Do finding 50-75% off deals make you less likely to buy 25% off sales?

When I started investing, I was able to get, 10%, maybe a little more off of sets (most were retired just still on shelf).  Then I moved my way to 20-25% off with a few 50% off sets mixed in.  Over the past month or so I have been finding 50-75% off sets easily.  Does this make you hesitant to jump at 25% off sets?  I keep looking at deals on Amazon now and actually thinking that they aren't as great.

When I started investing, I was able to get, 10%, maybe a little more off of sets (most were retired just still on shelf).  Then I moved my way to 20-25% off with a few 50% off sets mixed in.  Over the past month or so I have been finding 50-75% off sets easily.  Does this make you hesitant to jump at 25% off sets?  I keep looking at deals on Amazon now and actually thinking that they aren't as great.

Yes, Yes, Yes! I have become a total discount snob!

Not really, it just depends on where the set is in it's life cycle.  If I have 10 of a set I bought at 50% off or more, I'm less likely to add more of that set as an investment when it's on sale at 25% off or less.  If the set is considered a "Hot" investment, I don't mind paying Retail to 20% off.  Finding sets at 50% off clearance or more does diversify my investment sets, since I might buy some sets at 50% off that I would normally not invest in.  Most of the time, if I find City sets at 50% off or more, I'll be more than happy selling it at MSRP or a little over and just getting a 50% ROI or whatever in the end.

I've spent so much recently that I am starting to ignore 25% deals and hunt down the 30-40% off.  Some great sets just don't get discounted much though and you have to realise that if it was not discounted much EVER then when it goes EOL there will be more people who don't have it and that could make it a winner.

Although 50-75% off deals are terrific, they are also not common.  We have all been finding those lately because Target and Walmart clearance everything out for their big summer reset for back to school.  It is easy to get spoiled on deals like that, but you typically won't find them unless it is July or August, or end of the year when retailers start clearance again.  I still love a good 25% deal when I find one!  :)

Guest TabbyBoy

I think it depends on the set.  there are a lot of sets that I know I can get a good deal on, but other sets that I know the discounts are few and far between (like the Tower Bridge).

Amazon Italy?

These days i wont even touch a set unless its 20% off, be it for myself or for investment. Between LEGO coupons, regular discount like prices on amazon, the occasion good deal on ebay or choosing to buy used sets that are like new, big box store clearance sales multiple times a year, online retailers like yoyou.com which have frequent sales and of coure this website to coordinate it all, it is rediculous to pay full MSRP for lego.

Guest ph4tb0i

No is the answer to that question. I will buy them retail - if it is worth it.

Same here. It really depends on the margins I will have selling it. % discount for me is trivial if I know I can make 100% ROI on something I buy at regular price. 

Guest ph4tb0i

I almost NEVER buy at 30% or under. It's not worth it.  No enough "meat on the bone" to quote American Pickers. It takes too long to appreciate.  The deals are out there.  You just have to be patient.

I could just picture you at a garage sale "Now that I've broken the ice,  it's time to get the money flowing, cuz this will be a GREAT PICK. They've got a lot of stuff they've been holding onto over the years, so I hope I can convince them to give it to Frankie and me for the right price"

...It's kinda like how my brother and I want to flag every classic car down now for poops and giggles after watching Counting Cars. >_>

I could just picture you at a garage sale "Now that I've broken the ice,  it's time to get the money flowing, cuz this will be a GREAT PICK. They've got a lot of stuff they've been holding onto over the years, so I hope I can convince them to give it to Frankie and me for the right price"

I only buy LEGO that looks like Frank.  Unless its a MEGA PICK of LEGO.

Guest ph4tb0i

I only buy LEGO that looks like Frank.  Unless its a MEGA PICK of LEGO.

THE BUNDLER! :D

Don't forget that Rat Nip with that Lego hahaha... 

getting a little off topic here.. lol.

Depends on the set and where it is in the life cycle. I bought some Captain Americas I saw last week with a 10% off and was happy to get a few more. On the same token I passed on the Mirkwood Spiders at 30% off, cause I think I can find that deal later on down the line. Quinjet I passed on at 30% but Uruk-Hai Army I would buy all day long at 30%. So it really is individual. 50% off I will buy just about anything :) I always get 10% at my local Lego Store (thank you Disney Annual Pass!) and add 5% for VIP and the Lego Store is actually a good place for me to shop, especially if they have a good promo. Since they basically stock every set, I can't ever justify paying full retail for anything.

I was just the same when I first started. I find something for 10% and I felt like I was on top of the world. Now that I find more contacts and more deals, 10% to me is just like chump change. It just barely cover the tax rate (9% CA). Ever since I been on Brickpicker I was able to get the clearance and more knowledge on how much should you pay for a set to make decent amount of money. It's amazing how much other people know on here. Also finding people on Craigslist to buy exclusives from isn't too bad either. I was able to get some exclusives for 40 - 50% off. The bottom line is that once you taste the 30%, 50% or even 70%, you're not gonna want to go to 10%. It's just not worth it anymore.

Best I've found were the few 50% off clearance at kmart. Normally best I can find is around 25-30% so that is when I bite. Rarely pay retail for anything unless it's an exclusive. Hardest part is when my son wants something in store.

Yeah I got a few 50% off like 2 years ago when I first started. I believe it's the Alien Conquest and I STILL HAVE IT NOW. It was a bad decision but you live and learn.

Depends on the set and where it is in the life cycle. I bought some Captain Americas I saw last week with a 10% off and was happy to get a few more. On the same token I passed on the Mirkwood Spiders at 30% off, cause I think I can find that deal later on down the line. Quinjet I passed on at 30% but Uruk-Hai Army I would buy all day long at 30%. So it really is individual. 50% off I will buy just about anything :) I always get 10% at my local Lego Store (thank you Disney Annual Pass!) and add 5% for VIP and the Lego Store is actually a good place for me to shop, especially if they have a good promo. Since they basically stock every set, I can't ever justify paying full retail for anything.

I have a Disney Annual Pass and was hoping to see you were outside of CA, so I would know if I can get the same discount when our store opens here...

When I started investing, I was able to get, 10%, maybe a little more off of sets (most were retired just still on shelf). Then I moved my way to 20-25% off with a few 50% off sets mixed in. Over the past month or so I have been finding 50-75% off sets easily. Does this make you hesitant to jump at 25% off sets? I keep looking at deals on Amazon now and actually thinking that they aren't as great.

On an odd day, I can perhaps find something for 30% off with a very slim chance of half off once in a blue moon. Most everything around me stays at retail with a slight possibility of 10%-15% off on a random set maybe. Discounts around me are not the norm but I do try and wait things out just in case I do get lucky either from in store sales (not very likely) or online sales I can pricematch at Target with (majority of my usual deals anymore).

Although I must say I have a new instilled feeling of hope with a recent Walmart haul and a few oddities at Target a few weeks prior.

Depends on what it is. How much it's going for and how long I'm planning on holding onto it. I've certainly bought sets at 30% and found them later at 70% off and returned the ones I bought at 30% off. Ive also bought sets at 30% off and 50% off and kept both.

I trust most of you are making wise purchases, even at 50% off. Remember, there are lot of open slots for duds.

The cheapest HH I've acquired cost $117 and it's beat to hell. I've bought it for $154, $194, and $194 again. I'll probably pay retail again Sept. 1st. There are certain sets I must consider every month, regardless of what I paid the previous month.