Tips on cleaning used Lego

DominickSoldano

maybe they were used in some science experience or independent docu movie.  e.g. buy fast food and film the 'decomposition' in petri dishes made of Lego elements

That experiement would take long time to complete if not abandoned already.  One of my co-worker hid a MacDonalds hamburger inside the cabinet of another co-worker as a practical joke.  TWO years later when we moved floor, he found a hidden dried up patty and buns with no bad smell whatsoever.

• 3 months later...

i finally cleaned and built the 10144 sandcrawler last week.  the x-wing is still in a baggie with it's dirt.

to clean the sandcrawler, i emptied out my kitchen sink, used a medium sized sturdy plastic pasta strainer, and washed 10-30  elements at a time (depending on size).  the facet sprayer did all the hard work for me by washing away the dust and dirt.  then i quickly padded the elements with a kitchen towel. each batch of wet elements were then put in a clear storage bin (around 12x24x4).   i separated the 5 elements with stickers along with the 270+ wheel threads into their own baggie (they were completely dry).

completely air drying the elements took 3 days. i would move around the elements with my hands during the 1st day when remembering to do so.  another task i did was emptying the storage bin of elements into another one and wipe any remaining water.   i did this about 6 times over 3 days and it helped with the drying process..

during the build, an old soft toothbrush was used if i noticed dust still on a brick.

note: i did clean (spray) the kitchen sink with bleach after the "bath" just to be on the safe side :)

I use a strainer in kitchen sink but I do hundreds of pieces at a time.  I let them soak for awhile with mild hand soap, giving them a stir once in awhile.  After an hour or so, wash them under running water and use a salad spinner to get a lot of the excess water out.  Then air dry them for 2 days on paper towels, but they seem dry after 1.

I use a strainer in kitchen sink but I do hundreds of pieces at a time.  I let them soak for awhile with mild hand soap, giving them a stir once in awhile.  After an hour or so, wash them under running water and use a salad spinner to get a lot of the excess water out.  Then air dry them for 2 days on paper towels, but they seem dry after 1.

Good ideas.

For me, I didn't let the 10144 elements soak because of the amount of dirt on them and the strainer would have just gotten clogged. Yeah, it was that dirty. Think of Pig-Pen from the peanuts.

I did look at solid spinners but Target's $25+ was a tad much. I also was worried about elements getting dinged. The spinners were made of hard plastic.

Yeah, I'll throw $100s cash into a set without thinking but am very cheap when it comes to a salad spinner. Ha.

I use a very similar process, but I use a small, high speed fan on the pieces to dry them off quickly. You have to be careful you use the correct speed setting, though - too fast and you get a shower of bricks all over the floor!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I throw the washable pieces in a sock, tie the end then soak in the sink then rinse.  for quick drying simply lay a towel out  and put a fan in front. usually putting the labeled ziplock bag with the unwashable pieces  in front of the towel.  this lets us wash more then a couple sets at a time. so far so good.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

mostly i'm just worried about dust but a couple time I've noticed the grime sticking to the sock rather then redistributing back to the bricks.  old socks seems to be porous enough to let most of dirt pass through with out losing elements.  just don't use any socks that have holes in them

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a bulk ;lot that had many licensed minifigs and some incomplete sets.  Upon arrival and inspection, turns out that Sid from Toy Story 1 must've owned these.  1/5s of the minifigs (and a few elements) had permanent marker on them. 

for permanent marker (any color), i had success using Goo Gone.  The marker come up w/o hurting the Lego artwork / design under it.  Even a 2006 Batman face (with the white stripe above the eyes) and Indiana Jones torso cleaned nicely.