Lego sets to invest in for the end of 2013

Guest TabbyBoy

FYI about Sopwith Camel. On the UK site, it says "Item: 10226 Limit: Out of stock, expected ship date 24 Dec 2013". If anything, I expect this to have a 3 yr retail life.

"

They are probably getting the last wave in and the -20% may have been to reduce stock ready for the good news.  i can't understand why this set isn't that popular as it's a fantastic model with rare bits which, I'm sure, will do very well.  I have 13 and won't be stopping there.

Guest TabbyBoy

Just flip now what's not currently in stock at LEGO Shop at Home if you can get them elsewhere  I'm about to list:

Minecraft, full sets of all 3

Dolphin Cruisers

Deloreans

Friends Campers

Friends Stables

Hello All. I am a new member to brickpicker and have only just discovered the forums. Fantastic site! Please forgive me for my inexperience in this field.

I see that the lego 9492-1 tie fighter seems to be retired in USA and Canada but is still available in UK (Brickset). What are the thoughts on this retiring, or indeed being a good investment idea if can get for a decent price?

Hello All. I am a new member to brickpicker and have only just discovered the forums. Fantastic site! Please forgive me for my inexperience in this field.

I see that the lego 9492-1 tie fighter seems to be retired in USA and Canada but is still available in UK (Brickset). What are the thoughts on this retiring, or indeed being a good investment idea if can get for a decent price?

Welcome to the web site. 9492 is a nice set. I have built one with my son. Only problem is that there have been many tie-fighters since Lego introduced their Star Wars line in 1999. This is the 8th set of a Tie-Fighter. I think this will hurt investing once another one comes out (like with all the X-Wings)

Welcome to the web site. 9492 is a nice set. I have built one with my son. Only problem is that there have been many tie-fighters since Lego introduced their Star Wars line in 1999. This is the 8th set of a Tie-Fighter. I think this will hurt investing once another one comes out (like with all the X-Wings)

There were several versions of TIE fighter, but I think the general consensus is that 9492 is the best of the lot by a big margin.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Just picked up a few lego modular pet shops! How do you think those will do as an investment?

Very well I think, there's rumours that this is pending EOL too.  I like they way that this set splits into 2 units so you don't have to put them together as per the picture.  Since they are not discussed as much as the FB, they will hopefully be rarer in time.

Very well I think, there's rumours that this is pending EOL too.  I like they way that this set splits into 2 units so you don't have to put them together as per the picture.  Since they are not discussed as much as the FB, they will hopefully be rarer in time.

everything is pending EOL  :sorcerer:  I don't think there is any sets that did not officially EOL within 5 years. Anyone care to correct me?

Here are the big ones:

6866 Superheroes Wolverine Chopper Showdown

6857 Superheroes Batman Dynamic Duo Funhouse

21050 Architecture Studio

followed by

1st wave of LotR 

1st wave of Superheroes (both marvel and DC)

7965 Star Wars M. Falcon

9468 Vampyre Castle

9516 Star Wars Jabba's Palace

Modulars,Tower Bridges(unless your in UK but its not going to ever retire there), and UCS (Bwing) shouldn't really make anyone's list considering the above!  In fact the only other exclusive big box sets I'd put any money behind is Arkham Asylum or Haunted House which won't be retiring quite yet.

Helms Deep and Vampyre castles can still be found for BOGO's etc... but not much longer!

If you are lucky you may still be able to find 6866 in your town.  Its the Ninjago Ice Dragon of Superheroes. Its not going to settle down till its over $75. Funny thing is most folks will quickly sell off at $45-50 like they did with ice dragon!

edit: also a special shout out to all things spongebob!!!  spongebob is full of win. 

Guest TabbyBoy

I've heard that TB isn't going anywhere in the UK until 2015+, taken with a pinch of salt of course.  Nice if it went as I could do with the space that these take up.  I just can't help thinking that the Sopwith's days are numbered so I'm loading up again once they are 25+% off.  For the mid-price of

The 9492 is the first time in 11 years the original TIE Fighter was actually redesigned and I find it difficult to see Lego redesigning it again soon if ever. All the others were either Darth's Advanced TIE Fighter (redesigned once and a UCS model), TIE Interceptor (one regular model and a UCS model, no redesign either way), TIE Defender (not redesigned), or TIE Crawler (not redesigned).

Anyway, 9492 is the best iteration of the classic TIE Fighter if you enjoy it; plus the minifigures are great.

pet shop eol? How about we EOL fire brigade first than we will talk about other modulars EOL :)

Guest TabbyBoy

pet shop eol? How about we EOL fire brigade first than we will talk about other modulars EOL :)

None of us know for sure.  But, what's stopping multiple EOLs at the same time?  The GE also for all we know.

None of us know for sure.  But, what's stopping multiple EOLs at the same time?  The GE also for all we know.

I suspect one thinking behind the long life of FB and GE was to have sufficient product range for fans to form a short street that will kick start the addiction. This strategy has worked wonderfully. retiring FB and GE together is possible as there is new Parisian restaurant coming, thus there will be four modulars available, still a decent number to draw in new collectors. FB and GE has held the fort long enough.

But to retire petshop together with FB and GE may be a risk of rolling back the appeal of modular houses as a whole to future new addicts.