Getting rich selling Lego?

Anything can be done. As long as you have a will and a vision and its all written down. This is just like the Stock Market. You can invest in great sets, good sets, or losers. All up to you to pick the winners and how you invest your money. But like anything else...it takes money to make money. If you have less money or time, it will take you longer then someone with more money to invest with more time. We all know there is good money to be made in LEGO investing or else we wouldn't have forums or blogs about it. There is hard facts and evidence that there is lots of money to be made LEGO investing. The amount is up to each individual and how far they want to go. Some are investing to offset their addiction, some are small time, some are big time. Some might already be Rich and doing it for fun to get extra money. Could be the thrill rather then the money for some. But one thing we all share is we Love those Minifigs and those plastic bricks. I'm sure everyone here at one time or another could have easily bought and stocked up on that ZOMBIE set. If not, then you are fairly new to the game, but you will miss a boat here and there. Opportunity calls...sleeper sets arise...are you good enough to see it???? Hmmmmm did I say this is like the stock market???? Can You Pick them my fellow loyal Brickpickers??? If you can...you have a talent and heck yes you can be a millionaire.

While I agree with the bold part, you have to udnerstand you're American (not in a bad way) but you get cheapest LEGOs and not just that, on top of that fact you get the most frequent and BEST deals in the world....

Now sure there is a way for other parts of the world, but the chances are slim and work needed to pull it of doubles atleast...

If i just tell you my shipping costs and my LEGO costs you would understand... so the only way for me is

1. I steal LEGOs (lol)

2. I move to different country

All I have is occasional ''luck'' with scoring retired products on our toy shop shelves because they are so overpriced they reduce them for 30%+ and I can check their growth and potential before buying them where noone else can in more LEGO oriented areas....

Helm's Deep is sitting on shelf in my city at 139.99

Guest TabbyBoy

I agree with most of this.  What you need in order is:

Determination

An eye for a bargain

The guts to go in big if the prices are THAT good

Patience

Disposable income that you can afford to take a short term hit on

Storage space

I also pulled out of stocks recently (cashed in my stocks/shares ISA) which was becoming too volatile so, I've already spent that

All you need is love. Those speculator won't make it far. They need to make quick profit trying to sell it off as quick as possible. They won't be able to wait until the price appreciate for long. They'll be washed out for long term. For me, I invest in lego for collecting lego lol. Eventhough I'm in Australia here, but i'll try to find great deal that will be profitable. I'm happy to keep it for years.  

IMHO buying and selling lego isn't much like work at all. Its a whole lot of fun for me. I love it actually. While I know it might have produced a better return to buy 4 B-Wings from Target instead of driving to different K-Marts, but the hunt is a big part of what makes this fun for me. I don't get the same level of satisfaction from buying something online and waiting for it to show up as I do when I know that I found a great deal on something at a B&M store.

I would never give up my day job even though profit from lego sales is quickly approaching what I make at my day job. I must admit I hate exchanging my time for money so I never hunt for deals instore. I buy soley online. Most of my effort comes from brokering deals with my buyers. I probably sell 90% of my items in asia and they love long and drawn out negotiations. Luckily most of this occurs while I am on the clock at my day job. I don;t ever see becoming rich off lego selling but for right now it remains fun and should allow me to retire 15 years early and keep me busy in my retirement.

I think some people do not understand that when I buy a set on discount inside EU (usually majority of sets see 25% discount) A set discounted for 25% inside European Union usually means it costs about 10-20% more than US retail (save a few exceptions) 

So when my fellow American LEGO investor is seeing 20% growth after 1 year I can say I will about to break even ....  

Those middle sets are just not worth buying at all...  (Uruk-hai army 39.99

I'm not expecting to get rich from it, however a great piece of financial advice has always been to "monetize your hobbies". Then a drain on your income becomes a contributor. My minimum goal is to make my lego hobby effectively free. That is, all the lego I sell pays for itself AND the sets I actually want to enjoy myself.

A recent example is the Goblin King battle that was listed today in Canadian TRU flyers for half off. i bought 2. One for me, one to sell. I will hold the resale one for as long as it takes to double in value (plus ebay fees, etc.), which in this case only has to barely exceed the original MSRP. Once I sell it, the one I keep for me was effectively free. But for such a great deal, I may buy a few more, which when I resell them later will pay for other sets I will buy for my own use.

Since I buy and hold sets that I think will double over 5 years, I have some upfront costs. However, I do expect this hobby to be a plus on my personal balance sheet, and not a drain. If I make enough profit, I will tell myself that it is also paying for my comic book hobby, which is a definite negative on my balance sheet. ;)

I think some people do not understand that when I buy a set on discount inside EU (usually majority of sets see 25% discount) A set discounted for 25% inside European Union usually means it costs about 10-20% more than US retail (save a few exceptions) 

So when my fellow American LEGO investor is seeing 20% growth after 1 year I can say I will about to break even ....  

Those middle sets are just not worth buying at all...  (Uruk-hai army 39.99

• Like 1

To make a $1,000,000.00(US) reselling LEGO sets requires a brick and mortar location and multiple employees.  It also requires that you are a LEGO distributor and get their discounts.  There is no way you can buy enough sets in bulk with the current restrictions to do so otherwise.

Guest TabbyBoy

To make a $1,000,000.00(US) reselling LEGO sets requires a brick and mortar location and multiple employees.  It also requires that you are a LEGO distributor and get their discounts.  There is no way you can buy enough sets in bulk with the current restrictions to do so otherwise.

Buy a time machine and buy 500x 10179s!

I think noone means RICH as millions just Rich enough to retire relatively prematurely (not needing to work 40 years!) thats what I would call rich already haha....

Basically I can live with 850$ a month in my country so thats all I would need to make monthly to live relatively comfortably (that is without rent)

I think noone means RICH as millions just Rich enough to retire relatively prematurely (not needing to work 40 years!) thats what I would call rich already haha....

Basically I can live with 850$ a month in my country so thats all I would need to make monthly to live relatively comfortably (that is without rent)

It's all relative.  To me and my James Bond lifestyle, 100 million would not be enough.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Same here, I'm not too greedy.  I just want to supplement my main income, finance my hobby and top up my pension when the time comes.

Most of my effort comes from brokering deals with my buyers. I probably sell 90% of my items in asia and they love long and drawn out negotiations. Luckily most of this occurs while I am on the clock at my day job.

Do the Asian buyers contact you through eBay?  Are they the ones who ask for large quantities at ridiculously low prices?