10175 Vaders Tie MISB for $300 (CDN) - Would you bite?

gregpj

$287 USD, that's about what I paid 9 months ago. I'd say get it, because you probably won't find a better price. When I bought I was hoping it would hit $400 in Jan, but now I doubt it will. I think demand is up for it this year, but so is supply. These old UCS sets just never stop popping up, sometimes several in a day. Prices on most haven't quite stagnated yet, but they are all definitely slow climbers. The y-wing, snowspeeder, Interceptor, X-wing... I think 10175 might be a bit more rare, and it's arguably one of the coolest. So I guess you might only buy to build or hold.

Used sets sell for between $175 and $250 depending on condition and whether the box and instructions are included. If i was in the market for a used one to flip, the price paid would need to to be no more than $130 and the instruction booklet included. Too many risks in a used one (e.g. Discolored light gray gray elements need replacing).

I woukd pay $300 for a sealed one. However, compounded growth has seemed to slow down. On the positive side, there's another SW movie due in 2015. So if you can hold the set until May 2015, you might see a 50% gain with some luck.

Others will tell you to invest the $300 into another set that has more growth potential. That also makes sense. I compare the 10175 to a safer / conservative stock investment : lower growth expectation with minimal risk. Same could be said about most older movie themed sets without a "true" refresh.

One advice. To maximize sale potential, be sure to list it globally.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This set is on my UCS NISB want list to build for my personnel collection. But now I am going to wait until the next wave of SW sets comes out to see what the 75082 TIE Advanced Prototype looks like.

here is a comment i made about the upcoming 75082 TIE Advanced Prototype set on brickset.  just my gut feeling

According to the universe, Vader used a prototype called the TIE Advanced and kept after it was decided no more would be built. The UCS set from 2006 and regulator set from 2008 featured Vade. There's a good chance this Rebels set won't have Vader but a pilot instead.

For us nerds :). , "The TIE Advanced x1, or TIE/x1 was an advanced prototype starfighter touted as a replacement for the standard TIE Fighter tested by Darth Vader and X1 at the battles of Yavin and Mustafar respectively. While it never made it into production, many of its best design features were later incorporated into the TIE/sa bomber and TIE/IN interceptor. Further development of the Advanced continued, eventually leading to the TIE Avenger and TIE Defender."

It's local, no shipping or extras. Would you bite? Flip, build or keep long term?

Wife might hurt me, but I'm up about $1k this month so it wouldn't be for long. :)

did you end up buying it?  it's a nice set especially when re-enforcing the flimsy stand. 

i had one loose but sold it for my 1st flip. i miss it but can't complain too much as the profit was put toward another set in my "personal collection"