Favorite August 1st Underdog?

So now that all of the hoopla over the Crawlers and BTTF DeLoreans is finally starting to die down, this question can finally be asked. What other set released on August 1st do you think will be a real winner someday? Which set are you dying to have for your own collection?

I think the 75021 Republic Gunship will be a winner after it retires. (I bought it the other day at a Target and opened it for my collection. It is super cool.) The previous two gunships have done very well on the secondary market. The 7163 Republic Gunship goes for around $225.00 new and its retail price was $89.99. (It was released in 2002.) The 7676 Republic Attack Gunship is fetching $317.56 new and retailed for $119.99. That's a CAGR of 21.49%! (It was released in 2008.)

• Like 1

I think the 75021 Republic Gunship will be a winner after it retires. (I bought it the other day at a Target and opened it for my collection. It is super cool.) The previous two gunships have done very well on the secondary market. The 7163 Republic Gunship goes for around $225.00 new and its retail price was $89.99. (It was released in 2002.) The 7676 Republic Attack Gunship is fetching $317.56 new and retailed for $119.99. That's a CAGR of 21.49%! (It was released in 2008.)

Hmmm, I'm a little cautious when it come to remakes. Especially something like the gunship which has been done more than once before. However, I am going to keep my eye on that one.

The duel on genosis. Extremely unique and incredibly well done set. I think it will be somewhat passed over and be a sleeper. It's a pure winner. Insane play ability and display-ability

Yes the box for that one looks awesome! However, I was watching/reading some reviews for it about a month ago and people have mixed feelings about it.

I just thought it was a funny set, who set a recycling can on fire?

I think real firefighters actually set empty steel barrels on fire for practice and drills. I would guess sometimes it includes something like a recycling canister? It is an amusing set. I mean, let's teach the kids to set trash cans on FIRE! Hey, Beavis does it! :lol:

The Republic Gunship could be the "Prequel Trilogy AT-AT" in terms of investment potential : no matter how many times it's re-released, people are still excited about buying the latest version of an iconic vehicle. 8129 was a rehash of the original 4483 AT-AT, and the 10179 Motorized AT-AT debuted only three years before 8129.  Despite that, 8129 is worth over two times MSRP after less than two years of retirement.  

7163 and 7676 are still quite valuable in MISB condition; I would imagine that 7676, which combines design improvements with AFOL-friendly minifigures, will continue the trend.  I'm jumping on the latest Republic Gunship at $90 and below--seriously, I want to own Emazers-grade quantities of this set.  Win or go down with the ship, baby!   :money:

Yes the box for that one looks awesome! However, I was watching/reading some reviews for it about a month ago and people have mixed feelings about it.

Really? Well I am planning on buying it pretty soon so I'll make sure I post a review about it after.

The Republic Gunship could be the "Prequel Trilogy AT-AT" in terms of investment potential : no matter how many times it's re-released, people are still excited about buying the latest version of an iconic vehicle. 8129 was a rehash of the original 4483 AT-AT, and the 10179 Motorized AT-AT debuted only three years before 8129.  Despite that, 8129 is worth over two times MSRP after less than two years of retirement.  

7163 and 7676 are still quite valuable in MISB condition; I would imagine that 7676, which combines design improvements with AFOL-friendly minifigures, will continue the trend.  I'm jumping on the latest Republic Gunship at $90 and below--seriously, I want to own Emazers-grade quantities of this set.  Win or go down with the ship, baby!   :money:

In a few of my blogs I did research on remakes and it seemed like the remakes actually did better in some cases. Didn't seem to have near as much affect on the newer sets value. It was just more important that they were desirable.

i think the new Architecture studio set will be a winner - the set is a great value, coming with a bunch of nice pieces, as well as a 272 page hard cover book. - people may not buy it because of the pieces, but the book is the main reason i want it.

The book isn't hardcover though...

i think the new Architecture studio set will be a winner - the set is a great value, coming with a bunch of nice pieces, as well as a 272 page hard cover book. - people may not buy it because of the pieces, but the book is the main reason i want it.

I agree, I now think that the architecture set will be one of the best performers out of this group of newly released sets. After being exposed to it at te B&****** event, I can see the appeal. I know I want one!

After seeing it at Toys R Us, this was my thought exactly...it really stands out, hope we see some aggressive discounting at some point.

Guest eightbrick

Chima is the most expensive comprehensive marketing campaign LEGO has ever done.  With the new shows coming out I can't see this NOT gaining steam and therefore my under dogs are the lion and croc lairs. 

True love cannot be forced... by an multi-million dollar advertising campaign.

For the underdogs, my money is on the coast guard patrol boat, plane, and possibly the helicopter, and some Creator and sets. Coast Guard showed great growth on the previous versions of the patrol boat ad helicopter, and the coast guard plane is the only non-remake in this year's coast guard release (now if only they would remake that platform...) . The 4x4 might do okay, but its high MSRP (double the previous version!) is a bit of a turn-away. As for creator, I am looking at the new house, which is the first modern interpretation for the housing subtheme, which has posted stable returns.