TRU Price Match

dschooley

I just received an email from TRU about price matching. Apparently they will match in store purchase prices with a valid competitors advertisement including their web pricing (except for online only purchases). This probably won't combine with their sales, but it might help people that are looking for sets they can't find in stock other stores.

I am getting very tired of the way TRU does it's business and advertises. It's very suspect. Between jacking up the retail prices when they run the BOGO or excluding every set except some BS ones, I really don't even consider TRU as a primary retail source anymore.

Ed, I agree with you regarding TRU's pricing and policies but I have found that some managers and employees will work with you if you spend some money there. I got some great deals when they had the buy 2 get 1. They gave me price match and then the buy 2 get 1 deal as well. Of course, I spend a lot of money in there. There are certain sets that for some reason they don't mark up, not sure why, but those are the ones I focus on when they do have a sale......red cargo train is one example.

Ed, I agree with you regarding TRU's pricing and policies but I have found that some managers and employees will work with you if you spend some money there. I got some great deals when they had the buy 2 get 1. They gave me price match and then the buy 2 get 1 deal as well. Of course, I spend a lot of money in there. There are certain sets that for some reason they don't mark up, not sure why, but those are the ones I focus on when they do have a sale......red cargo train is one example.

That might be true, but as you stated, you have a relationship with some employees, which can go a long way in making it work for you. The squeaky wheel gets the oil as they say and your idea of building a relationship with the manager is an excellent one. I don't dislike TRU, but I am losing patience with their practices. I, myself, like to use online shopping and rarely head to a TRU to buy a set. Maybe I should take your advice and actually shop in a TRU to get the best deals.

I am getting very tired of the way TRU does it's business and advertises. It's very suspect. Between jacking up the retail prices when they run the BOGO or excluding every set except some BS ones, I really don't even consider TRU as a primary retail source anymore.

Same here. I deal with Toys R Us ONLY when I literally have no other option available. Even then, I'd rather buy from BrickLink than from them. Sometimes, I've been lucky enough to find Toys R Us 'exclusives' at other stores! I am not kidding. I have found atleast three Toys R Us 'exclusive' sets at Target, and one or two at Walmart. Their websites even listed those items for awhile. Unfortunately, I believe each one was a 'Only in Store' item.

(One of them was anyway that I can remember.)

I'm always friendly to the people of Walmart & Target (or any store in general), so I've never really had any problems with price matching or just asking for help. Being a 'courteous customer' can go a LONG way, trust me!

Just had to chime in and agree with what is already being said...TRU pretty is a last resort at best. The only thing they are good for is their selection is a little better than most other places. On more than one occasion, I have seen things there that are several months into the EOL column. Only about two months ago, the TRU by me still had all the Prince of Persia sets. They even still had a couple of Atlantis sets! But, yeah...at their prices, no thanks.