General storage questions

lotsoflego

Thanks for the suggestion on acclimating them. I had not really though of that. I do not know if there is any merit in it, but I am paranoid enough that I will probably do it.

I think it would depend on the time of year... Low or normal humidity, no worries. If it's high humidity, I think it would depend on how you package them up. I've received a few packages that were double bubble wrapped and then double taped. If the lego boxes had been in a humid environment before being packed like that they'd have probably felt a little mushy by the time I got them (crossing the border can hold up packages for unreasonable delays).

Your math is off.

A 7x10 is 700sqft at $.29/sqft where two 5x5 spaces is only 500sqft (250+250) at $.36/sqft. The 7x10 is a better deal.

Doh, yeah, good point. You got me. :)

Anyways, these suggestions are all very helpful! I think I am going to skip the bagging, and try the boxes. I actually see some decent deals from staples.com on similar size boxes to the uline ones. They have free store pickup. The boxes are like 1.50 compared to uline's 1.30, but without shipping that is very  nice. I'll just have to go figure out what boxes I need.

I think I'll use the above suggestion to use acid free paper in between boxes (some smaller boxes I might pack together for storage). I have a scrapbooking hobby that hasn't taken off too much... lots of acid free paper there (my legos will be very well dressed in their storage boxes in fancy paper!).

I'm not too worried about rats, as someone else said, I have lots of stuff in my garage I suspect they would rather eat than legos. Bugs may be an issue though. I don't think it'd be a good idea to full tape up the boxes, because I'll want to check on them before I ship them. In fact, I think setting a calendar reminder to check on them in boxes every month or two would probably be smart (more often when the weather is extreme).

I may try to keep the pricier sets inside as well. Maybe I'll start out with some of the smaller sets in the garage... see how they do through June/July which is probably as hot as it'll get, and then move more if they seem to do ok.

Great ideas here!

This isn't the first time someone's floated this idea on this forum.  My initial reaction was "Are you crazy?", but on further review this isn't really that bad of an idea.  Is it ideal?  Probably not.  But consider these sets sit in warehouses for months at a time before they finally end up on retail store shelves, and those locations are not temperature controlled.  I'd also question just how hot the typical garage gets.  Even if the outside temp gets to 100+ degrees, does it really approach anything like that in an enclosed garage?  I'm sure it gets uncomfortable, but doubt it gets so hot the boxes are in any danger let alone their contents.  A garage is certainly a more viable alternative than an attic in any event, for those looking to utilize every square millimeter of free space in their homes.

Storing your Lego sets offsite introduces a whole host of other issues so if space could be a potential problem you absolutely need to come up with a plan of action prior to initiating your investment.  The last thing you want is for the sets to start piling up helter skelter which will lead to damaged boxes, lost items, pissed off cohabitants and, worst of all, and out of control investment which will potentially lose money just from the disorder.

A lot depends on how long you are planning on storing them.  I live in the land of heat and humidity (i.e., the South) and have stored Lego in my garage for years.  I have never had any problem with the heat or humidity damaging the boxes.

Time for some weekend organizing. This is one of our closets! We have another stuffed like this...and a small one with just 2 haunted houses. Problem is we have another 12 large sets coming next week. Going to put up some shelves and organize this weekend. Some action shots too after a day of legoing with a 4 year old all day. What a mess. Those repurposed cardboard boxes all have new sets stuffed in as well.

zmmn.jpg

2ntp.jpg

w725.jpg

bjnt.jpg

o54p.jpg

lwyz.jpg

Anyone in sunny So Cal that is storing their sets in the garage and have survived the heat in the past summers?

I've had a few large sets stored in my socal garage for a couple of years and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them.  They have been in a black plastic trash bag up in the rafters (on flat surface).  These canaries seem to have survived the coal mine so I'm putting more sets up there without worrying about them too much.  Even if they do suffer a small amount of damage over time I'm not worrying about it too much.  I like boxes that are in good shape, but we are not dealing with paintings or even baseball cards here: the box isn't what these sets are bought for.

• 1 month later...

Can someone please specifically recommend shelving units they are using? With a link? We have a small spare bedroom and 3 large closets packed...and I mean packed full. We are now using under beds, above cabinets, inside kitchen cabinets we don't use. We need to organize a bit better. If someone can post pics of their storage units in action...even better.

I am literally floor to ceiling, alternating horizontal and vertical...double boxed. Lego box, inside another box I mean. I am thinking to take all my lego boxes out of their shipped in box, an stack them on shelves neatly. Some of the as shipped boxes are only 60% lego and 40% free space/air bags.

Thanks for the help!

Can't really help as I am a small time investor so storage is not an issue but taking the sets out of the delivery boxes would save space.  Sets would be more vulnerable to damage but if it's neatly stacked in a dedicated room it should be fine.  I keep all my delivery boxes/air bags/paper in the basement/furnace room in case I need it for shipping later.  

I think there's a blog or article about shelving and inventory space if I remember correctly.  Anyways, hopefully by the holiday season you can flip some/most of your inventory if you need more space and sets hit secondary prices you want.     

What type of boxes is best for storage for the big sets you all use?  I have a difficult time finding something that fits the big sets.

For me, I just find a really big cardboard box that would fit some of my bigger boxes, but the box has to be really big for it to fit some of those larger ones.

What type of boxes is best for storage for the big sets you all use?  I have a difficult time finding something that fits the big sets.

Big boxes from YoYo.com, if you ordered larger sets from there.

Here are some other threads related to storage:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/4878-storage/?hl=storage

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/4878-storage/?hl=storage

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/3717-garage-storage/?hl=storage

Guest eightbrick

The boxes Lego ships the sets in are a good bet for sure. Flat rate shipping boxes are decent choice as well, then they are ready for shipping. I must admit I am no expert at this subject, so I will direct you to this excellent article by another Brickpicker (the ever-wise Mos Eisley): http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-13-lego-storage-wars/

I ordered boxes from Uline.com for my big sets. I went with 24x18x4, it will fit sets like the Dino HQ, Black Pearl, Millenium Falcon pretty well. If you take the time to put filler material in there initially, they're ready to ship once the time comes.

If anyone is interested the product # is S-4827.

I believe I paid about $40 for 20-25 boxes, which seems like a lot, but it only adds $2.00 per set and saves me the hassle of finding somehting that might work. With the profits you should be making on these larger sets $2.00 shouldn't break the bank.

I ordered boxes from Uline.com for my big sets. I went with 24x18x4, it will fit sets like the Dino HQ, Black Pearl, Millenium Falcon pretty well. If you take the time to put filler material in there initially, they're ready to ship once the time comes.

If anyone is interested the product # is S-4827.

I believe I paid about $40 for 20-25 boxes, which seems like a lot, but it only adds $2.00 per set and saves me the hassle of finding somehting that might work. With the profits you should be making on these larger sets $2.00 shouldn't break the bank.

I agree. I would spend some extra money to store the sets properly and keep them it good condition.

My strategy is keep around 100-200 set for inventory and sell all extras....ok...got 50 on sale - sell 50 for profit (50in...50out, like stocks, buy cheap sell high)....and buy bigger house with extra room just for LEGO, lol I mean use master bedroom for lego and sleep in guest room.....I know that wife will going to kill ya...lol.

BTW keep it organazed, if its not looks ugly you can live with it better....

post-6007-0-31384400-1375479744.jpg

• Like 1