Project Picks - Ideas sets to be supported

TheOrcKing

I am a little surprised it isn't advertised by more people about their own creations.

Well, it kind of is but you still have to really look for them. Most just have a flickr gallery and post links to them in the description, which is okay but that is just one area of the web. A select few have a promotional video on youtube. Not that many use both strategies to garner attention which could help immensely. I do what little I can with the Project Picks thread by spotlighting various ones I've come across and pretty much every one of those is supported by me already.

I will definitely post a link here when complete. I am just about complete with the structure, and am in the process of tackling the biggest design challenge - the dome. Geometrically, it is not a true "round" dome, but instead eight "wedge shaped" pieces fitted next to each together. While the compass points sides have been simple to build, it's the NW, NE, SW, SE sides that are tougher since they are angles. I thought about a "panel" approach to the dome sections (similar to the design used on the 7965 Millenium Falcon set), but had trouble getting the panels to fit together, and attach to the structure along the non-compass point sides (NW, NE, SW, SE). I think it will look great in the end, however as part of the "White City" (for those that haven't read the book "Devil in the White City", I highly recommend it), the primary color is white, although the dome and some other design elements are the yellow color to mimic gold leaf. WIth a set that's overwhelmingly white, I think the build's popularity may suffer as a result.

I am supporting five at the moment. I prefer models that are replicas of famous buildings, and I tend to be a little picky when it comes to the models I choose to support.

I am in the process of designing my own CUUSOO entry based upon the Administration Building built for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. I am building it using LDD and am almost done with it. If you're on the site in the next 2-3 weeks, take a look for it (and support it!).

I have posted a picture below to show what the Administration Building looked like.

Wow I'm definitely looking forward to this!!

Basically I'm asking how many projects you are currently supporting on the CUUSOO website.

At the moment, I'm supporting 91 different projects.

It should be more but I haven't had a chance to just sit down and do another thorough search in a while.

I haven't been on CUUSOO in awhile. I was supporting 2 projects about a month ago. I need to head over there and see how they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Project: The Twist and Whirl - A Motorized Carnival Ride

Designer: DerekMedina

Started: June 5, 2012

Synopsis:

A power functions motorized version in Lego of the classic amusement park Tilt-A-Whirl ride.

Opinion:

What can I say? This caught my attention immediately. Plus I love these rides to begin with; I've plugged countless hours into Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for crying out loud!

Motorized Demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX256f1W8V4

Project: The Twist and Whirl - A Motorized Carnival Ride

Designer: DerekMedina

Started: June 5, 2012

Synopsis:

A power functions motorized version in Lego of the classic amusement park Tilt-A-Whirl ride.

Opinion:

What can I say? This caught my attention immediately. Plus I love these rides to begin with; I've plugged countless hours into Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for crying out loud!

Motorized Demonstration - youtube

Had to support this.

I love the idea of a motorized theme park, can be setup in a similar way to the modular where they release something new every year or so giving you the option to add to it

• 1 month later...

I thought that this was the best build of Minas Tirith I have seen thus far, but it is a micro build. :( Anyways, it is a CUUSOO project though!

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17647

Also another great LOTR CUUSOO of the Argonath. Though highly unlikely to ever become a set because of the high piece count, I think it is stunning!! Apparently one of the statues has as many pieces as the Statue of Liberty.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10944

I think LoTR is rubbing off on me...

post-5354-0-94097700-1373378894.png

post-5354-0-77733500-1373378904.png

post-5354-0-77017200-1373378913.png

post-5354-0-28896300-1373378922.png

post-5354-0-01547600-1373378932.png

It's not an acronym. I believe it's the name of the Genie minifig. The idea is that you're submitting a wish to the Genie CUUSOO who can grant your wish if you get enough support...or something. I remember in the early CUUSOO pages they had the genie on it or something. My memory is really spotty about it...

EDIT: From Brickipedia:

According to legocuuso.uservoice.com, CUUSOO is a Japanese word, pronounced "KOO-soh", that, when translated loosely into English, means

Project: Landmark Series - Sears (Willis) Tower

Designer: Ersh777

Started: January 28, 2012

Synopsis:

A large but not minifigure scale build standing roughly thirty nine inches tall from bottom to top (including antennas) of the world famous Sears (Willis) Tower residing in the windy city of Chicago.

Opinion:

To start with, I really wish there were better images for this. Anyway, while the build is a little too big to fit on somebody's desk, it holds much more detail than the tiny Architecture version and is rather faithful in appearance. Much like the real thing, it certainly catches your eye from a distance.

thumb640x360.jpg

thumb640x360.jpg

thumb640x360.jpg

That tower is great.  I really would like to see Lego do a Theme around skyscrapers, kind of a mix between the modular series and creator landmark series.  Ithink it would add so many possibilities for people creating large city style layouts.

• 1 month later...
Guest eightbrick

It's pretty cool, reminds me of the awesome Minas Tirith on Cuusoo. We have a special topic for our favorite Cuusoo projects here: http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/689-cuusoo-project-picks/page-1

The problem with currently licensed Cuusoo projects is that I believe Lego cannot create Cuusoo projects off current licenses. However, if this one releases 10K after the LOTR line ends it could be a potential winner, or Lego could borrow some of the design techniques. The waterfall was nicely executed, thanks for sharing.

Guest eightbrick

Hibba goob donk haha.

That's minion talk for "I want Lego minions."

Hahaha... PAPPLE!

I know this project has been around forever, slowly creeping up in support, but the Lego Birds project has always had a space in my heart. Birds are a family favorite in my house when it comes to animals and they are the only animals I can actually draw well (my favorite bird is the common sparrow). DeTomaso's work is beautiful, and if he/she can narrow it down to one-three birds it has a very good chance of making the cut. Plus I like to side with the underdogs sometimes and if this guy makes it to 10K it will be based purely off his/her building skill and ideas, not some pre-existing IP or huge amounts of other-site support. I hope he goes the route of proposing a couple of the smaller guys in one set rather than one big bird like the toucan. Beautiful stuff, this should be in an art gallery.

thumb640x360.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16897