When do you draw the line?

After you think you have too many sets, then you could put into action the "one in, one out" rule, where you can only buy a set if you sell one. I'm guessing that it could work pretty nicely in your case, since you have dozens of each set in your possession. Of course, you can't let yourself sell a polybag and buy a 10188 DS... LOL

I made around 1500$ pure profit (after all fees etc) since December 2012 to today.... but I am not here for profit just funding my Hobby and a few extra bucks for drinking and parties....

I have diverse funding of different investments etc

And the way investing is going in LEGO I might aswell jsut lower that 1000$ sooner or later lol

oh ic .. haha I guess we are on different scales of investing.  You are investing for some pocket change here and there to fund your hobby .. im in it for the long haul to fund my supercar in a few years :P .... jk

After you think you have too many sets, then you could put into action the "one in, one out" rule, where you can only buy a set if you sell one. I'm guessing that it could work pretty nicely in your case, since you have dozens of each set in your possession. Of course, you can't let yourself sell a polybag and buy a 10188 DS... LOL

If I used that rule, I would always sell a small battlepack, so I can buy a Death Star!

Go about it more intentionally than, "I have some money left from my paycheck and a set's on sale".

Look at what you have and what you paid for it. Set goals on when you want to sell it (double price, triple price, when you judge it's reached the apex of its value?)

Set a buying budget that fits in with your overall finances for investment. I personally don't believe in keeping all my eggs in one basket investment-wise, so I invest in our business, in a variety of mutual funds of varying levels of risk, etc.

Once you've spent your Lego investment money for a given time period (weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever), stop buying until the next time period's money is available. There will always be another deal, you don't have to buy just because it's on sale.

Ditch the mutual funds and buy ETFs. The difference in management fees alone will net you tens if not hundreds of thousands over your lifetime.

hum, my line depends on a few variables.

First is space, I don't have a million closets...and like all (or most) of you, I get the disapproving looks from the opposite gender whenever she sees a lego set :)

Second is the knowledge that every set purchased for investment is basically an equity that is locked for some time. So even if I sit on roughly 7K worth of LEGO, that money is unusable and there is definetely a risk that I won't make as much money as I hoped for. Just like any investment, it isn't risk free!

Third, I force myself, as much as possible, never to buy anything at retail (except if it's purely for building) and always, always try to only buy when the discount is 30% or more. It won't stop me from buying but the way I look at it, is if I want to sell it, I'll at least make that 30 or 40% gain.

Also, if you have like 20-25 items of a set, just sell like 5 of them. Start making money off of your inventory!

From my understanding of ETFs, they're most useful for those who do a lot of moving around in the market. I'm a buy and hold kinda girl.

Quite the opposite. ETFs typically hold comparable stocks to mutual funds, and I have held mine since purchase. There are a handful of ETFs (check out Horizons Beta pro) that are designed for short term holding, but for just about any good mutual fund there is an ETF equivalent but charging you less money. Mutual funds (other than ones that track an index ) have high fees to pay the manager of the fund. But since 95% of managers cannot beat the market on any consistent basis, you are far better to just buy an index fund that does not have to pay a manager since they are essentially run automatically according to benchmarking formulas. No thought required.

Quite the opposite. ETFs typically hold comparable stocks to mutual funds, and I have held mine since purchase. There are a handful of ETFs (check out Horizons Beta pro) that are designed for short term holding, but for just about any good mutual fund there is an ETF equivalent but charging you less money. Mutual funds (other than ones that track an index ) have high fees to pay the manager of the fund. But since 95% of managers cannot beat the market on any consistent basis, you are far better to just buy an index fund that does not have to pay a manager since they are essentially run automatically according to benchmarking formulas. No thought required.

Thanks for the info, I'll explore it further.

I;m a big fan of reit's... in particular the data center and medical center reits.

Same here. Up here in Canada the REITs have been a slam dunk investment. I own 2 REITS directly (Calloway and RioCan) that are big developers of retail properties, and also hold a general REIT ETF as well. These were supposed to be my conservative investments (attractive mostly for the yield) and yet are amongst my biggest capital gains. 

Same here. Up here in Canada the REITs have been a slam dunk investment. I own 2 REITS directly (Calloway and RioCan) that are big developers of retail properties, and also hold a general REIT ETF as well. These were supposed to be my conservative investments (attractive mostly for the yield) and yet are amongst my biggest capital gains. 

Now that I think of it, my REITs own a number of properties where lego is sold, including the Lego Stores themselves. It's like doubling down on Lego.  :)