$90 Helm's Deep. Cyber Monday Target: Buy 1 Get 30% off

jaisonline

It's way too early to be stocking up on that.  It's got at least another year before retirement.

I think 40% off is a good trigger point for any set.  Plus, there is no way to tell if you will see that discount again.  Just think back to all those poor people who did not take advantage of triple VIP points or the sales on Modulars, HH, and others before the discontinuation of the large set discounts.  Bird in hand as they say...

• Like 1

People also need to think about storage / space issues.  Some people will need to consider this aspect and focus on sets that will be retiring this year.

Exactly.  If your starting point is 40% off MSRP, you can make money flipping almost any set except Racers...LOL

You can always make money at 40% off, no matter what point the set is at in it's cycle.

People also need to think about storage / space issues.  Some people will need to consider this aspect and focus on sets that will be retiring this year.

Valid point...But what sets are you sure will retire?  LEGO has completely changed the way they retire sets.  As I said before...Bird in hand.  Figuring out the storage issue is easier than guessing EOL dates.  Throw out some crap...LOL

Better yet, let Amazon store it for you!

Valid point...But what sets are you sure will retire?  LEGO has completely changed the way they retire sets.  As I said before...Bird in hand.  Figuring out the storage issue is easier than guessing EOL dates.  Throw out some crap...LOL

Better yet, let Amazon store it for you!

touche!  ha.  educating guesses that most of Lego's movie-themed sets only last 2 years. Hence, many of us are focusing on the sets that debuted around Dec 2011 / Jan 2012 or is listed as a "retired product" (e.g. Batcave, Wolverine, Jabba's Palace, Quinlet, Batmobile, Helm's Deep, etc...)

note: minor update to wording.

I think 40% off is a good trigger point for any set.  Plus, there is no way to tell if you will see that discount again.  Just think back to all those poor people who did not take advantage of triple VIP points or the sales on Modulars, HH, and others before the discontinuation of the large set discounts.  Bird in hand as they say...

To each his own, but you're giving up the time value of that money in order to lock in a discount, which IMHO doesn't make sense.  I'd rather spend that $60 on a set that will retire in the next few weeks and that can be sold for a profit in the next 12 months, and then buy that LOTR set next year when it's getting ready to retire and is being discounted accordingly.

• Like 1

You can always make money at 40% off, no matter what point the set is at in it's cycle.

Sure, but if you buy that set today and have to wait two years to sell it, you've left money on the table since you could have bought sets that will retire this year, sell them next year and use those proceeds to buy sets that will retire next year and then could be sold the following year.  It's a much better use of capital IMHO.

touche!  ha.  educating guesses that most of Lego's movie-themed sets only last 2 years on avg. Hence, many of us are focusing on the sets that debuted around Dec 2011 / Jan 2012 (e.***. Batcave, Wolverine, Jabba's Palace, Quinlet, Batmobile, Helm's Deep, etc...)

Helm's Deep did not debute at 2011 Dec or 2012 Jan as far as I know....

always try to hold onto sets for 2-3 years if using the "long investment" approach.   1 yr usually isn't enough growth.

Sure, but if you buy that set today and have to wait two years to sell it, you've left money on the table since you could have bought sets that will retire this year, sell them next year and use those proceeds to buy sets that will retire next year and then could be sold the following year.  It's a much better use of capital IMHO.

To each his own, but you're giving up the time value of that money in order to lock in a discount, which IMHO doesn't make sense.  I'd rather spend that $60 on a set that will retire in the next few weeks and that can be sold for a profit in the next 12 months, and then buy that LOTR set next year when it's getting ready to retire and is being discounted accordingly.

Here's the thing...I agree with your point...but that is old school LEGO investing.  EOL dates are very tricky to predict right now.  You can easily be off 6 months or a year or more on guesses.  A 40% or more discount is an exceptional one and is rarely seen.  Besides a handful of people who work Kmart deals, 40% discounts are rarities over the past year.  The last several days have seen fantastic deals.  My point is to take advantage of them now or very possibly be sorry later.  

Here's the thing...I agree with your point...but that is old school LEGO investing.  EOL dates are very tricky to predict right now.  You can easily be off 6 months or a year or more on guesses.  A 40% or more discount is an exceptional one and is rarely seen.  Besides a handful of people who work Kmart deals, 40% discounts are rarities over the past year.  The last several days have seen fantastic deals.  My point is to take advantage of them now or very possibly be sorry later.  

Many people passed on the triple VIP points, hoping for a better deal on Black Friday.  It never came.  You told them to take advantage of the triple points and many said they would wait.  

• Like 2

I understand the logic but it only works if the sets stop appreciating when you sell and they dont. Members with the space and capital can hold long term and sell sets they had invested in 2 or more years ago to free up money to reinvest. You are on a 1 year cycle many are on a 2+. Your strategy would be perfect if you didnt sell many sets too soon before they reach their ceiling.Also if you snooze you lose wait the next 13 months for deals like these and you WILL regret it. IMHO