Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So many questions. Who is Cole? Where is Johnny Cage? Why is Raiden not some white dude with long white hair and/or the Highlander ? Why are Liu Kang and Kung Lao together in 1st movie? They should have saved the time travel thing for movie 2 or 3. 

Sorry, but this Shang Tsung is not as intimidating as the one from the 90s movie
I guess female characters cannot wear anything sexy in R rated movies nowadays :P

They should have just made a Scorpion vs Sub-Zero movie.  That fight scene is pretty sick

I think for the most part they got the look of the combatants right in particular Sonya Blade (Jessica McNamee) here looks closer to her original iterations (between Elizabeth Malecki & Kerri Hoskins). I'm lost how Kano is a "goodie two shoes" now but they kept the Aussie accent established by Trevor Goddard.

It is difficult for anyone to follow in the footsteps of either Christopher Lambert as Raiden or Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung (Tagawa even reprised his role in the most recent Mortal Kombat entry making him pretty much the definitive Shang Tsung). However Tadanobu Asano and Chin Han respectively are both good actors in their own rights.

As for the girls from what little was shown, they seem to be wearing apparel that makes a bit more sense for combat. Some of the outfits from the games in the past such as Mortal Kombat 9, Sonya was barely in uniform with a heavy focus on her breasts. In the trailer she is wearing clothes I would expect from personnel with a military background.

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Who is Cole? Where is Johnny Cage?

From what I can gather, Cole Young could be Johnny Cage using a pseudonym to stay under the radar for reasons. Otherwise he's the movie's centrally convenient plot device to bring it all together.

Also allegedly Noob Saibot is in their somewhere for some reason to show up in some point at sometime.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

From what I can gather, Cole Young could be Johnny Cage using a pseudonym to stay under the radar for reasons. Otherwise he's the movie's centrally convenient plot device to bring it all together.

Methinks Cole Young goes to Hollywood and calls himself Johnny Cage AFTER he wins the tournament. 

As for the girls from what little was shown, they seem to be wearing apparel that makes a bit more sense for combat. Some of the outfits from the games in the past such as Mortal Kombat 9, Sonya was barely in uniform with a heavy focus on her breasts. In the trailer she is wearing clothes I would expect from personnel with a military background.

It is a fantasy movie based on video games.  If I want realism I would say Sonya does not have enough muscles to be a convincing fighter and they should have casted one of the MMA ladies like Amanda Nunes or Cris Cyborg.  Plus I was thinking Mileena should have worn something more revealing to distract the boys and to make the TEETH! reveal more impactful. :P

It is difficult for anyone to follow in the footsteps of either Christopher Lambert as Raiden or Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung (Tagawa even reprised his role in the most recent Mortal Kombat entry making him pretty much the definitive Shang Tsung). However Tadanobu Asano and Chin Han respectively are both good actors in their own rights.

Eh, Asian looking Thundergod does not make sense to me since thunder was more the fascination of western mythology (ie. Norse & Greek)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Methinks Cole Young goes to Hollywood and calls himself Johnny Cage AFTER he wins the tournament.

I can get behind that one. Johnny Cage is a stage name if I ever heard one.

It is a fantasy movie based on video games. If I want realism I would say Sonya does not have enough muscles to be a convincing fighter and they should have casted one of the MMA ladies like Amanda Nunes or Cris Cyborg.

True, the actress could be more muscular to better fit the role. For Mortal Kombat 11, Ronda Rousey voiced and modeled for the Sonya Blade character. Plus she has a history between UFC, MMA, and WWE. Now when I think about it she totally could have played the part in this film as well.

Plus I was thinking Mileena should have worn something more revealing to distract the boys and to make the TEETH! reveal more impactful. :P

That was her thing wasn't it. Her most recent outfit redesign is probably the least sexualized and should have been fine for the silver screen compared to Mortal Kombat Deception & 9 being the most risque. I had to re-watch the trailer back to Mileena licking off her Sai and ....her teeth look normal. There appears to be small slits across the sides of her cheeks with maybe details of teeth but isn't she supposed to be part Tarkatan with huge f'n chompers?! That's it! Worst film ever! 0 out of 10!

Eh, Asian looking Thundergod does not make sense to me since thunder was more the fascination of western mythology (ie. Norse & Greek)

Raijin says "Konnichiwa" with a "Ni hao" from Leigong and wife Dianmu. Also, Big Trouble in Little China? Come on man. You're breaking my balls. Haha.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished last nights finale of For all Mankind (Apple TV) season 2. I really liked season 1 not so much season 2. Rotten tomatoes has it just the opposite with season 2 getting 100%. Will definitely be watching season 3 if Apple keeps on bumping out the free service. 

50 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

You know a movie studio is desperate when the footage of their past movies (1:47) is longer than the footage of their new stuffs (1:24).

:P

:D

:D

I think quite a few people walked away from Marvel after Endgame and now with no one going to the movies for almost 1 1/2 years at this point they are a bit desperate to get butts in seats, however its not like they are leading off with a necessarily strong slate.

15 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I think quite a few people walked away from Marvel after Endgame and now with no one going to the movies for almost 1 1/2 years at this point they are a bit desperate to get butts in seats, however its not like they are leading off with a necessarily strong slate.

It reminded me of the trailer for the last so called movie released by LucasFilms :P  Coincidentally, both Marvel Studios and LucasFilms are owned by the same parent company :D

Oh, and you can even hear the desperation since they had to bring Stan Lee (RIP) to narrate the trailer  :D

Maybe they should have started this next phase with Black Widow as planned.  Wandavision started strong but ended with a bunch of inconsistencies and lazy writing.