Is it possible to have a retirement or out of stock within 1 year?

Has anyone ever seen a set that retired or unavailable within one year? Is it possible? From what i know, the least would be 2 years. Let say, if the set really do well right after the introduction and out of stock. Will TLG manufacture them more to cope with the demand and to make the product's life cycle as expected?

Is it possible for a set to be retired or out of stock within a year? Of course. I keep harping on these two sets but they always seem to bear repeating. 3222 Helicopter & Limosine (Walmart exclusive) and 8403 City House (Target exclusive) both from 2010 had a very short life span on shelves. Series 1 of the Minifigures line insanely sold out in a flash and although later Series' have much more stock produced each is available for such a short period of time as well.

The Death/Life Star of course! Wait, that`s only an investors passed dream. Disregard this. 

The Zombies for sure, 41999 was gone within 24hrs I believe, B Wing as well. If the rumors regarding the Haunted House are true and it retires in December, then it will have been out for just over a year. I doubt it though, unfortunately. 

Is it possible for a set to be retired or out of stock within a year? Of course. I keep harping on these two sets but they always seem to bear repeating. 3222 Helicopter & Limosine (Walmart exclusive) and 8403 City House (Target exclusive) both from 2010 had a very short life span on shelves. Series 1 of the Minifigures line insanely sold out in a flash and although later Series' have much more stock produced each is available for such a short period of time as well.

I love that set. Luckily I was able to get one during a trip down south (Florida to be exact). It was fun to build and display. This makes me want to go dig it out of the storage bins...I know I have the instructions, and possibly the box. 

Lord of the Rings Attack on Weathertop (9472) retired recently after less than a year.  I for one was very surprised to see it go so quickly.

Although they made enough of this one to last another year going by its availability still.

Didn't 10190 only last a year? Hence it's very high price now.

Although they made enough of this one to last another year going by its availability still.

Didn't 10190 only last a year? Hence it's very high price now.

Agreed...this set hasn't exactly vanished at the speed of light.  However, I would be willing to bet that the upcoming Christmas season gives the last sets a shove out the doors.  By Christmas 2014 people will be all over this set.  Let's face it, Ringwraiths are awesome, and this set is the only way to get them.

For now...

And hopefully forever!  :)

Honestly, I don't see Ringwraiths ever being included in anymore sets.  How many more LotR sets can they realistically make?  I think it will be more about Hobbit sets since there are two more movies due out.  By making the Tower of Orthanc and the Pirate Ship, etc. I think they are doing the Return of the King sets now, and that will be it.

Yes. I have seen some sets that have been around for less than a year. One of them was the 9465 Zombies set. I think that set was produced for only three months.

I don't know why it's gone before other MF. The crazy scientist and werewolf are also nice. Is it because of being a 'zombie'? LOL

21016 Sungnyemun was a short timer as well - 7-8 months.

Is it really that popular? I didn't know that. Personally I don't think it's that nice. It still can be found around here.

The Death/Life Star of course! Wait, that`s only an investors passed dream. Disregard this. 

The Zombies for sure, 41999 was gone within 24hrs I believe, B Wing as well. If the rumors regarding the Haunted House are true and it retires in December, then it will have been out for just over a year. I doubt it though, unfortunately. 

I love that set. Luckily I was able to get one during a trip down south (Florida to be exact). It was fun to build and display. This makes me want to go dig it out of the storage bins...I know I have the instructions, and possibly the box. 

24hr is too short lol. Would like to see any other set breaks the record in the future.  :ike:

Agreed...this set hasn't exactly vanished at the speed of light.  However, I would be willing to bet that the upcoming Christmas season gives the last sets a shove out the doors.  By Christmas 2014 people will be all over this set.  Let's face it, Ringwraiths are awesome, and this set is the only way to get them.

I think Weathertop will do well because of the nice figures in it. I have parted some out since I got so many on clearance the ring wraiths sell well because it only comes with two. I am keeping several extras to put with my set.