TRU Sale and What Was Not on Sale

dschooley

I found it interesting that TRU did not offer the B2G1F on Friends, Ninjago, and Technic, but they did offer it on Monster Fighters and Star Wars. Do you think this signifies a shift in the buying patterns of kids today? I know that the last few years the sales almost always excluded the Star Wars sets, and whatever was popular for that year. TRU wants to optimize their profits just like everyone else so I understand that, but why not Star Wars? Are sales declining for Star Wars, is it just a fluke, or possibly just an effort to reduce inventory? What do you think?

I think you answered your own question. Friends and Ninjago are the top sellers. Since kids are the main buyer of LEGO sets, it makes sense that sets geared towards children would be popular. That being said, not all STAR WARS sets were included in this deal. The valuable sets were not. STAR WARS sets are still winners, you just have to pick the right ones to see top results. STAR WARS sets are suffering from a malaise and lack of any new ideas or new movies. There are some very cool sets being released, but without new movies to stimulate interest, some STAR WARS sets will just be average gainers.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Ed. They didn't put Ninjago or Friends on sale because they don't have to. They are selling very well already, without the motivation of a sale. I have mentioned this before, but I am starting to think that the market is becoming far too saturated with Star Wars sets. There are so many to choose from that it is almost overwhelming.