I got banned from Lego.com and Toy Dealer dept is not responding...

Yeah, thanks for saying this. This has been my point for years about the whole concept of "Lego scalping." People like to bring up scalping concert tickets to make a point about buying Lego sets for resale (in fact, someone in this thread already has) but it doesn't make any sense to me. First of all, the average Lego set is sold for 2 years. Some less (Architechture Studio; Limited Ed. Crawler) and some more (Death Star; Fire Brigade) but it looks to be around 2 years for the average set. Given this fact, how in the world could anyone "scalp" a Lego set? Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, Lego has the ability to make as many sets as they want! There are only so many tickets to see Miley Cyrus at the Staples Center (during the current tour, anyway) but Lego can keep making sets, right? So please please please someone explain to me how you can scalp something that 1. Is on sale for roughly 2 years and 2. The company has the ability to make an unlimited amount more of. Please, someone explain that.

And yes, you are dead right. There is no way to figure out what an appropriate amount of dead stock to keep on the shelves for grandma is. No matter how many you keep it will never be enough! At some point the sets will sell to someone (leaving grandma empty handed) and at some point there has to be room made for new sets. Toysrus doesn't have room for 1000 different Lego sets.

Lastly, how is it any one person's responsibility to "leave something for someone else" by not paying for it with their own hard-earned money? Lego sets are not given out free. Lego sets are not sold to help sick children dying of cancer. Lego sets are a luxury toy. There is nothing wrong with buying as many as you want/can and it is absurd to suggest that anyone has a moral or ethical reason not to buy as many as they care to--for any reason. Lego sets are not loaves of bread or bottles of milk sold during a hurricane. Do I have a responsibility not to buy every Corvette at the Chevy dealer because others might want one? Would anyone have a problem with it if I did? What makes little plastic bricks so special? Again, we are not talking about food or medicine for starving children in Africa. These are luxury toys. I think we should all keep that in mind when we start talking about a "responsibility to leave some for others."

Just referring to the bold part.... Your argument would actually make sense if only the bold part would be correct, since it is not it makes you look like a 15 year old boy thinking our goods on planet are UNLIMITED.... 

Now just for you my man:

NO! LEGO cannot make any set UNLIMITED amounts because they only have so much production capacity and so many production lines DEVOTED to 1 theme.... 

Now I think its time to hit the school to learn about other things you missed.... I truly wonder how is your cash HARD earned if you think LEGO can do anything UNLIMITED.

man o man... how can some people think that (and we are yet to go into contracts for license which we are unfamiliar with)

I hope you are joking. If not, you need to work on conversational English. Everything is not meant 100% literally. When I say "I'm going to kill you if you do X, Y or Z" to a friend or family member I don't literally mean I am going to kill them, either. Yes, I know lego can not make 5 billion sets. I understand there is a limit at some point. Also please calm down. There is no need to get so worked up.

I hope you are joking. If not, you need to work on conversational English. Everything is not meant 100% literally. When I say "I'm going to kill you if you do X, Y or Z" to a friend or family member I don't literally mean I am going to kill them, either. Yes, I know lego can not make 5 billion sets. I understand there is a limit at some point. Also please calm down. There is no need to get so worked up.

You'll get to know Alcarin's posting style as you get more involved on the site. Most of us have already learned how to live with him lol

And then there is me, who actually thinks there is nothing wrong with ticket scalping...

Of couse there isn't. There are some really good talks online about the subject by some economics professors. "Scalping" is merely creating a real market out of the shell of an artificial one. It's basic economics. The bottom line is that people want what they want when they want it at the price they want it. If they can't have that for some reason they blame anyone who has it. The word "scalping" arose out of the need to demonize people engaging in simple market-based economics.

• Like 2

I know what unlimited means and I know what I read, i do not know you I just read what you write....  I never say I will kill anyone so no i do not understand sorry.... 

You got pretty ''worked up'' by pleading(there is the work up in my opinion) us to explain you how is that scalping ...

You'll get to know Alcarin's posting style as you get more involved on the site. Most of us have already learned how to live with him lol

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww how cute :) *hugs* lol

Of couse there isn't. There are some really good talks online about the subject by some economics professors. "Scalping" is merely creating a real market out of the shell of an artificial one. It's basic economics. The bottom line is that people want what they want when they want it at the price they want it. If they can't have that for some reason they blame anyone who has it. The word "scalping" arose out of the need to demonize people engaging in simple market-based economics.

The big difference is if they want it for themselves or to resell to those who want it for themselves on higher prices... There is the catch...

If youd want 1000 Funhouses for yourself Id say BUY it... if youd want 1000 Funhouses to sell to other 999 people for 50% mark up then Id call it scalping, mainly because distribution cannot be as effective to reach all and you might be a lucky guy... in a perfect world there would be none of this because all would have the same option and their shops would carry the same LEGO or whatever.

First world problems

The big difference is if they want it for themselves or to resell to those who want it for themselves on higher prices... There is the catch...

If youd want 1000 Funhouses for yourself Id say BUY it... if youd want 1000 Funhouses to sell to other 999 people for 50% mark up then Id call it scalping, mainly because distribution cannot be as effective to reach all and you might be a lucky guy... in a perfect world there would be none of this because all would have the same option and their shops would carry the same LEGO or whatever.

But assume that I buy 999 Funhouses to sell them back in my country (where it's almost impossible to find any set). Even if I sell them for 50% more, some people that couldn't get it any other way would at least get a chance to own it

Yeah, thanks for saying this. This has been my point for years about the whole concept of "Lego scalping." People like to bring up scalping concert tickets to make a point about buying Lego sets for resale (in fact, someone in this thread already has) but it doesn't make any sense to me. First of all, the average Lego set is sold for 2 years. Some less (Architechture Studio; Limited Ed. Crawler) and some more (Death Star; Fire Brigade) but it looks to be around 2 years for the average set. Given this fact, how in the world could anyone "scalp" a Lego set? Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, Lego has the ability to make as many sets as they want! There are only so many tickets to see Miley Cyrus at the Staples Center (during the current tour, anyway) but Lego can keep making sets, right? So please please please someone explain to me how you can scalp something that 1. Is on sale for roughly 2 years and 2. The company has the ability to make an unlimited amount more of. Please, someone explain that.

While I have no problem with it being done, scalping LEGO sets certainly exists and it happens all the time. While it sounds nicer to call it flipping, it's the very definition of scalping. When everyone buys all the Dolphin Cruisers to sell on ebay at a higher price during Christmas, that's scalping. It's scalping anytime someone is buying the set for one price and immediately selling it for more. Yes, TLG can make almost any number they want of a set, but there are times like release date and Christmas when the supply can't keep up with demand on popular sets.

• Like 1

But assume that I buy 999 Funhouses to sell them back in my country (where it's almost impossible to find any set). Even if I sell them for 50% more, some people that couldn't get it any other way would at least get a chance to own it

It sounds plausible, but I only see a good excuse for 50% mark up (or any amount of %) If youd really want to give them a chance make a forum post and say you can buy sets for a beer and a pizza and send them to ''your'' countrymen :)

I did it multiple times, even to some on this forum ....

Now thats a way to go :)

It sounds plausible, but I only see a good excuse for 50% mark up (or any amount of %) If youd really want to give them a chance make a forum post and say you can buy sets for a beer and a pizza and send them to ''your'' countrymen :)

I did it multiple times, even to some on this forum ....

Now thats a way to go :)

lol, I don't like most of them that much

While I have no problem with it being done, scalping LEGO sets certainly exists and it happens all the time. While it sounds nicer to call it flipping, it's the very definition of scalping. When everyone buys all the Dolphin Cruisers to sell on ebay at a higher price during Christmas, that's scalping. It's scalping anytime someone is buying the set for one price and immediately selling it for more. Yes, TLG can make almost any number they want of a set, but there are times like release date and Christmas when the supply can't keep up with demand on popular sets.

I fundamentally disagree (please see my previous statements about economics), however I want to ask a different question: The Dolphin Cruiser is sold at the following stores (stores which are in most of the 50 US states): Wal-Mart, Target, Toys-R-Us, Amazon.com, Lego.com/Lego retail stores, probably other regional or mom-and-pop stores that I am probably not aware of. So please explain how I could possibly buy up all the Dolphin Cruisers, even if I wanted to? How would one accomplish this? Again, even if I could I fundamentally disagree that there would be anything wrong with it but I am not sure how I could possibly hope to do it even if I wanted to.

I fundamentally disagree (please see my previous statements about economics), however I want to ask a different question: The Dolphin Cruiser is sold at the following stores (stores which are in most of the 50 US states): Wal-Mart, Target, Toys-R-Us, Amazon.com, Lego.com/Lego retail stores, probably other regional or mom-and-pop stores that I am probably not aware of. So please explain how I could possibly buy up all the Dolphin Cruisers, even if I wanted to? How would one accomplish this? Again, even if I could I fundamentally disagree that there would be anything wrong with it but I am not sure how I could possibly hope to do it even if I wanted to.

Not you alone..... everyone here together are scalping....  Did you even read what Mos_Eisley wrote....

You fundamentally disagree that buying something for one price and then selling it for a higher price is scalping? If that's the case we may as well end the discussion because I didn't make up the definition. No part of scalping requires that anyone is able to buy up the whole supply of a given item.

• Like 1

You fundamentally disagree that buying something for one price and then selling it for a higher price is scalping? If that's the case we may as well end the discussion because I didn't make up the definition. No part of scalping requires that anyone is able to buy up the whole supply of a given item.

Yes, I do. Does buying a share of Microsoft stock and selling it for a higher price constitute "scalping?" Before you say it's different because Lego sets are not shares of stock, let me say this: what if I want a share of Microsoft for $20 but it's trading for $40? Is the person holding the share a "scalper?" Just think about it.

Not you alone..... everyone here together are scalping....  Did you even read what Mos_Eisley wrote....

I would agree with Alcarin.. If you were around on CM or BF, you would quickly realize how so many sets are in the hands of the few (This site does a great job of rallying the troops). Any good deal was sold out in hours if not minutes

Yes, I do. Does buying a share of Microsoft stock and selling it for a higher price constitute "scalping?" Before you say it's different because Lego sets are not shares of stock, let me say this: what if I want a share of Microsoft for $20 but it's trading for $40? Is the person holding the share a "scalper?" Just think about it.

I'm not going to argue definitions. If you don't believe in definitions of things, I'm not going to get anywhere. In regard to your Microsoft question:

http://onswipe.investopedia.com/investopedia/#!/entry/,5228f88bda27f5d9d017da27

I'm not going to argue definitions. If you don't believe in definitions of things, I'm not going to get anywhere. In regard to your Microsoft question:

http://onswipe.investopedia.com/investopedia/#!/entry/,5228f88bda27f5d9d017da27

Exactly. I don't believe that there is such a thing as "scalping." I fundamentally disagree with the word being used as a definition for someone buying something at one price and then selling for a higher price. No one calls homebuyers who sell at a huge profit a few years down the road "scalpers," and some of them (in areas like Seattle, NYC, etc) are making hundreds of thousands of dollars just for holding onto a house for a few years. Also, houses are scarce in those areas and not everyone gets one. Unlike Lego, it's not really possible to make many new houses in those areas (without tearing down old ones). But again, no one calls those people names. No, names like "scalper" are reserved only for people who sell concert tickets, sports tickets, toys and video game systems for a profit. No one calls people who sell shares of stock, cars or houses for huge profits "scalpers." Nope, that's only for tickets and toys. Doesn't this seem a litte arbitrary and silly? So the point is, yes I know what the word scalper means to some people. I just disagree that it should ever be applied to anyone other than someone selling gasoline, bread or milk for an inflated profit during a hurricane or flood.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I am... a scalper

You are... A scalper

He/she is... A scalper

We are... Scalpers

They are... Scalpers

I'd rather call myself an opportunistic middleman.

People hating on other people for making profits are usually envious commie types who resent that some people are just better than them.

Taking advantage of Lego, and/or major resellers under pricing Lego into the Holiday season is more than fair game.  To even imply that there is something immoral or unethical here is beyond anything remotely rational.  I don't care if a guy gotta Troll, at least be semi intelligent about the discussions you want to troll about.

As for Lego clamping down on unofficial Lego resellers.  I think it's cool.  It kind of adds an element of intrigue, getting around some of these hurdles is what is going to separate the winners from the losers.  Such is life.  If you don't like it get a helmet!

• Like 2