Investing in stocks - do you invest and what in?

sadowsk1

I invest in the canadian stock market, but stuff like telecoms (BCE, Telus) and different riets. There are a few more but can't think of their names off the top of my head.

I've actualy been looking into buying a few US stocks. Target (now that they are expanding into Canada, I think they will do well), Starbucks (who doesn't go there), J&J (lots of necessities) and Disney (lots of movies coming out, plus Star Wars in 2015, which I think will be a huge boost to their value - there are a LOT of Star Wars fans, and new ones too).

We are all mutual funds.  I'm a pretty low risk guy when it comes to investing.  I'll take my (pretty much) guaranteed 8-10% each year over hoping to jump on the next big thing and finding out I invested in Facebook :sick:

The wife and I also have retirement funds through work that pays well also, I enjoy free money.  I currently put in 5.5% and the U matches 8%.  Lego is a small item on the investment tree for me.

Here is a list of the stocks I would invest in. They have been doing good this year:

AXP

CLX

HD

DIS
ANF

AEP

AVY

ASH
TGT

WMT

AMZN

NFLX

These are my stocks that i would investin, but I do not have that much money to invest in stocks. Investing in Legos is a great second option!

Data center REIT.  Interesting.  Any with a higher div yield that you like?

Most of the divys stay around the 3-4% mark.    COR...DLR (the biggest data center reit)...DFT    Eqix is trying to convert to a reit but they are getting push back from the IRS. (they must be tea partiers)

I like CONE b/c I know the most about them.  I also think their divy will increase with their price.   I like to buy and hold so I am gambling that the divy and price will both increase and with my buy in being $19ish so my divy is like 3.5ish% at the moment.  I'll feel better when it's 5 or 6.  I've only had it for about 6 weeks so so far so good....

That's just my two cents.  If you see any red flags, let me know, lego investing is a lot easier than picking stocks :)

I appreciate all the advice.  I think I'm going to go with mostly 2/3 domestic etf's and 1/3 foreign since that 1/3 is buying up the US.  I'm focusing on broad funds that mimic index leaders but not the entire indexes that have solid dividend yields.  Long term buy and hold.

I just bought POT......

POT & MOS are down over 21% this morning.

Apparently there is a fertilizer cartel similar to OPEC and one of the Russian companies threatened to pull out of their agreements in order to increase their market share.  In doing so it will drive down the price of fertilizer.  I read that it would be similar to Saudi Arabia pulling out of OPEC.  I just have a gut feeling that they really wouldn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be an options trader, but that strategy is too time consuming and too much risk.  Options are great as a hedging strategy for individual stocks, though.  Right now, after 20 years of investing, I am putting most of my money into index funds and small cap mutual funds.  I recently sold my shares of GE which I purchased for $6.00.  They were at 23.00 when I sold them.  I also sold my Home Depot for a 100% profit.  I am not sure what individual stocks I would purchase right now, if I had to.  The new health care laws coming into effect next year scare me a lot.  So, for now, I am putting 100% of my retirement savings into index funds and my other savings into various other mutual funds.  

I bought Apple back when it had went way down to 450. It then went to 480, then to 390, then to 450, then to 390, then slowly got back up to 470.  I sold - I was done with it - company makes billons and billons of dollars and the stock is all over the place.

The stock market literally makes no sense. Anyone who says they understand, just thinks they do.

I'm under the impression that stocks are currently being artificially inflated by the low interest rates and the inflows from quantitative easing.  I suspect a crash is on the way and will invest in large caps after the next dip.  I too profited from 2008 with investments in GE and Alcoa.  Wish i had bought more at the time with a purchase of Ford.  I do not have any positions in the stock market right now.