Pick-a-Brick thread

Guest eightbrick

10 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

bit of a pick a brick newbie - why are the sand greens such a big deal?  

1x1 appears in these sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3005&colorID=48&in=A

1x2 plate in these sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3023&colorID=48&in=A

yoda, the haunted house and Statue of Liberty all use them and are somewhat popular or expensive.

1 minute ago, thoroakenfelder said:

1x1 appears in these sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3005&colorID=48&in=A

1x2 plate in these sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3023&colorID=48&in=A

yoda, the haunted house and Statue of Liberty all use them and are somewhat popular or expensive.

nice, thanks.  Currently building the Battle of Helm's Deep so now I understand.  

Sand green in large quantities is pretty rare to come by.

Until now ... Just picked up ~500 of each (1 large cup full). Value of these bricks, and coincidentally of UCS Yoda and Statue of Liberty are likely to drop a bit in the wake of this surge in availability. $173 worth of bricks for $16. That won't last long (unless these run out in the wall very soon)....

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Until now ... Just picked up ~500 of each (1 large cup full). Value of these bricks, and coincidentally of UCS Yoda and Statue of Liberty are likely to drop a bit in the wake of this surge in availability. $173 worth of bricks for $16. That won't last long (unless these run out in the wall very soon)....

I was looking at the Bricklink price guide. It looks like those 1x2 pieces have been going down in value since that Statue of liberty model was released in New York. Instead of $.40 each they're closer to $.10 each.

4 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I was looking at the Bricklink price guide. It looks like those 1x2 pieces have been going down in value since that Statue of liberty model was released in New York. Instead of $.40 each they're closer to $.10 each.

Sure, but at 500 pieces in a small cup (my large cup held 500 of each) that's still $50 worth of bricks..... Won't be long until these are run-of-the-mill $0.02 pieces, unless the supply for the PaB walls is limited to a few boxes per store.

Is it really worth it for someone who doesn't sell on bricklink to buy large cups of these sand green pieces? I was at my local Lego store over the weekend and passed up on both pieces thinking "What am I going to do with these after I buy them?" I don't MOC or sell on bricklink so I didn't get any. Mistake?

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Is it really worth it for someone who doesn't sell on bricklink to buy large cups of these sand green pieces? I was at my local Lego store over the weekend and passed up on both pieces thinking "What am I going to do with these after I buy them?" I don't MOC or sell on bricklink so I didn't get any. Mistake?

I think you assessed your position correctly.

• Like 4

I called the store closest to me about the sand green and they didn't have any clue as to what I was asking about. The guy told me they only have the pieces for the pick a build so I tried the store that is about twice as far away. I got some but they were limiting to a small cup of each so everyone could get some.

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

That's a very reasonable position. without an outlet for the pieces, you'd just be hoarding them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

My front room looks like a monument to hoarding pieces right now. Random pieces scattered across every flat surface and in boxes and bins scattered about.

I'm sitting on 100k loose pieces in ziploc bags and boxes that all need to be uploaded into my store :) Good news is that I've finally finished my software so the upload can begin. BL will never know what hit it :)

23 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm sitting on 100k loose pieces in ziploc bags and boxes that all need to be uploaded into my store :) Good news is that I've finally finished my software so the upload can begin. BL will never know what hit it :)

I need to figure out a way to make an inventory. When you upload, do you use element number or descriptor? How do you codify the color?

1 minute ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I need to figure out a way to make an inventory. When you upload, do you use element number or descriptor? How do you codify the color?

I use BrickStock to prepare my uploads .... my software exports/imports using BSX format - and BrickStock allows me to go straight into BL to upload the inventory from that BSX. So no need to codify anything - however, internally I use a key consisting of (BL Part ID, BL Type ID, Color ID, Condition ID) to differentiate pieces.

Edited by Phil B

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I use BrickStock to prepare my uploads .... my software exports/imports using BSX format - and BrickStock allows me to go straight into BL to upload the inventory from that BSX. So no need to codify anything - however, internally I use a key consisting of (BL Part ID, BL Type ID, Color ID, Condition ID) to differentiate pieces.

All I have is the free version of Brickstock. I don't think I can do most of that stuff right now. I need to figure out how to make it live.

2 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

All I have is the free version of Brickstock. I don't think I can do most of that stuff right now. I need to figure out how to make it live.

I paid the $20 but some of the additional features don't work (i.e. downloading orders etc.). Have tried many versions (Linux, windows etc.). Even went back to BrickStore - those features didn't work there either. Anyways, still worth the $20 - I use the software a lot.

3 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I did the same thing over the weekend (stream of consciousness recap). Huh. lookee here at all of these teeny-tiny sand green pieces. I like sand green. But I dont need piles of teeny sand green pieces all up in my space.  I'll walk over here...

• Like 1