas.

I agree, stock is really depleted for a large part, unlike last year.

• Like 1

I think some of the SW battle packs will be clearanced out (75000-1, 9488-1, etc.) since there is a new wave of BP's coming out in the 2014 SW line. If you part out sets and minifigs there should be some value to be had. Also battle packs tend to appreciate decently on a percentage basis. Just depends on the store, manager, and your business model.

Walmart's 50% off starts right after Christmas. Like other members have noticed though, the stock of older sets (due to a few reasons) seems to be pretty depleted. You never know though, some stores clearance some strange things at weird times. Last year I got a couple Mil Falcons at half off. It definitely varies by store.

Target's clearance will actually probably start the week before Christmas, they do their markdowns weekly on Thursday, but it will take a few weeks for Legos to hit 50% off. So you won't have to worry about it til mid/late January. I am sure folks here will keep you posted. :)

• Like 1

I expect Epic Dragon Battle, Sonic Raider, and Jabba's Palace to go.  Some might see the Rancor Pit at 50% off as well.  Some of the smaller Star Wars sets will go, along with last year's Galaxy Squad.  The Police Station will be half off, where you can still find them.

I'm curious whether all of Hobbit wave 1 and Lone Ranger will go.  I have a feeling what's left of each will be on the clearance list.

I am expecting the LR to be clearanced. Hopefully they are ay good prices so I can build some of them.

The only TLR I want is the Constitution Train.  I'm probably going to pick it up this week, as it's "50%" off at TRU (well, you know what I mean).  It's for a build.

I'm going to kick myself if it ends up 50% off at Walmart though.  Maybe I'll pick it up at TRU this week, keep it locked up, and return it if Walmart goes lower.

The only TLR I want is the Constitution Train.  I'm probably going to pick it up this week, as it's "50%" off at TRU (well, you know what I mean).  It's for a build.

I'm going to kick myself if it ends up 50% off at Walmart though.  Maybe I'll pick it up at TRU this week, keep it locked up, and return it if Walmart goes lower.

The train is my favorite for the theme, but I really want all the sets to this theme.

Yes, I expect Unexpected Gathering and Lone Ranger to be on the chopping block as well.

Do you know/have a feeling if the set is retiring? I`ve seen signs of it up North here, low/out of stock for the last couple months, but it just seems too early to go. 1 year retail for this particular set just feels to short. Would mean nice profits quicker though. 

Do you know/have a feeling if the set is retiring? I`ve seen signs of it up North here, low/out of stock for the last couple months, but it just seems too early to go. 1 year retail for this particular set just feels to short. Would mean nice profits quicker though. 

Agreed, @rtisan.  While I HOPE UG is done, I think it's got another year.  It's the one set from Hobbit I that is truly iconic, and it is applicable to both Hobbit and LOTR sets.

Agreed, @rtisan.  While I HOPE UG is done, I think it's got another year.  It's the one set from Hobbit I that is truly iconic, and it is applicable to both Hobbit and LOTR sets.

Was thinking that as well. It seems far too iconic to be retired this early. 

It's no longer listed on the Canadian TRU website.

That`s actually the second place I noticed it missing, first my local stores (TRU, Walmart) dried up. Wonder if it will be back after Christmas. I guess that would be weird if they didn`t have it for sale now though. Maybe it is on the way out  :thumbsup: Mirkwood Spiders is gone as well, same with the rest of the 1st Hobbit line (aside from Barrell Escape). 

EDIT: Nevermind, Goblin King is there still as well. In any case, the remainder of Wave #1 is gone. 

Knowing my wife, I can expect my luggage out on the front door with a note that has references to good divorce attorneys.

Since I did the same for thanksgiving and she was pissed.

If that's the case, you better put all your Lego in a trust so your wife can't reach it.  I know a few good financial planners that can take care of that for you.  

On a lighter note, all the local Walmart are cleaned out of the big Star Wars and LOTR sets.  I'll be out of luck on any clearances considering there are so many Massholes on and off this site.