Anyone else tired of getting bent up and damaged instruction books out of new sets?

I was going to see if anyone else had this problem and if it bothers them:

New bigger sets normally come with a piece of cardboard and the instruction booklet inside a package - book doesn't get bent up.

However, in smaller sets, they just toss the booklet and sticker sheet right down in there. I have had a lot of problems witht hem being bent so bad they wont stay open, the stickers coming off the sheet, pages torn, etc.

Does this bother anyone else? Lego needs to find a way to keep this from happening.

Btw for some reason it's super refreshing to see that new shiny icon you've got for 3k posts. I wish we had more variety in those within the community, gets boring seeing the same ones scrolling by on every thread.

I do really like it - Its that way just because most members are all in the same range. As the community grows it will get better. lol

The packaging idea is bad as for me.  The booklets are often torn and wrinkled, the bags are flying inside the box 'cause it's too big often.  I don't believe it would cost Lego much more to print instructions on better paper and give little more thought about the boxes.  Bigger sets are expensive and cool, but you don't get that feeling.

Just last night I was parting out some new sets and the poor sticker sheets right out of the box looked like I had given them to the dogs to play with.

The instruction books I don't mind so much - bended, folded, etc. and they're not typically big sellers - but the sticker sheets I mind.

Yeah - for my personal collections instruction books aren't too big a deal but if you are parting out or anything like that, you never know what kind of buyer you will get that wont like it.

I don't mind.  I expect the sticker sheets and instructions to come bunched up since that's what they do.  Just means I put something heavy on them for a little while to flatten them out.  If the stickers are bad Lego is usually good about replacing them.  They can't be so surprised if people call up and tell them the net effect of not packing those items with greater care.

Yes. Especially when some smaller sticker sheets are bent, and then the bending causes some of the stickers to peel away from the sheet, making the stickers just images on paper with dust on the back.

I don't really get annoyed with the bend up instructions booklets, because I usually just bend them the other way and it's good enough for me. I haven't ever received a damaged instructions booklet from LEGO Shop at Home, but I have gotten at least a few damaged ones from used sets on eBay, though I can't really complain there.

Back in the day [in 2001], I bought a UCS X-Wing and it was before they used cardboard for things like the decals.  The sticker sheet was smushed together and mostly not usable, but for the info plaque.  I threw them away not really thinking anything of it (I was not privvy to the value of legos in the secondary market at the time).

I still have the set, and it's sad to look at and know that it would cost quite a bit to replace the stickers that it's lacking :(

I am just happy that they use the cardboard in big-value sets today so that I do not have to repeat this experience.  Of course, if it did happen, at least I would be more aware and just ask Lego for a replacement before it goes EOL :D

I do not like when the instruction booklets are bent up. Sometimes they are so bent up, I have to place them between two 2,000 page Random house dictionaries for a week to get them perfect. It is a good thing that the new sets that are big, come with the piece of cardboard in the back to keep the instructions perfect.

Bent, definitely. I find a lot of the medium sized sets don`t bother to have the inserts, like the Modulars are starting to have. Never had one damaged, but it`s really frustrating trying to build a set and having to put some sort of object on each end of the booklet to keep it open. 

I do not like when the instruction booklets are bent up. Sometimes they are so bent up, I have to place them between two 2,000 page Random house dictionaries for a week to get them perfect. It is a good thing that the new sets that are big, come with the piece of cardboard in the back to keep the instructions perfect.

Exactly!  :thumbsup:

You have two books with 2000 pages in your house? I probably don't even have 2000 pages of paper total in my house including magazines, books, everything.