I do not understand the mentality

CNH1974

People get caught up ion the bidding aspect, see it is almost ending and don't bother to research. Always a risk and reward feature of auctions, could earn more, or less.

I have seen people spend almost double retail price for a set at Buy It Now, probably because again they see the item almost ending and impulse buy.

it's crazy and defies logic

If I see something on ebay that I can get elsewhere for less than what sellers there want then I go right past those auctions. If they can sell their stuff at highly inflated prices then more power to them.

As PT Barnum said, there's on born every minute. And the other old axiom; a fool and his money................

I attribute it to this:

1. Person has never seen the set nor is it sold near them.

2. They don't check the price, just decide whether they will buy it or not.

3. Get into a bidding war and make rash decisions.

It is weird. If I list anything a $1 over what its worth, I don't get views. These guys are selling ketchup Popsicle to Ladies in white.

It is weird. If I list anything a $1 over what its worth, I don't get views. These guys are selling ketchup Popsicle to Ladies in white.

No kidding!

Tell me about it. How come my stuff on ebay never gets into a bidding war that escalates into the insane price range?

I attribute it to this:

1. Person has never seen the set nor is it sold near them.

2. They don't check the price, just decide whether they will buy it or not.

3. Get into a bidding war and make rash decisions.

Let's see;

1 - They have not heard of amazon or LEGO Shop at Home

2 - Yes, see one above

3 - Oh yes!!! As sellers we love 'em. As buyers they are a right pain in the wozzit

Well to be honest.... for some people like me it is impossible to buy this set on LEGO.com official shop.... unless I drive for 4 hours because no-one ships to me or they charge shipping heavily.

Thats why people pay above retail.

Yes but my point is that these two were UK bidders, I checked. I could understand it if they were from countries where Lego is scarce but here. No excuse. Do your homework. But I refer to point 3 above.  :shout: and  :punish:

• Like 1

Well to be honest.... for some people like me it is impossible to buy this set on LEGO.com official shop.... unless I drive for 4 hours because no-one ships to me or they charge shipping heavily.

Thats why people pay above retail.

That makes no sense.....because if you buy it off ebay they have to ship it to you anyway....

I can understand if it's a set no longer sold on LEGO Shop at Home or an exclusive TRU/Wal-Mart/Target set. But even then those retailers all have web a presence and if you buy from them then they have to ship to somewhere....

I can even understand if you don't have a CC and just use paypal.....

But still, the set has got to be mailed/shipped to you.

That makes no sense.....because if you buy it off ebay they have to ship it to you anyway....

I can understand if it's a set no longer sold on LEGO Shop at Home or an exclusive TRU/Wal-Mart/Target set. But even then those retailers all have web a presence and if you buy from them then they have to ship to somewhere....

I can even understand if you don't have a CC and just use paypal.....

But still, the set has got to be mailed/shipped to you.

I cannot order from LEGO.com or LEGO.de or LEGO. whatever....

none of LEGOs (when i last checked) had my Country (Slovenia) as option .....

That's assuming the people actually bought that bought the item and followed through. Ive had many items listed as 'buy it now' only for the buyer to pay immediatly and then email me 2 mins later asking for a refund! (because they read the description wrong or their 9 year old kid 'hacked' their paypal' account).

I am thinking some people just like to buy it now and change their mind, hoping to scam the seller if the seller refuses to refund, even though seller has the right to keep the money and send the item. On the flip side, if you send the unwanted item, the buyer leaves negative feedback and what not, not worth the hassle. Or the buyers are very impulsive :P