40079 - Mini VW T1 Camper Van

yellowstripe

That would be cool, but i don't think this particular polybag will make it to that stage.

Agreed, D.  I would bet most Lego stores will be out of this PB before 9/20/13, and could even be out before the 15th.  With the SW PB and the VW PB, people will be lining up to make purchases to get these PBs.

"pre-order"...so these sellers are expecting to get some of these campers and then just turn them around and ship them out to the buyers...sounds shady.

Not really.  Many buyers know they will be getting a bunch of these next month and would like to know that the item is already spoken for.  If they "pre-sell" 15 of these, I'm sure they will make sure they get 15 orders in to send to buyers.  Not really different than many of us pre ordering Series 10 minifigure cases before they came out. 

That would be cool, but i don't think this particular polybag will make it to that stage.

Agreed, D.  I would bet most Lego stores will be out of this PB before 9/20/13, and could even be out before the 15th.  With the SW PB and the VW PB, people will be lining up to make purchases to get these PBs.

Yes. After all, these polybags are "while supplies last" so it is in your best interest to go at the very beginning of September!!

Too bad the tile on the front is a sticker.  We can't even get polybags now without stickers.  Still can't wait for Sep. 1 to get here.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the inclusion of one sticker and the printing of one tile in a set like this?  For both scenarios you'd have the graphic design. For the sticker, you have the export to the printing process and all that entails along with the bringing together the printed sticker at the right time with the plastic parts in the packaging process and all that is involved there.  For the printed element, you have the additional costs of the stamping tooling (is that what it is called?) and the time on the machine for each of what looks like 3 colors in this case, and then the routing of that special part through properly in the packaging process...yeah, I'm sure there are other steps and approval cycles that I am missing...but let's say this is a $5.00 polybag at retail price...with 76 elements that brings the price/element to 6.58 cents (US) per piece...what would the cost per set add be to delete the sticker and add the printed element?  Let's guess at the production run quantity of this set and put that number at 100,000 units.  and let's say the cost difference between the two scenarios for LEGO, that is the production cost difference is $20,000 (although in my limited understanding that seems high).  Let's also say that since we are thinking that this is a $5.00 polybag at retail, that the wholesale to retail markup is 100%...so the wholesale price would be $2.50 and the production markup would be 100% also so the production cost we'll set at $1.25.  With those assumptions, the production cost/piece would be 1.64 cents/piece.  Now, if we amortize that additional $20,000 in to the 100,000 unit production run we would need to add another 20 cents/set to cover the additional $20,000 expending by the producer thus yielding a production cost of $1.45, and a wholesale cost of $2.90 and therefore a retail cost of $5.80.  So using these assumptions, the cost of moving to a printed piece from a sticker at the retail level in this scenario where we only have one sticker to think about is 80 cents/set or in this case a change from 6.58 cents/piece to 7.63 cents/piece.  If this set were for sale and the cost was $5.80 instead of $5.00 and there was a printed tile instead of the sticker, I bet most of us would still purchase it and we'd be glad we did...Well, that is a lot of assumptions, and if the variables are off, it would change things considerably...