I value members opinions and you guys always have good advice so here is the 400 dollar question........should I go with A) the SSD B) republic dropship with AT OT or C) 2 haunted houses?? You know my rules.....I can only buy one at the moment so D)all of the above is unfortunately not an option. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I value members opinions and you guys always have good advice so here is the 400 dollar question........should I go with A) the SSD B) republic dropship with AT OT or C) 2 haunted houses?? You know my rules.....I can only buy one at the moment so D)all of the above is unfortunately not an option. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

As much as I love both of those Star Wars sets I voted for 2 haunted houses

I would vote for 4 Medieval Villages.

Thanks for that vote but in this early stage of my investing career, I only buy sets that interest me. The MV does not interest me in the slightest! Maybe at some point I will be able to look past the fact that some sets do not appeal to me and see their investment potential.

Thanks for that vote but in this early stage of my investing career, I only buy sets that interest me. The MV does not interest me in the slightest! Maybe at some point I will be able to look past the fact that some sets do not appeal to me and see their investment potential.

Buy what you love and you can't go wrong. You might not make any money, but at least you can build it. ;-)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My response is going to sound a lot like Jeff's. I would personally buy something that is closer to retirement so the money isn't tied up as long. I am itching and chomping at the bit to get my hands on a haunted house or two...or three lol, but they just came out, so why tie up your funding in them?

My response is going to sound a lot like Jeff's. I would personally buy something that is closer to retirement so the money isn't tied up as long. I am itching and chomping at the bit to get my hands on a haunted house or two...or three lol, but they just came out, so why tie up your funding in them?

when I first started out I was 6 months ago I was scooping up all these sets that I liked in the star wars line, jab as palace, r2d2 stuff like that, so I have a lot of sets that I will be sitting on for a while before they EOL. Now that I am more aware of what's going on I try to get sets that are soon to EOL. I wish I had the disposable income that would allow me to get a lot of those 4,5,6 year old sets that I love, they are just too expensive. I even considered taking out a loan to get those older sets I wanted......which most of the member s thought was a bad idea. Looking back to when asking that question I realize that that is not a good idea at all!

Your story is probably more like the rest of us than you think. I did the same thing. I got into this when I sold a large format printer that I owned for $3,000. I suddenly had all this money to dedicate to the LEGO cause, and I went out and bought whatever I wanted and thought was cool. I bought Avengers sets that were only 2 months old. It only occurred to me fairly recently that I made a mistake by buying brand new things. So I think you are right on track. We all learn lessons. They are usually hard lessons in the beginning, but then we get good at this. So hang in there. Think of where you will be in a couple more years. :)

If I had $400, it'd probably just go towards paying off some bills or invest in a new computer. (More than likely the first one.)

I'd rather save up for the 2013 Pirates line.

Huh...never heard anything about any new Pirates sets coming next year. That'll be interesting if it's true. Always loved those Pirates!

Ditto for two haunted houses.

Though seriously, I'd rather save up for the 2013 Pirates line.

New pirates theme next year?? Don't tease me, I'm a HUGE pirates fan, however as much as I'd love to see a new pirates line I wonder if it would hurt my investments of POTC ships? Or maybe it'd help as people could combine a Queen Anne's or a Black Pearl with the new pirate line and build one amazing pirates MOC!

• 1 year later...

I have never bought anything from the LEGO store. I only buy sets from retail stores at a least 50% off RRP. Surprisingly they are often new sets and it has taken me a while to see them appreciate after I sold them at ~80% RRP.

If I'm to take the plunge and put money into sets closer to RRP what would people recommend?

I'm based in the UK, if that matters...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

you want to go for exclusives, set likes the camper or the large Star wars sets, anything else will be well discounted at some point. John Lewis and Smyths toys, along with toyrus do get hold of exclusives but you rarely see them do any major sales with these sets and when they do they get sold out fast. You can get good deals online, don't have to go to the shops all the time. Also, buying some sets at a discount can be a false economy, don't go buying crap.

• Like 1

you want to go for exclusives, set likes the camper or the large Star wars sets, anything else will be well discounted at some point. John Lewis and Smyths toys, along with toyrus do get hold of exclusives but you rarely see them do any major sales with these sets and when they do they get sold out fast. You can get good deals online, don't have to go to the shops all the time. Also, buying some sets at a discount can be a false economy, don't go buying crap.

I do all my online shopping at Amazon, John Lewis and Smyths Toys, you are right in that the best discounts are well before eol, you can get good discounts shortly before eol but it's down to luck most of the time and if you want large numbers of a set you may find what ou can purchase to be limited. I've been investing a little over a year now and I'm trying to be more savy as to buying close to eol. Some sets though appeal so much that it's difficult not to start stockpiling as soon as you see 30-40$ discounts.

ps Argos and Debenhams and toysrus do not pack their goods to well, avoid the 1st 2 like the plague.

This thread is almost 2 years old.......it always funny to look back and see how much I didn't know then. I am a bit more seasoned these days.

It's also funny looking back at how we used to talk or type in the day. I was rather energetic and seemed to be bouncing off the walls. Haha. I also talked a bit 'simpler' then whereas now I use a whole lot of big words that make me sound smarter than I actually am. :lol: