Everyone Has a Story to Tell. Here's Mine.

Hello everyone!  I've been lurking around here for some months now, gaining huge amounts of information while getting my brickfolio off of the ground.  I thought it was only fair that I show up and introduce myself.

For the record, my name is Steven.  I just thought Stuntman Mike was a cool character from "Death Proof."

How did I end up here?  It was a culmination of three things, or more importantly, three sets:

1)  497 - Galaxy Explorer:  I was nine or ten when the Classic Space theme first rolled out.  I had the old Coast Guard Station (575) but Space was the first time I'd seen minifigures with movable arms and legs!  I had the Space Shuttle (442), Mobile Rocket Launcher (462), and the Alpha 1 Rocket Base (483).  I played the crap out of those things.  So much fun.  But I always remember wanting the Galaxy Explorer.  That box was so big!  That ship was so awesome!  That ship was over $30?!?  (Keep in mind that this was over 30 years ago and $30 was a chunk of change!  Plus, my family didn't have a lot of money, so $30 may have just as well been $1 million.  I wasn't getting that one.  Not a chance.)  I still remember trips to K-Mart with my parents and spending the whole time in the toy department's Lego section.  I could look at the small sets and think there may be a chance of me getting one or more for Christmas or something.  But even though Galaxy Explorer was always on the bottom shelf, it was always out of reach . . .

2) 7468 - Discovery Kids Saturn V Moon Mission:  I remember seeing this one years ago when it was on the shelves.  Since I am of that age demographic, I liked this one too.  Even before I had the Lego sets mentioned above, my bedroom walls were plastered with NASA posters from the Apollo missions.  (Funny how I later became a mechanical engineer and now work in aerospace, eh?)  I was at a coworker's house who happens to be a friend of mine too.  He's got a five year old son and in addition to all of his Star Wars toys, race cars, iPad app's, etc., they also show him videos like "From Earth to the Moon", "When We Left Earth", and "In the Shadow of the Moon".  I think to myself, "Hey, that Apollo Lego set was only $20 or so.  It would be pretty cool if I got that set for Owen.  It's probably not on shelves anymore, so I'll go get one off of ebay."  Then I go on ebay and see that they're selling NIB for over $150?!?  Holy crap!!!  Owen didn't get that Lego set.  But gears were turning in my head . . .

3)  21101 - CUUSOO Hayabusa:  So a few weeks after my experience with #2 above, I'm telling that story to a few other co-workers one day during lunch.  Unbeknownst to me, one of my lunch buddies that day had some fairly recent Lego sets.  He says to me, "Did you know that Lego came out with some sort of limited run Hayabusa set?  I just got one at the Lego store at Downtown Disney."  Here's the deal:  The company where I currently work supplied hardware for Hayabusa.  In fact, we're also supplying the same hardware for Hayabusa 2 and I was even helping out with it a little bit a few months ago.  (You know the part on the back of the spacecraft where the four 1X1 round plates are surrounded by the two 1X4 flat plates and two 1X2 flat plates?  The rounds are supposed to be the ion engines and the flats are the frame where they mount.  We make the pan/tilt assembly that moves the engine frame, which vectors the ion engine thrust and "steers" the spacecraft.  We also make the rotary motor drives that point the solar panels.)  All of a sudden I thought to myself, "Limited edition Hayabusa Lego set is currently available?  And that Apollo set is worth how much now?  And remember how much you wanted that Galaxy Explorer?  I wonder if there is such a thing as Lego investing?"

So I got home that night after #3 above and Googled, "Lego Investing".  Brickpicker.com was one of the first (if not THE first) hit in the search results.  I clicked in and my jaw dropped.  There are sets that have annual ROI's that beat my mutual funds?  Someone is monitoring the appreciation of all of these sets that closely? Look at all of these Lego themes!!!  I was shot out of the dark ages like a cannon . . .

Next thing you know, I've dropped $2000 on Legos in my first two months of brickfolio building.  May 4th B-Wing bonanza.  Ordering two Jabba's Palaces from amazon on the day of the "protest" without even knowing what had just happened.  The high of finding Vampire Castles on clearance at WalMart to the low of buying a Helm's Deep for full price at Target just because I had "Brick Fever" and had to buy SOMETHING. I have no children of my own, but now my co-workers know of my "hobby" and ask me what good prices are for Lego sets and where to get them for their kids.  Other friends who I haven't seen in a long time who have two daughters are floored when I ask their girls if they have any Friends sets, which they do, and I seamlessly ask them whether they like the city pool or the veterinary clinic better.  ("Uncle 'teve" got major cool points that day.)  I am amazed how everyone you meet in some way, shape, or form, is tied to Lego somehow.

And would you believe that I still don't have a 21101, a 7468, or a 497?  Maybe someday.  I should probably score a used 7468 for Owen too.

Thank you for reading; and I'll see you in the Lego aisles!

Steven

• Like 5

well welcome from one new member to another!

Oh the 497....I want that one.  Even though it was a little before my time, it is just such an iconic set and someday one will be in my collection.

Also really cool on getting to contribute to the Hayabusa.  Space is just so captivating and awe inspiring, you should be really proud of what you do.

Welcome!

Galaxy Explorer was one the first set I bought when I came back to bricks, one year ago or so.

I too wanted it so badly when I was a kid... Now I have two (just 1 complete, beware the antenna !).

How strange some our adult behaviors/craziness may be dictated by some childhood deprivation (Lego is just an example in my case).

Good luck for your hunting space sets !

I wonder if there is such a thing as Lego investing?"

So I got home that night after #3 above and Googled, "Lego Investing".  Brickpicker.com was one of the first (if not THE first) hit in the search results.  I clicked in and my jaw dropped.  There are sets that have annual ROI's that beat my mutual funds?  Someone is monitoring the appreciation of all of these sets that closely? Look at all of these Lego themes!!!  I was shot out of the dark ages like a cannon . . .

What a great introduction post.  Welcome to the site.  I have received a few emails from people that were shocked to find this much information on Lego pricing. I am glad you were able to find the site.

First of all, let me express a sincere "Thank you" to all of you who liked what I wrote and took the time to reply.  You've gotta love the internet's ability to bring cool people together from everywhere.  Having said that, let me apologize for not replying sooner.  Brickpicker.com is firewalled at my work, or maybe they've only firewalled it on my computer, and I was at a business meeting this evening.  I've only just now been able to log back on.  There were a couple of statements to which I wanted to comment specifically.  They are noted below.

well welcome from one new member to another!

Oh the 497....I want that one.  Even though it was a little before my time, it is just such an iconic set and someday one will be in my collection.

Also really cool on getting to contribute to the Hayabusa.  Space is just so captivating and awe inspiring, you should be really proud of what you do.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my current profession.  Aerospace is a really stressful business.  The quality and robustness of the finished products are CRITICAL; pressure to ship and meet schedule is great; and successfully interfacing with suppliers, coworkers, and customers can be harder than building the hardware we supply!  Since we don't work on the spacecraft itself, but only supply major components, we don't get to see the finished product.  It goes in a box, out the back door, and on a truck just like anything that you all may make in your professions.  That's what's so great about something like 21101 Hayabusa: It's a reminder of where what I just put in a box is going to go and what it will do.  Reminds me how fortunate I am that I was able to follow my childhood dream, even if I'm not flying the spaceship.  :yes:

Welcome!

Galaxy Explorer was one the first set I bought when I came back to bricks, one year ago or so.

I too wanted it so badly when I was a kid... Now I have two (just 1 complete, beware the antenna !).

How strange some our adult behaviors/craziness may be dictated by some childhood deprivation (Lego is just an example in my case).

Good luck for your hunting space sets !

497 Galaxy Explorer- what red blooded LEGO collector does NOT want that set! :thumbsup:

Welcome!

Guys, even during the years when Legos were about the furthest thing from my mind, every once in a while I would think about when I was younger and for some reason one of the things I would think about was Galaxy Explorer even though I never had it.  Thank you for the advance warning on the antenna, too!  I could see how that piece wouldn't hold up over the years.

Welcome Mike/Steve. Can't wait to give you an e-high five when that stagecoach retires...

Dude, that high five can't come quite just yet.  After making this initial post, I saw another post about how 21101 Hayabusa was going to go EOL if it hadn't already, so I went over to LEGO Shop at Home and ordered three of those instead.  But thanks to you, there WILL be LR stagecoaches in my brickfolio.  When it does retire, we'll have to find out a way to have internet wings '******' beer to celebrate!  :drinks:

Hey nice story and welcome :)
2000 bucks for a first series of investement seems a lot to me. Good luck in getting your dreamed sets!

Yeah, I got a little crazy during those first two months.  I've throttled back considerable since then, not only because of the cash I was spending but also because storage got to be a problem in a hurry.  I haven't quit completely, though.  Everything in moderation, right?

Okay, folks.  I'm off to bed.  Work tomorrow and then another set of Thursday Target runs after work!  And thank you again for the warm welcome.  It's most appreciated!

Dude, that high five can't come quite just yet.  After making this initial post, I saw another post about how 21101 Hayabusa was going to go EOL if it hadn't already, so I went over to S@H and ordered three of those instead.  But thanks to you, there WILL be LR stagecoaches in my brickfolio.  When it does retire, we'll have to find out a way to have internet wings 'n' beer to celebrate!  :drinks:

You've got time on the stagecoach, not so much on the Hayabusa.  Good decision...

Thank you for the kind words regarding my current profession.  Aerospace is a really stressful business.  The quality and robustness of the finished products are CRITICAL; pressure to ship and meet schedule is great; and successfully interfacing with suppliers, coworkers, and customers can be harder than building the hardware we supply!  Since we don't work on the spacecraft itself, but only supply major components, we don't get to see the finished product.  It goes in a box, out the back door, and on a truck just like anything that you all may make in your professions.  That's what's so great about something like 21101 Hayabusa: It's a reminder of where what I just put in a box is going to go and what it will do.  Reminds me how fortunate I am that I was able to follow my childhood dream, even if I'm not flying the spaceship.  :yes:

Couldn't have put it better myself.  Just remember behind every test pilot, astronaut, amazing aircraft or groundbreaking mission is a giant team of people working behind the scenes to make it happen.  Way Cool!