permission for posting to locked threads? is this a new rule?

I do not know but maybe there is some kind of 'cutoff date' for really old threads to keep them from being revived now. I mean, that one was from July 2012! Plus the deal isn't around anymore. I'm not seeing anything like a Lock emblem on it so other than what I said, I have no real idea.

I do not know but maybe there is some kind of 'cutoff date' for really old threads to keep them from being revived now. I mean, that one was from July 2012! Plus the deal isn't around anymore. I'm not seeing anything like a Lock emblem on it so other than what I said, I have no real idea.

This could be - I know after a certain amount of time you can't edit comments, etc. as well.

many old threads are helpful / informative and contain in search results.  if we encourage people to use the search tool but have read-only threads get returned, it hinders the conversation if newer info can be added to older threads.

i view older threads like wikipedia articles.  when updated or very similar information surfaces, why indirectly promote the creation of new threads when this information can be appended to older threads to keep the rich historic information in one place about that topic?

many old threads are helpful / informative and contain in search results.  if we encourage people to use the search tool but have read-only threads get returned, it hinders the conversation if newer info can be added to older threads.

i view older threads like wikipedia articles.  when updated or very similar information surfaces, why indirectly promote the creation of new threads when this information can be appended to older threads to keep the rich historic information in one place about that topic?

I sensed that you took my comment on award as a negative response to your original post.  It was not. That was a half way decent attempt to comedy with some callback to older posts.  The awards were not meant to be taken too seriously anyway.  Morever, if you really feel there is a huge benefit in replying to older posts, you probably should wear that "Thread Digger" badge proudly. 

In all seriousness, I respectfully ask you to think carefully before reviving a topic titled "Hogwarts Castle (4842) $112 Free Shipping" in July 2013.  Some people have weak hearts and may get too excited by looking that title alone.

can someone talk with jeff and ed about other threads?  we have a valuable archive of history from years past.

What other threads are you running into this issue with? This is a setting that I need to find. No threads should be locked unless it needs to be locked.

Now that I've had a chance to remember, I am thinking some of this was my fault. The short of it, a lot of old topics before the forum conversion were closed or locked instead of being deleted. The deal or deals they were referencing were long since past and there was no reason to keep them around and open for further debate. I think in a way those previously locked threads are in a way still locked but the new format is simply not showing that.

The only topics I had locked before the 'Great Conversion' were ones for old deals under the main Buying & Selling category, and I think that eBay listing for Hogwarts Castle was just one of them. I can't remember all the ones I had closed prior but I do remember they were outdated listings for items no longer available.

Now that I've had a chance to remember, I am thinking some of this was my fault. The short of it, a lot of old topics before the forum conversion were closed or locked instead of being deleted. The deal or deals they were referencing were long since past and there was no reason to keep them around and open for further debate. I think in a way those previously locked threads are in a way still locked but the new format is simply not showing that.The only topics I had locked before the 'Great Conversion' were ones for old deals under the main Buying & Selling category, and I think that eBay listing for Hogwarts Castle was just one of them. I can't remember all the ones I had closed prior but I do remember they were outdated listings for items no longer available.

That would explain why I couldn't find other posts that were locked.

Now that I've had a chance to remember, I am thinking some of this was my fault. The short of it, a lot of old topics before the forum conversion were closed or locked instead of being deleted. The deal or deals they were referencing were long since past and there was no reason to keep them around and open for further debate. I think in a way those previously locked threads are in a way still locked but the new format is simply not showing that.

The only topics I had locked before the 'Great Conversion' were ones for old deals under the main Buying & Selling category, and I think that eBay listing for Hogwarts Castle was just one of them. I can't remember all the ones I had closed prior but I do remember they were outdated listings for items no longer available.

Let's hang the Orc! xD!

I forgot to add that my post should've been read out loud with Aragorn's voice

At least you didn't do the Queen of Hearts line.

"OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!" :sarcastichand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobuu-IexvI

Not sure if that is needed as he"s already been Forged and is retiring soon. ha

Ha. You really can't get any more perfect than that! :haha: