Want to get your opinions on this Ebay Method

For me, it would really depend on the item and the price.

I just had some lady tell me I was stupid this morning because I wouldn't take her best offer that was "only" 50 cents off. Only problem was it was a minifig I was selling for $3 with free shipping, so 50 cents is like all of the money I'm getting.

I really just wanted to ask her, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO JUST PAY MY ASKING PRICE IF 50 CENTS ISN'T A BIG DEAL TO YOU?

Sometimes they are looking for sellers who can't do math. ;-) Sometimes they just don't know about all the fees, what shipping really costs, etc.

I would urge you to rethink those $3 sales - unless it's a "set it and forget it" easy to pack repeatable and you have lots of them, it really isn't worth your time for those .50 cent profits. Bundle it with something similar and you'll make more money on the listing for less work.

What's the explanation for the stuff I have up there for more than 15% above my competitors that sells in a day? A couple days? A week? Happens all the time, too.

Not everyone is shopping for rock-bottom price. Luck, reputation, listing quality, finding more than one item wanted from the same store, where someone will ship to, shipping options, and more all play a part that can easily make up for far more than 15% price difference.

15 or 18 months isn't the normal selling period for me, either, it was just an example of one of the things that can happen on a marketplace as large and diverse as eBay.

"Never going to sell" is a false statement when it applies to a 15% difference. If you really want the last word on that, take it, but I've been selling on eBay for nearly 16 years now and I have the stats and experience to know that I'm absolutely right on that.

Is it complete - I mentioned that I was talking about stuff that was not just straight up complete or perfect.

No one questioned anything. As I remember you directly told me I was wrong and you were right. Perhaps I should have said "never going to sell quickly" and you wouldn't have taken my exaggeration as exactly what I meant and started lecturing me on it and how right you are - its clearly an opinion and you have a different one. I never once told you that you were wrong - I said I disagreed. I also said that most people aren't content to wait that long. I don't doubt you have stuff sell that quick - however, I also said in my original post that "I only do this after it has sat for a long time". You are jumping on the offended bandwagon a little early.

I don't have to defend the method - it works a lot for me. More I was just trying to find out why some people got angry about it despite the politeness and reasonableness of it. I may have worded my original post poorer than you expected, but I don't need a lecture on selling stuff and Ebay :)

This is something I never understand - although  thats why I dont put best offer on them - people that offer you less than 3$. Shipping First Class USPS is $1.69 and ebay and paypal take another $.40. So you are making a dollar - your packing and time to put it in the mail. I don't think you can really sell something for less unless you have shipping discounts or something of that nature.

When you're selling in large numbers (like 30 at a time), it's nice to be able to offer a discount if someone wants to buy a bunch of them. Plus it saves money on shipping, so you actually make more in the end.

Is it complete - I mentioned that I was talking about stuff that was not just straight up complete or perfect.

When you talked about incomplete, you gave an example of "100 missing parts" - there are not going to be two comparable sets missing the exact same number of parts or the exact same parts or in the exact same condition or with the exact same quality of description and pictures - in other words, it would be the norm, not the exception, to be unable to compare two or more "incomplete sets" to determine if a 15% price difference means it's never going to sell -- but if you WERE able to do this, you'd find it didn't cause one to sell and the other not to.

To use a similar criteria in books - I sell almost all used books. Used books are similar to incomplete sets -- it's unusual to find two exactly alike -- but in SIMILAR condition I can easily sell the same book, quickly, for more than 15% above the lower priced offerings of other sellers, based on any and all of the criteria in my other posts.

My opinion is my opinion just like yours is yours. My opinion in this case is: you're wrong that a 15% marked up set, incomplete set, part, piece, minifig, or rototiller will "never sell".  :thumbsup:  My opinion doesn't make it so, nor do you or anyone else have to listen to me, nor am I intending to lecture you any more than I'm sure you intend to lecture me.

But we can all learn things (I learn things here every day) and maybe if you think it over and try it out, you'll find you can get better prices on eBay than you thought. Regardless, though, the sellers at 15% above "normal" you're emailing absolutely have a chance of that and should never think never with such a small difference in profit margin.

(And I apologize for responding if it offends you, but you asked a question and the Border Collie in me would not allow me to fail to answer.  :twitch:  )

When you talked about incomplete, you gave an example of "100 missing parts" - there are not going to be two comparable sets missing the exact same number of parts or the exact same parts or in the exact same condition or with the exact same quality of description and pictures - in other words, it would be the norm, not the exception, to be unable to compare two or more "incomplete sets" to determine if a 15% price difference means it's never going to sell -- but if you WERE able to do this, you'd find it didn't cause one to sell and the other not to.

To use a similar criteria in books - I sell almost all used books. Used books are similar to incomplete sets -- it's unusual to find two exactly alike -- but in SIMILAR condition I can easily sell the same book, quickly, for more than 15% above the lower priced offerings of other sellers, based on any and all of the criteria in my other posts.

My opinion is my opinion just like yours is yours. My opinion in this case is: you're wrong that a 15% marked up set, incomplete set, part, piece, minifig, or rototiller will "never sell".  :thumbsup:  My opinion doesn't make it so, nor do you or anyone else have to listen to me, nor am I intending to lecture you any more than I'm sure you intend to lecture me.

But we can all learn things (I learn things here every day) and maybe if you think it over and try it out, you'll find you can get better prices on eBay than you thought. Regardless, though, the sellers at 15% above "normal" you're emailing absolutely have a chance of that and should never think never with such a small difference in profit margin.

(And I apologize for responding if it offends you, but you asked a question and the Border Collie in me would not allow me to fail to answer.  :twitch:  )

Its not about the responses, its more I felt you were starting to feel as though I questioned your know how. And I wasn't. I know you know what you are talking about - just offering a different perspective you may not see as a high volume seller. You do it for business too. I do it totally for fun- so as a seller I don't give a crap if the profit is 50cents, I like it.

15% was just an example too - I guess its the way I type words, but I seem to get constantly called out for things I am just using as an example even though i say "for example" most of the time or use it in a sentence where I feel it is inferred.

I got what I was looking for anyway. Most people feel like as long as I am not telling them I know more than them (which I avoid and is why you will never see me talk about myself too much because I hate that quality in people) then they don't mind the interaction. I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

I want to amend something else too - another reason I do this: If the listing sucks. Now I know you make good listings which is why you get top dollar. Some people don't - no pictures, little description etc. So thats a reason it will never sell, not just the price.

For instance, I have been watching a bulk listing for a while now that is priced at $350. 0 watchers. Now, most people wont buy it because it doesn't look worth the time and his listing sucks. However, he has some sets that are gems in it. Assuming they are complete or close to it, worth $850 or so. But his listing sucks so he will never get that and I really would only want to take the chance at $300. So when his listing ends for the 3 consecutive time in a few days, I will message him.

Does that make sense? If the listing sucks does that make it more understandable why it wouldn't sell even at a slightly inflated price? I generally believe if you are going to sell something for higher than others, it has to look good, right?

When you're selling in large numbers (like 30 at a time), it's nice to be able to offer a discount if someone wants to buy a bunch of them. Plus it saves money on shipping, so you actually make more in the end.

Oh yeah good point - I forget about multiple listings. I normally only have one of something since I diversify a lot.

Does that make sense? If the listing sucks does that make it more understandable why it wouldn't sell even at a slightly inflated price? I generally believe if you are going to sell something for higher than others, it has to look good, right?

Absolutely. We do agree on more than we disagree on, you know.  :thumbsup:  I apologize for leaping all over you, have I ever mentioned that I'm not always the most tactful person around?

Some of you may have already guessed that, of course...  :rofl:

Absolutely. We do agree on more than we disagree on, you know.  :thumbsup:  I apologize for leaping all over you, have I ever mentioned that I'm not always the most tactful person around?

Some of you may have already guessed that, of course...  :rofl:

Not a problem - I tend to insight anger accidentally. I may not seem like it, but I generally never try to criticize people. However, because I tend to insight it anyway, I lash out early when I assume its happening again. No ones perfect.

Sometimes they are looking for sellers who can't do math. ;-) Sometimes they just don't know about all the fees, what shipping really costs, etc.

I would urge you to rethink those $3 sales - unless it's a "set it and forget it" easy to pack repeatable and you have lots of them, it really isn't worth your time for those .50 cent profits. Bundle it with something similar and you'll make more money on the listing for less work.

That's what it is. Breaking down some battle pack type stuff for easy money.

Believe me, I don't waste my time with one-offs for 50 cents.

I've got plenty of feedback, and every sale is just a chance for some buyer to try to screw you over 50 cents.

Lol - and maybe when that happens it will change my mind. I have only had the problem once and I just told them to keep it for free. (It was my fault though - or the post office anyway, not theirs)

Way to make things harder for all the other sellers.

How? because I sell things too cheap?

How so?

thats what I am saying. lol

I've had good experiences negotiating BIN prices down from sellers when I sense they'd be open for a quick sale at a fair, albeit lower, price then what their BIN was listed at. They didn't have "best offer" listed but honestly some sellers either don't think/know about that option.

Another example is someone who has multiple listings and I message that I would buy all at a certain price.

In each instance (about 4 in the last 2 months), the seller was very open to communicate, negotiate, and happy to make a deal. I view it as win-win.

I've had good experiences negotiating BIN prices down from sellers when I sense they'd be open for a quick sale at a fair, albeit lower, price then what their BIN was listed at. They didn't have "best offer" listed but honestly some sellers either don't think/know about that option.

Another example is someone who has multiple listings and I message that I would buy all at a certain price.

In each instance (about 4 in the last 2 months), the seller was very open to communicate, negotiate, and happy to make a deal. I view it as win-win.

Yes the multiple listings thing is a great one - and I like when people do it with me too. I will save on shipping and get to sell several at a time so I don't mind passing the savings.

By driving prices down, undercutting other sellers, and blah blah blah.

I am a jerk for selling a $4 minifig for $3! Really though, I normally don't mark things much lower than the normal prices. I don't mind sitting on minifigures since tey aren't too bad to store.

I hope you do list them for $1, then I can buy them from you!  :shifty:

Seriously, though, agree with Fc - there are always going to be sellers who sell cheaper than others for whatever reason - hobbyists, just cleaning out the garage, got a great deal and passing it on to the customer, whatever.

Other sellers owe me NOTHING when they're determining how best to price their stuff.