So what are people buying to get their Mini VWs?

CNH1974

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha :)

Your grass needs cutting :P

Halloween is massive in the US. Most Western cultures enjoy Halloween but the US love it. It may be second only to Christmas in popularity. All things relating to spooky characters go done a treat (no pun intended). I think the VC and HH were very much released because of the US's passion for Holiday themes that engage the kids. So yes the set will always be more popular in the US but it will still do well in the UK, particularly when it goes EOL. It fits perfectly with the MF line. When that happens loads of people will be saying "how come I didn't even know about this set"

Halloween has annoyingly become more poplar in the UK. When kids knock on the I think, go away you're not Americans! : grumpy:

It's replaced Guys Fawkes night which was much more interesting when I was growing up. You got to blow things up..... until the Health and Safety stepped in. :(

Halloween is massive in the US. Most Western cultures enjoy Halloween but the US love it. It may be second only to Christmas in popularity. 

It's definitely second only to Christmas in shopping dollars spent on it. Any of the Lego monster type stuff will do well as "crossover" items, too - attracting people who are not necessarily "Lego People".

Haha :)

Your grass needs cutting :P

Halloween has annoyingly become more poplar in the UK. When kids knock on the I think, go away you're not Americans! : grumpy:

It's replaced Guys Fawkes night which was much more interesting when I was growing up. You got to blow things up..... until the Health and Safety stepped in. :(

Guys Fawkes wanted to blow things up, you blew things up, the IRA blew things up and Health and safety insisted in putting holes in Lego people's heads. What a mad violent and crazy world we live in.

I exchanged two Jake and the Neverland Pirates Dunlop sets ($55 retail value) and picked up a $15 Pixar Planes Duplo set as well as a $15 PAB cup and 5 Halloween accessories packs.

First time around on the PAB wall. I've never seemed to find any pieces I wanted but the store I was in had the 1x4 brown log bricks.

I wasn't sure they would give me the polybag but the manager said as long as I hit the $75 I was good even though I had an exchange.

It's definitely second only to Christmas in shopping dollars spent on it. Any of the Lego monster type stuff will do well as "crossover" items, too - attracting people who are not necessarily "Lego People".

It's actually 7th behind Easter, Thanksgiving, Mother and Fathers day, Valentines and of course Christmas. 

It's actually 7th behind Easter, Thanksgiving, Mother and Fathers day, Valentines and of course Christmas. 

I can buy the rest of these, but Thanksgiving really surprises me if true.  The only thing I know people buy for T-Day is food - do they count Black Friday in with the T-Day sales, or is BF actually counted toward Christmas?

Are these really holiday themes. Can't really see Lego doing a Thanksgivings day theme. Slaughtered native Americans in their 100,000's and bloodthirsty European religious zealots. May be a little hard to market. LOL   :devil:

I can buy the rest of these, but Thanksgiving really surprises me if true.  The only thing I know people buy for T-Day is food - do they count Black Friday in with the T-Day sales, or is BF actually counted toward Christmas?

I thought the same thing but then I thought about how many people travel on Thanksgiving. One plane ticket covers a lot of candy and costumes. 

Are these really holiday themes. Can't really see Lego doing a Thanksgivings day theme. Slaughtered native Americans in their 100,000's and bloodthirsty European religious zealots. May be a little hard to market. LOL   :devil:

I know right? Everyone tries to act like it was all fun and Turkey in the real thanksgiving time!

Anybody else getting multiple of these VW polybags with their online orders?  Out of 4 separate orders I've received, I got 6 mini VWs and 2 SW trooper.  I have 6 other orders that have yet to arrive and indeed some of those orders indicate 2 mini VW polybags...what's up with that?

Thanks for the correction, Pickle - I have no idea where I read Halloween had broken into the top 2, but I did some searching to verify your post and it shows me that a) I dreamed it or b ) the information was totally incorrect or c) both.  :queen:

Regardless, Halloween is big in the U.S., monsters are popular amongst a wide variety of mega-geeks like me all year long, and the Lego monster themes are, imo, winners.

Yes I get it over time, but I don't see it that way for individual purchases. So ignoring currencies. You buy something for 100 and do not use points, do you enter it as 100 or 95 in your Brick Portfolio?

I would enter it as 95 in my portfolio.

Conversely you by a 100 set and use 40 worth of VIP Points to make the cash paid $60.  Do you enter that as 60 in your portfolio?  I would enter it as 100.  Or possibly 95 again assuming that order earned points as well (do you earn points when spending points, not sure myself?).  

I think you mentioned using the points to get discount PAB cups or sets for personal use.  To me that is still spending $ as there is opportunity cost involved in not using them to discount an investment set.  

Putting aside the accounting standard rules that we probably don't need to follow unless you are in a formal business, then doing it either way doesn't really matter that much.  Just interesting to see peoples different takes on it.

Conversely you by a 100 set and use 40 worth of VIP Points to make the cash paid $60.  Do you enter that as 60 in your portfolio?  I would enter it as 100.  Or possibly 95 again assuming that order earned points as well (do you earn points when spending points, not sure myself?).  

I think you mentioned using the points to get discount PAB cups or sets for personal use.  To me that is still spending $ as there is opportunity cost involved in not using them to discount an investment set.  

Putting aside the accounting standard rules that we probably don't need to follow unless you are in a formal business, then doing it either way doesn't really matter that much.  Just interesting to see peoples different takes on it.

You only get VIP points for the cash you spend, i thought the same thing, lego dude @ store let me know

I can hardly swallow that even if it is the truth. I mean, what the heck is there to buy around Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, or Valentines Day?

Easter - eggs, some decorations(?), embarrassing bunny costume to strap kids in (oh the horror!)

Thanksgiving - food, food, more food, airplane tickets to either visit family or be visited by said family (crap)

Mother's Day/Father's Day - ....holiday card and some candy? what are you supposed to do for this holiday?

Valentines Day - chocolates and flowers for significant other (because you did something wrong or wanna 'get some' or both)

By comparison, Halloween has a ton of stuff to blow money on as well as Christmas. Also more of an actual holiday to do something with.

Hmmm interesting. In your example, I would enter 60 in the portfolio. Because that is the "actual" price paid for that particular piece of stock.

It can lead to some odd individual ROI % figures. I bought a 853373 chess set for

I got my mini VW Campervan today with my Sydney Opera House.

So I decided to build it. I felt uneasy about opening the polybag, I heard the screams of a thousand Lego Brickvesters as the scissors cut into the plastic. I feared something terrible had just happened...

It was quick to build & looks like its bigger brother. I modified it (yes) to look like my other van..post-15550-0-40175600-1378899860_thumb.jpost-15550-0-53178900-1378899883_thumb.j

Guest eightbrick

I got my mini VW Campervan today with my Sydney Opera House.

So I decided to build it. I felt uneasy about opening the polybag, I heard the screams of a thousand Lego Brickvesters as the scissors cut into the plastic. I feared something terrible had just happened...

It was quick to build & looks like its bigger brother. I modified it (yes) to look like my other van..attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good on you for building it and sharing the two side by side. It looks really nice, I'll probably be on the hunt for one when the BC opens.