Why would anyone think its ok to ship a Lego set without a box?!?!?

Seeing this happen makes me want to return this just to teach this person a lesson. I recently bought a fire temple Ninjaco set (new) off ebay for $90. Pretty nice deal.

Got here today - wrapped in shipping paper, no box, crushed all to hell, seals burst on both sides, looks like elephant used it as a seat cushion.

Obviously, its still worth way more than I paid for it but I am irritated about it.

Don't understand how anyone can think this is ok. Does this happen to you all a lot? I have had this happen 3 times in the last month with sets. One was luckily fine, other two were beat to hell.

Did you read the description properly?  :laugh: 

Seriously though, that is screwed up big time if it wasn't specifically mentioned it came without the box. 

Lol nice.

I wasn't clear - it was in the lego box, but not shipping box. Just paper around the Lego box. Lol its not like those Lego boxes are shipping boxes. 

Ive had so many of these lately - it drives me nuts. None of them mentioned brown paper. Someone selling a Fire temple really should know better though. I usually (politely) mention it to the seller after the fact, but I havent asked for any concession b/c usually I only win if the price is a great deal. A set like the Fire temple I'd be tempted to ask for a concession. Id at least send the seller a pic and see if they offer one.

About twice a week, I get a note from one of my book buyers. These notes range from sad, whimpering pleas to hostile, demanding instructions. All of them say basically the same thing: Please don't be as dumb as a box of rocks, like 5 out of 10 of my last sellers, when you package this book for shipping.

I never get mad at people for telling me to "package well!" or any variant thereof, because I know from experience there are sellers - and not just on eBay, Amazon used to be notorious - who toss books loose in a box or a huge bubble mailer and send it on its merry, bouncing way through the postal system. 

When I buy things that I care about the condition on, like new in box Lego, I send my own (hopefully nice sounding) note asking them to package it carefully, etc.

I know some sellers are annoyed by it, but try not to be. As buyers, we have to at least TRY to curtail some of the packaging idiocy that occurs out there.

• Like 1

As a buyer, I think it's okay if it saves me shipping costs. I usually ask the seller if it could be repacked into something more compact.

Seriously though, the flimsy Lego box is no better protection than wrapping paper.

A trip though the postal service is like going through multiple car crashes.

I've had hull pieces mauled in the post before. I swear someone put the package in the compacter.

Lucky to have never had this happen. That sucks to say the least.

this happened to me recently with walmart canada. they slapped a mailing sticker right on thr lego set (which damaged my box when I tried to peel it off) and mailed it off as is. I complained.

Oh? I order from them recently and most everything arrived in good shape. No packaging materials though, just the sets tossed in box. 4/5 were in great shape though, but 1 was crushed slightly. 

It also happened to me on at least one occasion. It is pretty infuriating to have received the box severely damaged especially if it's intended as an investment purchase.

How often do you guys ask for some sort of compensation when your sets arrived damaged from the eBay seller?  

About twice a week, I get a note from one of my book buyers. These notes range from sad, whimpering pleas to hostile, demanding instructions. All of them say basically the same thing: Please don't be as dumb as a box of rocks, like 5 out of 10 of my last sellers, when you package this book for shipping.

I never get mad at people for telling me to "package well!" or any variant thereof, because I know from experience there are sellers - and not just on eBay, Amazon used to be notorious - who toss books loose in a box or a huge bubble mailer and send it on its merry, bouncing way through the postal system. 

When I buy things that I care about the condition on, like new in box Lego, I send my own (hopefully nice sounding) note asking them to package it carefully, etc.

I know some sellers are annoyed by it, but try not to be. As buyers, we have to at least TRY to curtail some of the packaging idiocy that occurs out there.

Yeah I hate to resort to it. I know I have made mistakes packaging smaller items, but something like that just seems terrible. I find it annoying get messages about how I should pack stuff, but only because I have it right in my listings that I pack sets like big bertha is about to use them as a chair. I also work a company with a manufacturing plant on site so I have access to left over materials making it easy. I don't always expect that.

Maybe I should send notes from now on just saying please ship in a shipping box. Im fine if it costs me a couple extra dollars to not have fire temple that served as some USPS worker's trampoline. Ha.

Only if it was insured. A seller cannot be held responsible for a postal service run by orcbloods.

While sort of true, I am pretty sure if you open a case you win and are allowed to return it either way. Its treated the same way as if the postal service loses it. the insurance only protects the seller from what my experience has been.

I had a carrier lose a package one time when I was new to selling on ebay back in 200-something early and I put in the listing I wasn't responsible for damage if the person didn't want to pay for shipping insurance. They didn't, it was lost, and Ebay sided with them.

this happened to me recently with walmart canada. they slapped a mailing sticker right on thr lego set (which damaged my box when I tried to peel it off) and mailed it off as is. I complained.

I've read reports left by customers on the Walmart site here in the US about them shipping the Death Star with nothing but a mailing sticker slapped across the front. Good grief, I know the box for that particular set is immense but it is not meant for that kind of travel wear. Plus, if the set arrives at your house sitting there in front of the door or in the driveway, how long would it be before somebody happens by and decides to steal it? A huge $400 Lego set just sitting there for all the world to see; not long at all.

Boy, I ask for a refund when the Lego box comes creased due to inadequate padding. I dont know what I would do if the box was missing. I've gotten half off a maersk train set after complaining. And returned one at the owners expense. Amazon sent out a replacement after a one Lego grand Prix came delivered with a hole in the box.

I had a carrier lose a package one time when I was new to selling on ebay back in 200-something early and I put in the listing I wasn't responsible for damage if the person didn't want to pay for shipping insurance. They didn't, it was lost, and Ebay sided with them.

I guess that would depend on if you had your butt covered or exposed. I mean, we all get gipped once or twice as newbies.

To qualify for eBay Seller Protection, be sure to:
  • Communicate proactively with your buyer throughout the transaction.
  • Ship items within 7 days of the stated handling time on your listing. For pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, ship within the timelines stated in your listing.
  • Use a shipping method that provides tracking information and/or valid delivery confirmation to the address in the PayPal transaction details or eBay order details page.
  • Signature confirmation is required for transactions over $250.
  • Retain your shipping documentation
  • Respond to the eBay resolution process in a timely manner.

I get these all the time too.  I just e-mail them back and say "look at my feedback and dsr rating, your package will be fine".  Also, everything I ship priority automatically comes with up to $100 insurance.  Everything over $100 I ship, will have insurance added by me.  I also mark all of my packages "insured" with a red sharpie.  The USPS will be losing a bunch of money if they damage my stuff.

Funny thing I used to do is write on the box "postman, if it rattles, you broke it" on all my LEGO shipments.  My mail carrier asked me what I sell because of this.

This is the note I got last year from someone after they bought some sets. I already pack my sets completely wrapped in 1/2" bubble wrap and nrw shipping boxes, but you better believe I double wrapped these sets and went above and beyond!

"Hello,

I just purchased 2 Lego 7753.

Please package so that items arrive in described condition as feedback is based on condition of received items.

Thanks"

I got very nice feedback by the way, whew :)

On another note, reminds me of the auction in which I had to discount a WV PO bc it had a crease on the box...and since I did such a nice job packing it and the WV Bakery it was sent with came through unscathed, apparently the crease didn't happen in transit...doh...rather than argue too much, I learned my lesson and immediately changed all my listings to "box may have creases/shelf wear/dents...not a mint box".

Most of the boxes I ship are in great condition but its not worth the hassle to have those expectations from a buyer.

• Like 1

I learned my lesson and immediately changed all my listings to "box may have creases/shelf wear/dents...not a mint box".

Most of the boxes I ship are in great condition but its not worth the hassle to have those expectations from a buyer.

I do this also.  All my listing state box has normal shelf wear and is NOT mint.  I actually had someone state that the box had more than normal shelf wear.  What?  He wanted a discount.  I told him to ship it back (I'd pay for the shipping) and I'd refund his money.  He ended up keeping it.  Buttmunch trying to scam a discount.  Not on my watch.

Only if it was insured. A seller cannot be held responsible for a postal service run by orcbloods.

On eBay, they most certainly can be and are.

It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition it was described and shown on eBay. If the carrier shreds it, that's on the seller. Insurance is for the SELLER'S protection, not the buyer's - the buyer is protected door to door and eBay will side with the buyer in case of carrier damage or loss.

I do this also.  All my listing state box has normal shelf wear and is NOT mint.  I actually had someone state that the box had more than normal shelf wear.  What?  He wanted a discount.  I told him to ship it back (I'd pay for the shipping) and I'd refund his money.  He ended up keeping it.  Buttmunch trying to scam a discount.  Not on my watch.

That's the flip side of this equation - there are buyers who ask for partial refunds on a huge number of items bought just to see what sellers they can scare into it. eBay also goes after them, some might be interested to know - there were buyers slapped over the summer with losing their Buyer Protection privileges and some outright suspended from buying on eBay because they'd received an "excessive" (no, eBay's not going to give anyone a number so they can game the system) number of refunds and partial refunds.

On eBay, they most certainly can be and are.

It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition it was described and shown on eBay. If the carrier shreds it, that's on the seller. Insurance is for the SELLER'S protection, not the buyer's - the buyer is protected door to door and eBay will side with the buyer in case of carrier damage or loss.

One more reason not to sell on ebay then, besides rip-off level commissions and generally uninformed buyer base. :purple: