Another LEGO Shop at Home Ban with a twist

justafrog

Okay, when I read the original Bricklink post, my jaw hit the floor. Here's why:

As some of you may remember, I am on the ban list, which is completely my fault, based on ordering history. LEGO caught me, fair and square. I still don't agree with their policy, but I appreciate it. One of the great advantages to not being responsible to shareholders is that you get to make and enforce whatever rules (within the law) that you want.

I too received my ban letter. Now, the ironic full disclosure. I wrote this same individual at LEGO with best story I could come up with. Anyone want to venture what that was? Anyone? Bueller? Yep - I was "purchasing items that were raffled off to provide funds for our local library". You read that right - THE SAME STORY. I am actually the President of Friends of the Library (Frog will know this affiliation). We have done some things with LEGO products, but not nearly to the extent that I claimed in my response to them. LEGO said they would be happy to remove them ban if I provided reimbursement checks/etc. I could have easily come up with this, but was too bitter that I had to "defend" myself.

So now this other person comes along and steals my excuse. Seriously? lol  No wonder Mark at LEGO responded the way he did as he already had heard the same song and dance.

I am not sharing this to get flamed, so please spare me. I just wanted to be upfront and honest with my fellow Brickpickers and to say that all may not be as it appears.

Using the "old" Library excuse to buy mass amounts of LEGO sets.  Poor choice.  I use orphanages and church functions to buy mine... :devil:  :devil:

• Like 2

I'm not saying that LEGO was right or that I agree with bans, but the person writing the post had over a 15,000 feedback from Bricklink. They have been in the "parting and reselling" business for over 10 years from the looks of it. Maybe the library LEGO was legit, but the person looks like a reseller to me. A serious one at that.

agreed.  still lists new and recent sets.  also seems sets were broken down for parting.

http://www.bricklink.com/storeDetail.asp?b=-15657060&h=12184&itemType=S

i will say, the person is a great seller though.  never had a prob buying elements i needed. excellent transactions.

Interesting. You`de think a company would be happy to have people buying loads of their product...

It is amazing how quickly Lego forgot about their hard times 12 years ago and they were practically going door to door 'pushing' sets and begging retailers for a second chance.  5 years ago, they were just happy to be compared to MegaBloks.  Since then, Hasbro and Mattel are now compared to Lego. 

This all started due to written and phoned complaints from parents are retired sets being too expensive.  The newspaper article about the kid who couldn't afford the Emerald Night train also hurt.  Lego wants their product be viewed as toys and not investing collectibles.  Hence, the shop@home bans, current non-discounting of "hard to find" sets, and longer retail life of sets.

agreed.  still lists new and recent sets.  also seems sets were broken down for parting.

http://www.bricklink.com/storeDetail.asp?b=-15657060&h=12184&itemType=S

i will say, the person is a great seller though.  never had a prob buying elements i needed. excellent transactions.

Same here. Great selection and quick service!