Is there an FAQ for shipping? Some Shipping Qs

bg2001

I'm going to be selling off a few of my sets.  I'm looking for advice on shipping.  Particularly, what is the most cost effective way to ship without damaging the product.  Also how much to charge

I looked at priority mail flat rate boxes but they seem sort of expensive.  I see people charging 6 bucks for items that would fit in a $12 priority flat rate box. 

Also, does anyone have more specific advice for different sizes of sets?

My thinking is that I need to have 5 different size boxes and shipping rates calculated based approximately on pcs - i.e. the 100 pc, 200, 400, 600, and 800 pc sets.  I don't have anything larger than that yet.

For simplicity's sake, all shipping would be US.

I've worked in the shipping industry for the past 14 years and I can't stress this enough make sure you package the items securely.  Use a sturdy box and use lots of tape.  Never ever skimp on the tape.  You would not believe how many packages I've seen open because of this.  It is also a good idea to put a copy of the invoice or an extra shipping label (ie FedEx label) inside of the package.

When you see people charging less than you think it should cost on shipping, it likely means they've embedded part of the shipping cost into the item price - it can be a good strategy, because the shipping looks like a bargain to the customer, and they like that.

I simply embed the entire shipping cost and offer "free" shipping on everything on eBay.

Re: tips: besides the lots of tape and sturdy box that turbo recommends, don't forget PADDING all around the set. The majority of damage in shipping things like Lego boxes (and books, with which I am much too familiar) is "bouncing" around in a box. You want to pad it so the item inside can't shift at all.

Peanuts, bubblewrap, those poofy air envelopes for light items (though they can burst so I don't like them much) and the item has a much better chance of arriving in the condition you sent it.

(Edited for my usual hilarious typos.)

I have a shipping question for the group.  I sold all 4 of my Crawler 41999's in one auction.  It all worked out great.  Got a good price and unloaded them all at once.  This person is in the UK but it's through the Global Shipping Program so all I need to do is ship it to Kentucky.  Based on what I have read and my own experience it feels like FedEx will be best but should I try to find a single box for all 4 or possibly break it up into a couple of boxes?  Thoughts?

I have a shipping question for the group.  I sold all 4 of my Crawler 41999's in one auction.  It all worked out great.  Got a good price and unloaded them all at once.  This person is in the UK but it's through the Global Shipping Program so all I need to do is ship it to Kentucky.  Based on what I have read and my own experience it feels like FedEx will be best but should I try to find a single box for all 4 or possibly break it up into a couple of boxes?  Thoughts?

Use a single box for shipping multiple items. 

Cohens, I'd use a single box. Be sure to pad well between each set (so they don't rub against each other), and also make sure to waterproof each set, you never know what sort of weather conditions, lawn sprinklers, etc. they're going to encounter. Finally, make sure you fill the box with packing material so that the sets can't roam around the box.

• Like 1

I am not the foremost expert of GSP, but I will try to answer your questions.  This is probably the last time I am doing this since all of the points below I got directly from the GSP website (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html).  I strongly advise everyone to bookmark this page :)

1.  Items contained in a single order should be shipped in a single package per seond to last point under "Best Practices"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#best

2. Make sure the size and weight of your box adheres to GSP's DIM limitations:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#eligibility

3.  There is a limit of $2500 per transaction on using GSP.  You should receive an email if your transaction exceed that amount.  (per last 3 points under "Eligibility")

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#eligibility

Cohens, I'd use a single box. Be sure to pad well between each set (so they don't rub against each other), and also make sure to waterproof each set, you never know what sort of weather conditions, lawn sprinklers, etc. they're going to encounter. Finally, make sure you fill the box with packing material so that the sets can't roam around the box.

Isn't it going to be over the smallest box size for normal shipping? If you use Fedex, once you get to a certain box size, shipping more than doubles in a lot of cases if it counts as oversized. Honestly, I would look at doing two boxes with two separate crawlers and use a FEDEX calc to compare them.

Don't use USPS or UPS - you will overpay.

Isn't it going to be over the smallest box size for normal shipping? If you use Fedex, once you get to a certain box size, shipping more than doubles in a lot of cases if it counts as oversized. Honestly, I would look at doing two boxes with two separate crawlers and use a FEDEX calc to compare them.

Don't use USPS or UPS - you will overpay.

DNIIM, have you successfully split one listing to multiple packages for GSP ? The GSP page clearly said all items in a sigle order needs to be in a single package (links in my post above).  I was wondering if you or anyone has successfully split an order to mulitple boxes for GSP because that will seriously undermine their GSP page.

DNIIM, have you successfully split one listing to multiple packages for GSP ? The GSP page clearly said all items in a sigle order needs to be in a single package (links in my post above).  I was wondering if you or anyone has successfully split an order to mulitple boxes for GSP because that will seriously undermine their GSP page.

Great question and I was wondering the same thing.  I am a little worried about the size of the box I might need for these 4 41999's and so having the option to split this into 2 boxes would be nice to have.  If anyone has done this it would be great to know.

No I haven't - I didn't notice that before. I would think it would really only matter to Ebay because they can only really track one shipping number in their system to their hub.

I bet if you called them and talked to them they could handle it. The requirement doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise.

At the same time, if this was a GSP order, you already had calculated shipping on it right? OR was it free shipping?

If it was free shipping, he should be in very good shape - embedding four separate shipping charges in something that ends up selling all four to the same shipping address should easily cover his costs and more, even with the oversized packaging.

I would tend to agree. My one question is - when you put in free shipping, you don't have to put in a weight for the item, so how does GSP know how much to invoice the buyer for international shipping?

The free shipping is only to the hub I am pretty sure. Thats how it was on the minifig I just sold.

If it was free shipping, he should be in very good shape - embedding four separate shipping charges in something that ends up selling all four to the same shipping address should easily cover his costs and more, even with the oversized packaging.

Ok so I called Ebay and got the scoop.  First my item was marked free shipping in the US but I was charging a ton for international.  The buyer is good with the GSP program so he chose that option.  This means I ship for free to KY and from there I am out of it and the GPS program charges the buyer.  Now to the Ebay call.  The woman told me it's acceptable to ship in multiple boxes but to very very clearly label the boxes with the reference number and that it's 1 of 2 boxes.  She said the real issue doing this is that most people don't do this so there is a chance some line guy doesn't notice and that would cause issues.  I will likely try to find a single box for this to avoid issues but it's good to know my options.

The weight and dimension fields are still available for free shipping - I have been putting them into every listing for months now, and I use only free shipping.

HOWEVER, weight and dimensions are not a requirement for the GSP, at least not in the book categories, because all my listings from earlier than a few months ago do not have weight and dimensions listed and are still eligible for, and sell through, the GSP. In those cases, I presume eBay is going off catalog information they already have (where applicable) or estimating weight/dimensions based on the category listed.

And yes, free shipping is only domestic, just like if someone in Kentucky bought it. Just like calculated shipping through the GSP is only domestic and eBay tacks on the additional international shipping charges from there.

I would tend to agree. My one question is - when you put in free shipping, you don't have to put in a weight for the item, so how does GSP know how much to invoice the buyer for international shipping?

The free shipping is only to the hub I am pretty sure. Thats how it was on the minifig I just sold.

Your statement is correct.  If you mark your item free shipping in the US then shipping it to the GPS office will ultimately be free to the buyer.  From there GPS charges the buyer once they get the items and can accurately tell them the cost.  I have had good success so far with GPS but for the buyer the cost is really high from what I hear.  One would think that the discounts Ebay gets on shipping would ultimately make this more cost efficient but I don't think that is the case.  Ebay obviously makes some money on this and my guess is they aren't necessarily as worried about being cost efficient as we would all be which may explain the high cost for the buyer.

Thanks, cohens, for the update - yeah, I'd be looking for that single box, too. I have a rule when dealing with eBay, customers, and the taxing authorities: Never make them have to think.  :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more and I had a situation with Amazon once with a very large item that had 3 boxes and they had to ship it to me 3 times because the einstein in their warehouse kept missing the 3 of 3 box.  I can see the exact same thing happening here only I would be the one having to deal with it.

Your statement is correct.  If you mark your item free shipping in the US then shipping it to the GPS office will ultimately be free to the buyer.  From there GPS charges the buyer once they get the items and can accurately tell them the cost.  I have had good success so far with GPS but for the buyer the cost is really high from what I hear.  One would think that the discounts Ebay gets on shipping would ultimately make this more cost efficient but I don't think that is the case.  Ebay obviously makes some money on this and my guess is they aren't necessarily as worried about being cost efficient as we would all be which may explain the high cost for the buyer.

Actually, that's not correct. The GSP charges are charged at the time of the sale, exactly when the buyer pays you, they are also paying the GSP. You can see what charges your buyer is paying by printing off a packing slip on eBay under the "print label" option in my eBay.

Pitney Bowes (the shipping service) definitely charges an extra fee, I don't know if eBay gets a cut of that or if they simply take the money from international FvF fees (which they are raking in now that sellers previously scared to ship international have the GSP option) and call it a win.

The GSP has always been cheaper, in my experience, than priority mail or express mail international. It's not always cheaper than FCMI, but the tracking for that is limited to less than 20 countries and not yet fully reliable.

Actually, that's not correct. The GSP charges are charged at the time of the sale, exactly when the buyer pays you, they are also paying the GSP. You can see what charges your buyer is paying by printing off a packing slip on eBay under the "print label" option in my eBay.

Pitney Bowes (the shipping service) definitely charges an extra fee, I don't know if eBay gets a cut of that or if they simply take the money from international FvF fees (which they are raking in now that sellers previously scared to ship international have the GSP option) and call it a win.

The GSP has always been cheaper, in my experience, than priority mail or express mail international. It's not always cheaper than FCMI, but the tracking for that is limited to less than 20 countries and not yet fully reliable.

I wonder how they figure out the cost then.  I certainly didn't add any dimensions and some of the things I have sold can't be looked up like SDCC minifigs.  All good I just wonder how they calculate when the seller doesn't input anything.  For this item I am sure they can easily look it up since it's a retail SKU.  Not my problem but good to know it gets charged right when they pay.

Ok so I called Ebay and got the scoop.  First my item was marked free shipping in the US but I was charging a ton for international.  The buyer is good with the GSP program so he chose that option.  This means I ship for free to KY and from there I am out of it and the GPS program charges the buyer.  Now to the Ebay call.  The woman told me it's acceptable to ship in multiple boxes but to very very clearly label the boxes with the reference number and that it's 1 of 2 boxes.  She said the real issue doing this is that most people don't do this so there is a chance some line guy doesn't notice and that would cause issues.  I will likely try to find a single box for this to avoid issues but it's good to know my options.

here is the FEDEX doc that goes over shipping sizes for normal domestic routes without oversized oxes. If you follow the dimension guidelines, this should help you possibly avoid the oversized charges.