Bonjour from New York City!

I found this site through browsing "LEGO communities", and of all I saw this site appealed to me the most. I have been playng with LEGO's since I was 3, but only played with the cheapo baby LEGO blocks. I now am interested in building actual things, and collecting. What are some great sets I could get for ~$20? I have always loved LEGO's. I'm now 15, just turned and want to keep it as a hobby. Also what is this talk about investing LEGO's? Can someone explain to me about this part, please? Also I play a game called Blockland which is awesome where you build stuff with LEGO's.

Welcome to BrickPicker!  Basically, LEGO investing is where you get a set, wait until it retires, and then sell it for more money than you bought it for.  One famous LEGO set that did really well after retirement was the 10179 Ultimate Collector Series Millennium Falcon.  Hope that helps you!

Welcome to BrickPicker. 

Wow, it's really hard to cram all there is to know about LEGO investing, but I'll try to get in as much in as possible, as well as give you a few resources to get yourself off the ground...

LEGO investing is very similar to investing of any kind. You use the basic principle of "Buy low, sell high", but instead of buying stocks, precious metals, or other more commonly invested commodities, you are investing in LEGO bricks. Like most quite a few things, LEGO's appreciate as time progresses. The main reason for the inflation of prices of sets is because the LEGO Company, or TLG, discontinues the production of sets after a period of time, usually about 2-3 years, though there are exceptions, such as the 10188 Death Star.

In order for the price of a set to increase, you need to choose "good" investments, which means that there has to be demand for the sets after it retires. Ask yourself whether people will want to buy the set 2 years, 3years, or whenever you plan on selling. If you think it will be in high enough demand to increase the price, then there's a decent chance that other people agree with you. 

I am also a teen, so welcome to the club! Teen investors of LEGO are a very small group, primarily because teens are either going out of LEGO, or even if they retain some interest in LEGO products, they don

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I am able to get around $200, roughly. I know how to invest, I've learned how economies work and the buy and sell mechanism. How do you know what the demand of something is, and what do you base the LEGO set's future predicted value on? Also Comicblaat, you have said that you have spent over a thousand on these sets, how much exactly have you gained from buying and selling? I mean like how much profit. I would only want to pursue this as a hobby, nothing too serious. What can I say?! I love LEGO's.

Guest eightbrick

Well, there isn't really much to say after Comicblast's epic post (just one of our many helpful members!). Welcome to the site, and good luck. Comicblast and myself are both pretty new to this game, I believe he started December last year and I started maybe a month after that, so I'm not sure if he's done much selling yet (I haven't sold anything in my "brickfolio"/inventory). Some people will hold sets for a long time. The Mack brothers (creators of this site) haven't sold anything and I believe they have thousands of sets.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Don't be in a hurry to start buying.  The more you read and hear others experience will help a lot.  Only buy the sets that appeal to you and don't let anyone throw your  stuff out. ohh and have fun

Thank you so much! I am able to get around $200, roughly. I know how to invest, I've learned how economies work and the buy and sell mechanism. How do you know what the demand of something is, and what do you base the LEGO set's future predicted value on? Also Comicblaat, you have said that you have spent over a thousand on these sets, how much exactly have you gained from buying and selling? I mean like how much profit. I would only want to pursue this as a hobby, nothing too serious. What can I say?! I love LEGO's.

You can guage demand by looking at the quantity of sets that are sold each month:

post-5354-0-92064700-1381634002.png

I've made about $150 by selling all of it by quick flips. Now compared to almost all investors here on BP, that is a miniscule number. One sale is probably that much. LOL.

Wow, could I make a decent amount by buying cheap sets which I like sold for $3-10, or would that get me nowhere? I also need recommendations on what affordable sets to start out with.

That wouldn't get you very far, but in the beginning, it may be the best you can do. Try getting a hold of exclusive polybags, as normal ones are way to widely available to make any money. Exclusives are usually acquired from the LEGO shop for free for purchases of $50, $75, or $100 or more. Other retailers also have things like this, but not as often.

What does it mean when a set retires, and how does it work and what happens when it does retire? I'm actually very interested in this.

I've also found a few things I like on Bricklink and I was wondering if these were good investments: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=40041-1, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=40068-1, and this: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1837-1.

I was also wondering another thing too, let's say I make my own LEGO build which is original like a reindeer, would it be worthy of being sold on Bricklink?

What does it mean when a set retires, and how does it work and what happens when it does retire? I'm actually very interested in this.

I explained it in my original post.s

I've also found a few things I like on Bricklink and I was wondering if these were good investments: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=40041-1, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=40068-1, and this: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1837-1.

I was also wondering another thing too, let's say I make my own LEGO build which is original like a reindeer, would it be worthy of being sold on Bricklink?

In terms of selling customs, they are not really sold on BL. I'd go to eBay for selling customs. I'm not sure if there is a large market for Monthly Mini Builds. Would any other member like to take a stab at it?

I explained it in my original post.s

In terms of selling customs, they are not really sold on BL. I'd go to eBay for selling customs. I'm not sure if there is a large market for Monthly Mini Builds. Would any other member like to take a stab at it?

Ok, thanks! Also what sets/builds specifically have a relatively large demand? I don't want those stupid LEGO Ninjano/Minecraft sets, I am really looking for something which is a bit out of the ordinary.

Ok, thanks! Also what sets/builds specifically have a relatively large demand? I don't want those stupid LEGO Ninjano/Minecraft sets, I am really looking for something which is a bit out of the ordinary.

Expensive $200+ sets... LOL

Make sure you don't choose a set so out of the ordinary that no one wants it! Try looking at some CUUSOO projects to invest in.

Don't be in a hurry to start buying.  The more you read and hear others experience will help a lot.  Only buy the sets that appeal to you and don't let anyone throw your  stuff out. ohh and have fun

That is some good advice.  When I started, I thought all the modulars were great investments.  I asked people on BrickPicker, and eventually decided against it.  Another good thing to do is read evaluation corner articles and blog articles.  They're really helpful.

Thank you all for the friendly welcomes! I also want to get building again, but I first I need a good set of LEGO blocks, any suggestions? I mean a complete box of LEGO blocks with useful brick sizes and assortments of brick colors. I am willing to spend up to $50 on it, possibly more if needed.

Thank you all for the friendly welcomes! I also want to get building again, but I first I need a good set of LEGO blocks, any suggestions? I mean a complete box of LEGO blocks with useful brick sizes and assortments of brick colors. I am willing to spend up to $50 on it, possibly more if needed.

Items similar to this Creative Bucket give you a ton of different bricks at a very reasonable price. That particular set comes with an assortment of 607 bricks in various colors, retails for $29.99 ($0.05 per brick), and is available from Lego's webstore.

tmp_image.png

Like TOK said, the creative bucket is a fabulous set to start out with.  I'd also recommend a modular.  They are probably a little expensive for you right now, but they come with a great assortment of bricks if you enjoy building houses and buildings.