Almost hit the jackpot!

stephen_rockefeller

So I am in Toys R us and they have this amazing display with The droid escape, Jabbas palace and the desert skiff. I ask to speak with a manager and ask her what they do with the old displays once they put up the knew ones? I know they are supposed to destroy them but just wanted to see what she would say. She told me that they have dozens of them just sitting in the back because no one who works there has the heart to destroy them or throw them in the dumpster. (Time to turn on the charm). After making some small talk I asked so what if you were to "throw them away and someone like myself: f was to drive past the dumpster and stumble upon them. She caught on to what I was saying and seemed liked she really wanted to let that happen. She told me to hold on an d she left for about 20 minutes! I am think for sure I just won the Lego lottery. She was in the back throwing them away or as I asked her if she could "place" them next to the dumpster. At this point dollars signs are dancing in my head!! She comes back and says I wish I could but I just can't :((( needless to say I left the store looking like a whipped puppy dog!

The store employees can lose their job if they incorrectly dispose of the displays. In actuality, LEGO store displays are LEGO property I believe and are sent to businesses which dispose of large amounts of store and business hardware and equipment. Some slick managers know their values keep the displays to resell themselves.

The store employees can lose their job if they incorrectly dispose of the displays. In actuality, LEGO store displays are LEGO property I believe and are sent to businesses which dispose of large amounts of store and business hardware and equipment. Some slick managers know their values keep the displays to resell themselves.

Dispose of? In what way? I hope they aren't destroyed or anything...

In most cases yes, these are crushed and destroyed. They are marketing materials that LEGO pays to have in the store. LEGO owns them. It's a real shame but it's what happens. It's interesting because my spouse was a greeting card stock associate. She would change out the seasonal cards at the major stores. Guess where all those unsold cards go? In the trash/recycling... Now I'm not saying cards are the same as LEGO. But those cards belong to the company, and they are destroyed when it's time for new product to be displayed... I guess to keep value. It was an interesting perspective how much is destroyed to maintain pricing. Do your really think the stores could continue to charge 3-6 dollars a card, if there was an onslaught of old cards just sitting there?

In most cases yes, these are crushed and destroyed. They are marketing materials that LEGO pays to have in the store. LEGO owns them. It's a real shame but it's what happens.

It's interesting because my spouse was a greeting card stock associate. She would change out the seasonal cards at the major stores. Guess where all those unsold cards go? In the trash/recycling... Now I'm not saying cards are the same as LEGO. But those cards belong to the company, and they are destroyed when it's time for new product to be displayed... I guess to keep value. It was an interesting perspective how much is destroyed to maintain pricing. Do your really think the stores could continue to charge 3-6 dollars a card, if there was an onslaught of old cards just sitting there?

Yes...Very true. I am friends with one such person who owns a company who actually is paid by Target and other companies to destroy the marketing materials from Toy companies. They also destroy old computers and similar useless materials. In some cases(wink...wink), LEGO sets are saved to be resold, but it is against LEGO policy. Shame really. LEGO is throwing money out the window. Many LEGO fans would love to buy the displays.