What does your clearance sales look like?

Bargain Busters  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you find retail store discounts?

• Never
    • Once in a long while
    • Sometimes
    • Very well
    • Numerously
    • Almost always
  2. 2. What type of sales do you typically see on average?

• 10% - 15% off or less
    • 20% - 25% off
    • 30% - 35% off
    • 40% - 45% off
    • 50% - 55% off
    • 60% - 65% off
    • 70% - 75% off or more
  3. 3. What is the highest discount you have ever come across?

• 10% - 15% off or less
    • 20% - 25% off
    • 30% - 35% off
    • 40% - 45% off
    • 50% - 55% off
    • 60% - 65% off
    • 70% - 75% off or more

For me, I usually go hunting for clearance deals once a week, and find some sets on clearance and get them, but they aren't that good, say 20%-30% off. Then I see the weekly sale on a particular Lego set every week, but that isn't at a good discount either.

I've seriously scaled back on the amount of stores I visit for lack of clearance/sales. Lego is too popular and sells too well in my demographic to create the need for much clearance. To make up for constantly coming out of the lego aisle empty handed, I've found some other non-toy investment items to search for as well, so the store trips are not as much of a waste. 

I am able to check most of my sources at least once a week since they are all very close and usually on my way home from work. on top of that, I utilize this site and the great info/tips from fellow members to let me know when I may need to check somewhere that I usually don't or haven't in awhile. the current walmart clearance is a prime example. I have been cleaning up on some great super hero and lord of the rings sets lately, thanks to the tips from you guys. today I plan making a 45 mile road trip to hit up some walmarts that are in the middle of nowhere with pretty good confidence that I will find some more deals. without the tips from fellow members there is no way I would drive that far without knowing what I might find.

• Like 1

Some interesting results which pretty much confirms not every store has the same kind of discounts even from big chain retailers who are supposed to be more in sync with each other. I find it intriguing there is an identical count of votes for members finding a max 50% or 70% off. Across the board, it appears to be most people can sometimes find a deal with 20% being typical and a deep 50% to 70% off is the highest seen on a rare occasion.

Some interesting results which pretty much confirms not every store has the same kind of discounts even from big chain retailers who are supposed to be more in sync with each other. I find it intriguing there is an identical count of votes for members finding a max 50% or 70% off. Across the board, it appears to be most people can sometimes find a deal with 20% being typical and a deep 50% to 70% off is the highest seen on a rare occasion.

I'm starting to wonder if there's any possibility that stores like Wal-Mart use some sort of "region-based"  clearancing system. No Wal-Mart in Austin, for example (I visited 5 after hearing of the new clearance) has any Unexpected Gatherings on clearance, yet 2 stores in San Antonio both did. In fact, San Antonio stores were chock full of deals in comparison to Austin stores. I know Emes has said that Walmart uses some sort of complex algorithm to determine what they clearance, but I'm wondering if this algorithm is done region by region instead of store by store.  

I'm starting to wonder if there's any possibility that stores like Wal-Mart use some sort of "region-based"  clearancing system. No Wal-Mart in Austin, for example (I visited 5 after hearing of the new clearance) has any Unexpected Gatherings on clearance, yet 2 stores in San Antonio both did. In fact, San Antonio stores were chock full of deals in comparison to Austin stores. I know Emes has said that Walmart uses some sort of complex algorithm to determine what they clearance, but I'm wondering if this algorithm is done region by region instead of store by store.  

I think it would be done store by store. I visitied three walmarts in one day. Only one of the stores did not have Legos on clearance. The other two did, so I think that it is store based. But who knows, these are just my observations.

I voted for the most popular sale being 30% off, sometimes finding deals, and the steepest discount being ~70% off. I've come across a few recently, noteably the LR Cavalry Builder Set, which I scooped up the last one. I'm guessing someone grabbed at least 20 of them before I did.

I have NEVER come across a discount like 70% off. Never. The most I have come across was about 40%-45% off. 

I voted for the most popular sale being 30% off, sometimes finding deals, and the steepest discount being ~70% off. I've come across a few recently, noteably the LR Cavalry Builder Set, which I scooped up the last one. I'm guessing someone grabbed at least 20 of them before I did.

You found the cavalry builder at 70% off? That's pretty friggin awesome.

I think it's still store by store with stores in the same region being more likely to clearance the same thing.

All walmart and targets had sets 30% off here. Most we're similar - like hulks carrier and batwing (I loaded up on these two), but it wasn't 100% consistent across the board. Also timing made a big difference - for example, Batcave and Quinjet were all at $49 everywhere in May. Now they are at full retail while the Hulks and Batwings and some others are marked down.

PS - I heard rumor of 50% off but most I've seen here was 30%.

I haven't been into Lego for long enough to say it for sure, but for about 6 months I haven't seen anything really exciting.  I see 10-15% off often enough, or even something like 5% off.  But it was a surprise for me that there was no big clearance in my area for July-August, just 25-30% off max.  May be the winter season will be better.

I'm in agreement with JoshTX, 70% off the Lone Ranger Cavalry Builder is pretty radical! :thumbsup:

I'm starting to wonder if there's any possibility that stores like Wal-Mart use some sort of "region-based"  clearancing system. I know Emes has said that Walmart uses some sort of complex algorithm to determine what they clearance, but I'm wondering if this algorithm is done region by region instead of store by store.

The system could be a mix of both region and store based among some other variables they take into account (whatever those are).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It doesn't hurt to ask if there's anything on sale in the back room. Is it a bit scary to do? Sure maybe. But I did that and they had a few things 50% off just sitting back there because they (the people on that shift) didn't know where to put it.

Sounds like a bad (or good) start to a dirty movie!

Anyhow, I am now starting to see these clearance deals, but they are difficult to find with so many people wanting Lego's in my area.

Well, results for the first two questions are somewhat expected but I am surprised to see so many (17 votes) finding a 70% or more as their highest discount. I have read plenty of posts with members finding sets close to that much off but still it is mindboggling so many have even found those sales to begin with.

I'm deal hunting all the time and rarely find 70% for anything significant.  Yea, maybe a polybag, collector's minifigs, or occasional small set, but never anything too significant.  The Kmart clearance is about the best I can do, since it usually approaches 55% - 60% off. 

I do see it says "ever", so I can see that some folks would find a 70% clearanced item now and again.

I've seen a few people on various forums that always end up getting 70% clearance at Target. They buy it at a Target that doesn't have it at 70% off and return / rebuy at one that does. I am always amazed at how the Target stores in their area don't seem to care. My store wouldn't even let me buy / rebuy a clearance item at the same price because I forgot to use my damn Target card.

• 2 months later...

I've scored a few good deals past 70% but they are very few and far between. One store near me had a quintet and tie fighter for $10 each. The Walmart app said they also had a goblin king for $10 but I didn't find it. Typically I find a good amount of stuff at 50% at my walmarts. Very few things make it past 30% at target. I killed it at kmart this fall pending about $800-1000 on things 55% off. I've got my CC ready as well as a wad of cash for this next couple days/weeks. My day job is going to be way busier this year so I want to stock up so I have plenty to sell this year.

• Like 1

I only just recently came across anything close to 70% off at Walmart with their half off all clearance toys sale (local deal) but all those finds were real oddities as in each trip I found something else randomly tossed into the clearance aisle. No rhyme or reason but who am I to complain with finding a Homing Spider Droid for $8.50 and Corporate Alliance Tank Droid for $7 (among other finds). On an even more bizarre encounter, I came across a single Heartlake Stables for half off. :blink:

Point is, you never know whenever you'll come across that one awesome sale making all the deal hunting worthwhile.

You know what Forest Gump always said. ;)