Now I am a believer

willy431

Found a couple decent used technic deals on Craig's recently...and decided to try building--instead of my usual standard inventory using bricklink. Well that...and I didn't want to count out a hundreds of tiny parts...many that needed to be measured!

So....the biggest were the 2 super cars. The black and the red. The black wasn't too hard...but took about 6 hours. I loved it...and the family thought it was great...so we did the red one. My moly! This is the hardest and most rewarding build of any hobby type thing I have ever done. I am a 38 year old manufacturing engineer with 20 years of industrial automation and robot experience. This build took me a good 10 hours.

I loved (nearly) every minute of it! It was genius the way they lay out the build sequence! Building a normal lego kit (especially large Star Wars) is tedious, predictable and boring. This was great! The way you go around the vehicle, instead of following the more symmetrical lego build logic was incredible. The integration of the power functions, levers, gears, working real differentials, and the use of all manner of joints--including spherical bearings, and working suspension!

I can't say enough about this build. I was so nervous it wasn't going to work at the end--but every power function was flawless. The doors, hood, and trunk all opens and closed perfectly. The suspension and rack/pinion steering were fabulous!

Paid about 75 for each....I don't think I can bare to sell them for 150--going rate on eBay--pocketing just 120 if lucky.

After building these wonderful projects...I have most nearly decided to pop open one of my crawlers. Nearly. I love technic...and will be sinking more money into these sets in the future.

I think the target market is what 14 for these sets? No way I could have done these when I was that age. At least not right the first time. The instructions leave a bit (too much) open to interpret.

• Like 4

The 42000?  I have one.  maybe I will get another to build.  Sounds like you had fun.  Luckily, my son is 3, and he is amazed by stacking 1x1's with 2x2's still.  When I put in a door, building is over, and he spends the rest of the time pushing minifigures through it, until the wall breaks.

Anyway, I did build the 2 small $20.00 cars, and they were fun.  Doing a larger one looks like great fun.

8070 and 8880.  The black was pretty easy....few neat engineering surprises on that...the operator for the pop up head light and how opening the rear engine..the cover Locked  open...and you had to bend a joint differently to close again.

The red car...I was simply blown away.  The v8 engine assembly alone was detailed and awesome.  You assemble the crank and pistons, then assemble the block, before marrying the assembly and timing it.  Glorious!  The way you make a cradle for it...like a real engine before mounting it in the frame....the use of longer push pins to lock all the major assemblies together....the fit and finish of the panel gaps.  Even the bloody suspension has preload and rebound designed in!

They have real engineers designing these things...and I would be shocked to learn they DIDN'T hire an automotive engineering team to help design this thing. 

Willy did you build the supercar or the hot rod? I built the supercar first, then tore it down and built the hot rod. Then I got on BL and picked up some chromed wheels. It's awesome, and it's now the 2nd place star of my displays. R2 will always be first. Anyway welcome to the Technic fold! If you thought 8070 was fun, you're gonna love the crawler.

Yeah I haven't built my first technic set yet but I know they are hard. Grievous is about half technic pieces and it was pretty difficult in some places.

One of my friends built that giant $220 crane and he said it took him 12 hours.

I agree though they are incredible sets. I am starting to invest in them a bit more. And a lot of them you can add power function to and easily mod which is pretty sweet.

Did you get hot rod instructions with it? I saw online you can build that---but I don't think my mixed lot came with a booklet for that....it had 3 FULL booklets just for the main super car build. I think I am keeping this...and might pay up for a couple used ones on eBay for investments. This is "worth" 250....I bet the red one appreciates more in value to 250 (used) 350 new.

One note about buying used....these are extremely specialized. If you are missing a panel or major component...I suspect you are screwed. Going to check bricklink now out of curioisty. I was absolutely panicked and sweating most of the build...waiting for the inevitable missing parts that almost all used kits I get off Craigslist seem to feature. Not a single piece missing though! I bet that is due to the age of the typical (assumed) builder/owner.

The way the gearbox is synchronized is incredible too! Forgot to mention that. You can leave it in neutral---also note position and height of gear shift lever is perfect if this was a real car---with the "engine" running--and select each of the 4 gear positions to operate the power functions. I couldn't believe it---figured you would have to stop the motor before going into each "gear" but was pleasantly surprised. I am bringing this to work Tuesday to show my fellow engineers. It is THAT impressive.

Did I mention it is huge! Double the size I was expecting.

Built this shuttle 2 years ago. Hardest build I've done yet. I'm 28 and have been building Lego for 24 years.

Large motor, 2 micro motors (they're the size of 2 2x2 bricks stacked on top of each other) and fiber optics and the gearing on the underside is crazy confusing. Pretty awesome considering it came out in 1996. 

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8480-1

8480_Space_Shuttle.jpg

I still can't stand the Technic sets (at least used ones). As a Buyer/Seller/Collector - I find that they simply cause too many issues. Yes, they are intricate and the designs can be impressive. But verifying whether a used one is complete is very time consuming, and quite painful on the hands. The sets are also not very forgiving when a mistake is made - I have purchased too many Technic sets where the builder just stopped (when they realized that they had messed up).

In the end, I think a set without any bricks just doesn't feel like Lego.

I still can't stand the Technic sets (at least used ones). As a Buyer/Seller/Collector - I find that they simply cause too many issues. Yes, they are intricate and the designs can be impressive. But verifying whether a used one is complete is very time consuming, and quite painful on the hands. The sets are also not very forgiving when a mistake is made - I have purchased too many Technic sets where the builder just stopped (when they realized that they had messed up).

In the end, I think a set without any bricks just doesn't feel like Lego.

I do that sometimes. I forget to put an important piece in the sets, and then when I am almost finished, I notice that the piece is not there and most of the time I end up taking the whole sets apart to fix my mistake.

I love the technic sets, especially the large and complex ones like unimog and bull dozer. Best part is they are not greasy and so no messy oily stuff.

I wished I had them when I was a teenager,. I intend to make sure my kids play with technic as soon as they are of age. This is about the best educational kit for training their minds in maths and mechanics in a fun way.

I'd like Technic a lot more if it wasn't a Ripoffs R Us exclusive theme. :mda:

Amazon UK is your friend here - TRU only has it exclusive in the US. They have had some pretty serious Technic Markdowns and shipping is really reasonable.

I have gotten the technic racecars for a mean of $75 (retail $130, $150 at TRU) and the Rescue Helicopter $80 ($130 at TRU). Sweet deals.

Amazon UK is your friend here - TRU only has it exclusive in the US. They have had some pretty serious Technic Markdowns and shipping is really reasonable.

I have gotten the technic racecars for a mean of $75 (retail $130, $150 at TRU) and the Rescue Helicopter $80 ($130 at TRU). Sweet deals.

Speaking of Technic, I was going to buy some at those prices (1/2 Can.) Then I realized I`m already over budget, whilst only 1/2 way through the month  :laugh: That said, I`m in agreement. For those who want these, heck even if you don`t want them, buy!