TRU Australia - if you can help it, don't order online

kishidan69

Many here have commented about their bad experiences ordering online from TRU, and I should have listened. But no, I had to give TRU the benefit of doubt and do an online order of some Lego sets they had on sale.

Just to be clear, this is TRU in Australia. Ordered, paid for items and postage, received confirmation email, all good. A day later, received another email that items had been dispatched. Waited 4 working days, nothing. Called TRU customer service on a Friday, was told by CS lady that courier tried unsuccessfully to deliver, and items at courier depot, gave me details to ring them to arrange delivery. Rang them on Monday, clueless couriers said items had been sent back to some TRU store. Rang TRU again - CS lady now becomes defensive, no apology, and said I should have called couriers on Friday, which I wasn't told then. All getting too difficult, so I ask to cancel my transaction and have money refunded. I mention that the couriers should have left a calling card, or that TRU should have informed me earlier that the items were awaiting redelivery and I would have happily arranged that with the couriers. She responds by saying that's why she gave me the courier details on Friday. I save my breath and end the conversation, knowing that I was talking to a block of wood who didn't understand sales and customer service.

A week later, no refund received. Ring TRU again to ask why, another CS lady said first CS lady didn't 'log' the cancellation request, so nothing was done. She said she would do it, and send me a cancellation confirmation email straightaway.

Wait another 4 days, no email. RIng them up again today - a 3rd CS lady now says there was an error in the cancellation request, and that she will now do it right, and send that cancellation email immediately. It is now well past normal business hours - nothing.

So......I now have no confidence whatsoever ordering anything online from TRU, and will stick to more reliable online retailers like Myer and Shopforme - in today's competitive retail environment, consumers are spoilt for choice anyway. Hopefully, this is another of many warnings to all other Oz members wondering about ordering online from TRU - they suck. Big time. Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere, and save yourself a lot of frustration. These guys have no idea about what good or even fair sales and customer service is. But of course, you already knew that from so many others posting on this site before me.

I currently have a PayPal dispute open about a cancelled TRU order for which the refund never came. So I feel your pain.

It is disappointing that in this day and age of retail, and with their global brand and established standing and whatnot, their online sales service is so bad.

It is funny how people have different experiences. I placed 3 orders, 4 sets in each order. 1 got cancelled, 1 got shipped and 1 was in limbo. I was charged $9 freight per order, yet if it was a 5th set it would cost $120. That being said, the sent the order out in the proper Lego box which is designed to hold 5..... hmmmm no bright spark there! The box contained 2 of the giraffe polybags as well, so I was happy enough. 

A couple of days later, I received an express bag from TRU. In it was another polybag with the order no being that of the one in limbo, so I thought sweet, that order is coming through. A week later.... nothing. A week later I emailed them, only to get the exact same cancellation email in response as I did the first time. I pointed out that I had actually been charged for it, and they assured a refund. It took a few days but I got it without any need for follow up. 

I was happy enough to score 4 sets and 3 polybags, but it also was disappointing how bad their communication was. Eventually it was all sorted out but as a customer it is a pain in the rear to have to do the chasing!

When my order was cancelled, I was advised (via e-mail) that the refund would be in 3 - 5 business days. I waited that long, then tried contacting customer service, but never got a response. As I did not want to waste my time chasing them, I raised the PayPal dispute. Not that that has yielded anything, either!  :angry: