Exclusive 4x4 Crawler, set of the year for investors?

If not what is your pick for '2013 Set of the Year' for investing purposes.  There is competition from other sets released this year: Tower of Orthanc, Ewok Villiage, Delorean, etc...but 5yrs from now, which set will you predict to be Top Dog in terms of ROI (cash or %)?   

Just a reminder it has to be a 2013 release set :)  There has been some great sets released last 2-3 years.  Too bad I don't have a list of sets released this year so far.  But yeah, the exclusive Crawler has made it mark already.  5yrs from now I wonder how many will still be in MINT unopened boxes...1,000?   

Silly guess-estimate, I would predict 5,000 sets world wide have been opened and enjoyed already leaving about 15,000 sets unopened.  Maybe 10,000 opened by X-mas and dwindle down slowly afterwards as collectors hold etc.  Hope there's no re-release or anyting similar :)   

I see people, not necessarily here, complaining about the B-Wing only hitting $250 someday blah blah blah.  That's still over 100% ROI and nothing to sneeze at.

To be honest... the only thing i care is how much set increases in value COMPARED to retail...

anything else tells me little... lucky discounts or US only discounts are 0 to me... only comparing to retail is what matters.

To be honest... the only thing i care is how much set increases in value COMPARED to retail...

anything else tells me little... lucky discounts or US only discounts are 0 to me... only comparing to retail is what matters.

Looking at it from an "across the board" standpoint I agree. I know we had a discussion similar to this before, but whether something is considered a "flop" is widely based upon value in comparison to retail price, at least that's the popular perception. But for those who got Atlantis sets for 80% off and then sold them at 30 or 40% below retail, they were able to profit from a "flop" investment.

Guest TabbyBoy

The best investment set is one people never think would be the best investment set...

Yep, thinking outside the box (pardon the pun) is the recipe for success.  There are a few "Dark Horses" that I have my eye on and I'll jump in once they drop to what I'm prepared to pay.  What are they?  Well, that'd be telling, wouldn't it? ;-)  However, they don't contain Ewoks.

Guest TabbyBoy

Too bad there's a buying limit of 2 per customer.

Even though it's not ethical and will get you shot, just get friends to order them for you!

The 4x4 is the investment set of the decade.  It's like handing someone money.  Now maybe long term it will be outperformed, it is one of the best investment sets ever.  Considering all you had to do was purchase 2 of them for $200 a piece, then go and sell it for 400+ 2 weeks later.  You could turn 2 41999's into 4 TB's if that floats your boat.

The 4x4 is the investment set of the decade.  It's like handing someone money.  Now maybe long term it will be outperformed, it is one of the best investment sets ever.  Considering all you had to do was purchase 2 of them for $200 a piece, then go and sell it for 400+ 2 weeks later.  You could turn 2 41999's into 4 TB's if that floats your boat.

Unfortunately, that isn't completely true because of all the damn fees. Sold one for $450 and gonna make about $175 on it.

But yes, selling now isn't bad assuming you immediately reinvest the money in something else that you think will do better.

The best investment set is one people never think would be the best investment set...

Good point. This could be one of the many reasons why PoP, Toy Story, Atlantis, and other "loser" themes are starting to gain momentum, as late as it may be.

OK guys, the CHIMA Speedorz are going to be worth $500 one day!

^nice DNIIM, $175 profit on 1-2week flip is hard to do on single set/transaction.   

What makes it great was this set wasn't even a location specific exclusive like being at a convention or grand opening or lucky draw...people just had to order online or go in person in time.  Hind sight is 20/20 right...this was one set to really start your investment portfolio rolling if you're new at this 'hobby'.  Being a small time investor and newbie this was my highest priced Lego set purchase so far ($249.99 CAN, plus local tax  = $282.48) and I could only afford 2 since I have other purchases planned for Sept and Oct :)     

I told another member I had cold feet the day before release since I could get a lot of clearance sets for $500...but I figured 20,000 world wide seems pretty exclusive and at worse if it doesn't take off I could keep one and return the 2'nd set.  Hate to miss out. 

I'd have to go with the 41999.  A lot of the results in 5 yrs will be based on how long the sets where at retail for.  A set released in 2013 and stays around for 3 years is no just going to only have 2 years to appreciate to meet that 5 yr measure point, but it will also have a high investor supply.

Maybe Orthanc, if it has a short run of a year or so.

Probably something random like a polybag will take it out.

Unfortunately, that isn't completely true because of all the damn fees. Sold one for $450 and gonna make about $175 on it.

But yes, selling now isn't bad assuming you immediately reinvest the money in something else that you think will do better.

Indeed. That sucked selling mine and paying all the damn fees. I cleared about 130 on mine since I gave free ship. Let's go Macks.....please----time for a beta! I have a bunch of things I want to sell for less than bp retail to my friends here... to clear some space.