Are you ever relieved when you get a great deal, so you don't have to open a sealed set?

I recently got a deal where I bought a complete Jabba's Palace and Rancor set for $50.  Sometimes I'm relieved when I get a good deal on loose sets that I want to build.  Knowing that I don't have to open a sealed set that might be a good money maker down the road is a great feeling and I'm not sure why. :sweat:

• Like 1

I recently got a deal where I bought a complete Jabba's Palace and Rancor set for $50.  Sometimes I'm relieved when I get a good deal on loose sets that I want to build.  Knowing that I don't have to open a sealed set that might be a good money maker down the road is a great feeling and I'm not sure why. :sweat:

Yes! Once upon a time buying someone else's built Lego was something I treated with utter contempt. Now if I can get it cheaper I will and try to keep as many sealed sets as possible. I am also caring less and less about most sets unless they are stunning, and more interested in buying minifigures separately.

All the time.  The most previous lot I purchased had a Medieval Market Village and Mill Village Raid in amazing shape.  Now I can sell my sealed versions without worrying about missing out on building them from a sealed box.  I love scenarios like the one you have pictured here, saves mucho money and clears a lot of guilt on your conscience opening that sacred sealed box.

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the few who will actually pay a little more if need be for a still sealed retired set. What can I say? It's a guy thing to be the first at breaking that seal. ;) Besides, if someone can get wierd about parts from different sets 'touching' then I can be odd about the initial condition of parts for my personal collection.

Yes! Once upon a time buying someone else's built Lego was something I treated with utter contempt. Now if I can get it cheaper I will and try to keep as many sealed sets as possible. I am also caring less and less about most sets unless they are stunning, and more interested in buying minifigures separately.

Funny you should say that, I have the same behaviour. I'd want to build every set I got but I ended up just building those I really wanted to build such as R2-D2, the new x-wing, the VW camper...all the others are safely stashed away :)

I'm probably one of the few who will actually pay a little more if need be for a still sealed retired set. What can I say? It's a guy thing to be the first at breaking that seal. ;) Besides, if someone can get wierd about parts from different sets 'touching' then I can be odd about the initial condition of parts for my personal collection.

I know one of my most recent cases where I waited too long was the Maersk Train.  I paid $190 for one several months ago.

Hi,

as a starting BrickPicker, I am wondering...

When you have bought a set you will probably resell later, can you control yourself not to brake the seal and open the box?

Or do you usually build it anyway (and have some fun! :jig: ), knowing the set looses some of it's value?

Thanks!

Guest TabbyBoy

I often build (or part out) sets where the boxes are damaged and can't be arsed to return. If I really really like the set, I'll build it regardless eg. TB and HH.

I'm primarily a collector and builder first, so I usually wait for a good sale to buy anything, and then I'll buy 2.  One I'll build right away, and the other I'll stash in the closet for later resale.  I will also buy sets from themes I'm not interested in, but are speculated to do well after retirement since this well net me some profit, and I won't be tempted to build it.  

• Like 1