Hulks helicarrier breakout 6868

I bought one of these for $35 back in august.

There are still 7 more in my town, 2 @ walmart and 5 @ target. for $49.99 a pop

Is it a good idea to pick any or all of these up? What would you guys do? I'm thinking of using some of my Christmas bonus from work to buy them.

I'm thinking I will flip 4-6 of them for easy profit. Then, still have 2-4 of them for later growth.

What would you guys do?

I bought 10 at retail last week. I am going to hold most of them, but I have flipped a couple - but they could have been lucky sales too. The prices will sag a bit after christmas most likely.

I bought 10 at retail last week. I am going to hold most of them, but I have flipped a couple - but they could have been lucky sales too. The prices will sag a bit after christmas most likely.

That's what they all say, sag after X'mas......this is marvel you're dealing with. It's like saying comic prices takes a nose dive after x'mas which has never happened as long as I lived. This is a combination of Lego and Marvel. I mentioned earlier, if anyone gets this set signed by stan lee, get an AFA grade of 10.0 or even 9.5, I'm the first to pay $250 for it, and up to $300.

That's what they all say, sag after X'mas......this is marvel you're dealing with. It's like saying comic prices takes a nose dive after x'mas which has never happened as long as I lived. This is a combination of Lego and Marvel. I mentioned earlier, if anyone gets this set signed by stan lee, get an AFA grade of 10.0 or even 9.5, I'm the first to pay $250 for it, and up to $300.

Comics are completely different from Lego sets. These are all being offloaded from being bought after the set retired. Prices for everything on Ebay go down in January - or it just takes longer to sell. Eitherway, they are harder to offload for the price you want. Lego is much much more seasonal than Comics as well. Legos are given much more as gifts.

I bought one of these for $35 back in august.

There are still 7 more in my town, 2 @ walmart and 5 @ target. for $49.99 a pop

Is it a good idea to pick any or all of these up? What would you guys do? I'm thinking of using some of my Christmas bonus from work to buy them.

I'm thinking I will flip 4-6 of them for easy profit. Then, still have 2-4 of them for later growth.

What would you guys do?

Buy all of them for sure. 

Comics are completely different from Lego sets. These are all being offloaded from being bought after the set retired. Prices for everything on Ebay go down in January - or it just takes longer to sell. Eitherway, they are harder to offload for the price you want. Lego is much much more seasonal than Comics as well. Legos are given much more as gifts.

Compare it with the previously retired Marvel sets. I don't think there are any. :) The best bet is comparing it with a Batman retired set.

Issue 700, death of spiderman was hoarded up at $7.99, a graded one with Stan Lee's signature nets you easily +$100 and rising. Variants at 7.99 signed are worth up to $800. Do your DD and check ebay. I can't see this set being seasonal. So when it's sunny, people stop buying Hulk figures? I've been buying up Bowen figures/statues, there has never been a dip at any moment with the Thor figure. I'm still trying to net my first Thor figure under $400 and have been unsuccessful. So better think again. Marvel fans would hoard these sets, it's a different ballgame than hoarding Star Wars sets. Let's chat again in February 2014 when you pay $100USD for the Hulk figure.

Compare it with the previously retired Marvel sets. I don't think there are any. :) The best bet is comparing it with a Batman retired set.

Issue 700, death of spiderman was hoarded up at $7.99, a graded one with Stan Lee's signature nets you easily +$100 and rising. Variants at 7.99 signed are worth up to $800. Do your DD and check ebay. I can't see this set being seasonal. So when it's sunny, people stop buying Hulk figures? I've been buying up Bowen figures/statues, there has never been a dip at any moment with the Thor figure. I'm still trying to net my first Thor figure under $400 and have been unsuccessful. So better think again. Marvel fans would hoard these sets, it's a different ballgame than hoarding Star Wars sets. Let's chat again in February 2014 when you pay $100USD for the Hulk figure.

Hey I hope you are right - I don't follow a ton of marvel stuff, but it could definitely be different.

With 10 of these, I hope you are spot on. lol

Hey I hope you are right - I don't follow a ton of marvel stuff, but it could definitely be different.

With 10 of these, I hope you are spot on. lol

Let's not hope, let's watch. I don't have 10 of these. I have just 3. I've been investing in marvel items and collecting for more than 2 decades. Right now, I'm more curious about how this marvel set does. This is the biggest retired set from marvel so far? Correct me if I'm wrong. The other one that might be worth investing in is the Doc Oc and Spiderman set, if that goes retired, it can also skyrocket.

Hulk AFA 9.5 graded minifigure listed at $156. That's not even the brown pants. That is just 'listed', so take it for what it's worth. If you have 10 sets, open one up, get the individual pieces graded. Get one set signed by Stan Lee, graded, another $300 banger in the bag. Why am I giving all this money making ideas to you guys? :) hmmm......

Hulk AFA 9.5 graded minifigure listed at $156. That's not even the brown pants. That is just 'listed', so take it for what it's worth. If you have 10 sets, open one up, get the individual pieces graded. Get one set signed by Stan Lee, graded, another $300 banger in the bag. Why am I giving all this money making ideas to you guys? :) hmmm......

It's good to see it from the lense of a comic book fan. I hope you are right.  I'm a buy and hold guy with sets.  Never have a perspective how a Marvel fan look at a Lego set.

• Like 1

It's good to see it from the lense of a comic book fan. I hope you are right.  I'm a buy and hold guy with sets.  Never have a perspective how a Marvel fan look at a Lego set.

You know what? I could be wrong. Those people talking up the BWing in the other thread may disagree with my thoughts.

Marvel figures and lego sets by marvel will most likely go up on display cases of the collectible shops. You don't see this sort of stuff happening with modulars or any lego sets. Maybe the millenium falcon, but that's it. I went to my local collectible shop and they had one Doc Oc and Hulk Helicarrier breakout set, no Bwings, no Black Pearl boats, no LOTR sets. It's also a shop that sells marvel comics and resin cold cast figures. So take it for what it's worth. If a recent spiderman comic book can skyrocket after being graded, what's stopping this set from skyrocketing if you get it graded? Put it up on ebay after getting an AFA grade, inform me, and I'll be ready to bid, at least $100 for it.

You know what? I could be wrong. Those people talking up the BWing in the other thread may disagree with my thoughts.

Marvel figures and lego sets by marvel will most likely go up on display cases of the collectible shops. You don't see this sort of stuff happening with modulars or any lego sets. Maybe the millenium falcon, but that's it. I went to my local collectible shop and they had one Doc Oc and Hulk Helicarrier breakout set, no Bwings, no Black Pearl boats, no LOTR sets. It's also a shop that sells marvel comics and resin cold cast figures. So take it for what it's worth. If a recent spiderman comic book can skyrocket after being graded, what's stopping this set from skyrocketing if you get it graded? Put it up on ebay after getting an AFA grade, inform me, and I'll be ready to bid, at least $100 for it.

It's not how anyone's prediction is right or not, it's the idea generation that get my juices flowing.

As far as grading, a lot of people are turned off by the idea.  I have not seen Lego set at the comic book shops around me nor do they mention Lego with the flagship Marvel or DC super heroes (Batman, Spiderman, and Superman.)  That's definitely a potential market to be had.  

It's not how anyone's prediction is right or not, it's the idea generation that get my juices flowing.

As far as grading, a lot of people are turned off by the idea.  I have not seen Lego set at the comic book shops around me nor do they mention Lego with the flagship Marvel or DC super heroes (Batman, Spiderman, and Superman.)  That's definitely a potential market to be had.  

You just sit back and watch the show. I can imagine those who didn't get these sets, 5 yrs down the road cry. Or those who were holding onto 10 sets flipped them for a paltry profit of $30-$40, then say "I USED to own this set." Used to.........I didn't get enough sets myself, just a few floating around here and there. I was financially exhausted last month loading up some Stan Lee signed comic books, but hey.....timed it just right as Stan Lee recently announced that he wouldn't be at conventions as often signing things. A Stan Lee autograph issue 700 variant that I paid for around $200 is now bustin $500-$600 within 2 months......go figure.

Get this helicarrier breakout signed by the old man and you'll be laughing to the bank. Book it.

btw, not sure where you're located, on the westcoast, check out Golden Age Collectibles. I go there all the time, the Vancouver and Seattle stores. They always have some interesting things laying around.

Does that confirm the worth of the set, or just the signature by itself though?

It's the combination of having the set, and getting it signed, then graded AFA. You won't know what the open market would pay for that unless you do it. I know my opening bid would be $250. If nobody wants to pay that amount, I'll take it and I'll be laughing to the bank when the old man dies.

Does that confirm the worth of the set, or just the signature by itself though?

You're in the US, fly to Stan Lee's next signing even, bring along 20 sets, get him to write "with great powers come great responsibilities", and get him to do it on the spiderman sets. Grade them all, then you'll be busy counting your cash and bids on ebay. I've paid an avg of $200USD per signed comic issue 700 graded with him signing it. The good thing is that the next new listing that pops up, the bids go even higher. The cost of the comic was only $7.99, brand new, and just came out last year. Who knows what you'll get for the lego set. I give the ideas, I can't afford to fly down to Stan Lee events because I don't have 20 6868 sets. If I did, I'm sure to fly to an event. Flights from Canada to the US starts at $699 all the way to $1200.

All this talk about getting Stan Lee to sign made me look up to see where Stan Lee's next signing event is going to be. Lo and behold, Stan Lee is coming to my area next month. I live in Portland Oregon and he's coming to Portland Comic Con. So easy for me to get them signed.

He's charging $80 per item though. Debating if I should.

But thanks to all of you, without all this talk I wouldn't have found that out, and more importantly for me, is Bruce Campbell is coming to the con as well, and I would love to get his signature for a few of my Burn Notice dvds.

All this talk about getting Stan Lee to sign made me look up to see where Stan Lee's next signing event is going to be. Lo and behold, Stan Lee is coming to my area next month. I live in Portland Oregon and he's coming to Portland Comic Con. So easy for me to get them signed.

He's charging $80 per item though. Debating if I should.

But thanks to all of you, without all this talk I wouldn't have found that out, and more importantly for me, is Bruce Campbell is coming to the con as well, and I would love to get his signature for a few of my Burn Notice dvds.

That's a bit hefty compared to what it used to cost. So if your lego set based on retail price was around $59.99 (even though you might have paid $30), you get it signed for $80, that is worth a minimum $200, get AFA graded, 9.0 or higher, you would spend another $40-$50, or get your local comic shop to send it off for you, it's cheaper in bundles, then you're looking at a base minimum ask price of $250....so I'm about right. But with the signature, plus Bruce Campbell, that's double signed, you're looking at $300. Get that done and I'll pay you $400. :) extra $100-$200 of profits for you. I prefer a 9.5 grading.

That's a bit hefty compared to what it used to cost. So if your lego set based on retail price was around $59.99 (even though you might have paid $30), you get it signed for $80, that is worth a minimum $200, get AFA graded, 9.0 or higher, you would spend another $40-$50, or get your local comic shop to send it off for you, it's cheaper in bundles, then you're looking at a base minimum ask price of $250....so I'm about right. But with the signature, plus Bruce Campbell, that's double signed, you're looking at $300. Get that done and I'll pay you $400. :) extra $100-$200 of profits for you. I prefer a 9.5 grading.

I really apologize. I would, I definitely would, but I'm all out of Hulks. I have 1 set that I've kept for myself, but I sold the others I had recently. I'm only small time and wanted to free up some money for other sets. If I could find a Hulk near me, I'll definitely take you up on that offer, but they're all gone. When I mentioned the "debating", I should have clarified I was thinking about the Quinjet Aerial battle. Got a few of those for a good price.

I really apologize. I would, I definitely would, but I'm all out of Hulks. I have 1 set that I've kept for myself, but I sold the others I had recently. I'm only small time and wanted to free up some money for other sets. If I could find a Hulk near me, I'll definitely take you up on that offer, but they're all gone. When I mentioned the "debating", I should have clarified I was thinking about the Quinjet Aerial battle. Got a few of those for a good price.

The Quinjet Aerial battle is going to be another hot item, but definitely not as hot as the Hulk Helicarrier. Too many of those laying around. The minifigures are so-so. If they discontinue this set, I'd still take the Hulk over the Quinjet. It's all about the Green monster. :)