Well, if you have seen The Lone Ranger, let's hear your review of it

emazers

So I went to the Midnight Showing of the Lone Ranger, the First bad sign was that in a 400 seat Theater there was only about 30 of us in there. And if you check and if you check the reviews alot of them are not good, But I see about everything wheen it first comes out. The Major complaint its a good 2 1/2 hrs long, But for the Movie it was just OK, For a Disney movie there is plenty of shooting and Killing, it does have comedy in it. And it is Johnny Depp's Movie, Acting all around was very good. So if you want action and lots of shooting well go see it, I give it a 7/10 score. If they just would of cut about a half hour it would of been better. Hopefully lots of people will see it over the 4th Holiday.   Ed

Hollywood keeps getting feedback from viewers about the issue with the length of movies nowadays.  I'm not sure why they think everything has to be 2.5 hrs. long.  Especially a comedy, who wants a 2 - 2.5 hr comedy???  I think the last comedy I watched was "Identity Thief" and they could have easily cut a 1/2 hr from it.

Like I told my son when he was asking after seeing the initial critics' pans on this film; with this type of movie you go in with no expectations, munch on your popcorn, sit back  and be entertained. If you're looking for any deeper meaning than that from this movie then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

So I went to the Midnight Showing of the Lone Ranger, the First bad sign was that in a 400 seat Theater there was only about 30 of us in there. And if you check and if you check the reviews alot of them are not good, But I see about everything wheen it first comes out. The Major complaint its a good 2 1/2 hrs long, But for the Movie it was just OK, For a Disney movie there is plenty of shooting and Killing, it does have comedy in it. And it is Johnny Depp's Movie, Acting all around was very good. So if you want action and lots of shooting well go see it, I give it a 7/10 score. If they just would of cut about a half hour it would of been better. Hopefully lots of people will see it over the 4th Holiday.   Ed

ed, did you think the plot was really a mess as many reviewers wrote? 

emazers, what did you think of Prometheus?  I expected it to be better than it was.

District 9 is perhaps the best movie I've seen in theaters in recent years, along with the Hobbit.

I know you didn't ask me, but I feel inclined to say that I felt like Prometheus was a masterpiece. My thoughts might be clouded because I'm a huge Aliens fan, but I felt that Prometheus touched on some really cool concepts, especially regarding the concepts of creation in general, how the engineers valued our species was interesting, and even though I'm not a religious man I liked the way Ridley Scott subtley tied that in there without being too overbearing for those of us who don't share the same feelings. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel. 

• Like 1

I also went and saw The Lone Ranger last night. When i left the theater i felt entertained but i also said they could have cut out about 30 minutes. I have a friend who is in the press and he went to a screening of this a bit ago and he enjoyed it but he also felt it was to long. The plot was decent but at times i sat there thinking to myself "wait, what's going on again?" It seemed to lose track of itself at times. Everyone should go check it out because it's not as horrible as the reviews have made it out to be. Besides William Fichtner is in it and he is a great character actor.

I know you didn't ask me, but I feel inclined to say that I felt like Prometheus was a masterpiece. My thoughts might be clouded because I'm a huge Aliens fan, but I felt that Prometheus touched on some really cool concepts, especially regarding the concepts of creation in general, how the engineers valued our species was interesting, and even though I'm not a religious man I liked the way Ridley Scott subtley tied that in there without being too overbearing for those of us who don't share the same feelings. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel. 

I'm a fan of the franchise, too, but my expectations were too big.  I thought it could potentially be my favorite movie before I saw it, and while it contained many great scenes and impeccable effects, I thought some of the characters were inconsistent in parts and I have read a lot of things about how Damon Lindeloff came in and changed things in the script.  He bothers me because of how Lost went down the toilet in the last season.

The issue with movie length is pretty much why I don't see movies in the theaters these days. They're all like watching Apocalypse Now. I think it's hard for any movie to be consistently excellent for 2.5+ hours.

I hardly ever go to a movie theater these days.  About the only benefit is that I get to see the movie sooner, but I'm not eight years old, so I can wait a few months to see a movie cheaper. The theater is usually too cold, the movie too loud.  And there is inevitably some fat duck sitting behind me coughing and loudly chomping food.  And I'll usually miss a bit of the movie because I can't pause when I go to the bathroom.

I also liked Prometheus quite a bit.  The Christianity nonsense was annoying, though.

• Like 1

Emazers review is spot on. LR was entertaining, with decent comedy, good action scenes and acting. Plot was ok. Major complaint was it was 30 minutes too long. Cut out a few superfluous scenes and I'd give it a strong 8.5, but as-is - a 7. The last 20-30 minutes is the payoff and worth the wait but I couldn't help but think they should of got there quicker....

for all those who have seen the movie, here is the most important question...is it appealing/appropriate for the younger crowd, who as we all know, is the main demographic the new LR sets are geared for? if the movie isn't appropriate for 6-12 year olds, then why would they or their parents want to buy these new sets? this will severely limit the potential market for these sets a few years from now to only western theme fans and afols. thoughts??

I'm a fan of the franchise, too, but my expectations were too big.  I thought it could potentially be my favorite movie before I saw it, and while it contained many great scenes and impeccable effects, I thought some of the characters were inconsistent in parts and I have read a lot of things about how Damon Lindeloff came in and changed things in the script.  He bothers me because of how Lost went down the toilet in the last season.

I was concerned a bit about the script as well, and there were definitely some scenes that could've been orchestrated better. A final complaint would be that some of the actors didn't quite cut the mustard in my opinion. But I think the atmosphere, theme, and overall concept they were going with was what interested me so much. Scott could have just done some mindless prequel full of xenomorphs, but he took it in a totally unique and interesting direction.  

Great point, Terry, and one I'm leery of. It's rated PG-13, so there's an immediate strike against it for the younger crowd. Although that may make it more appealing for preteens, I think it will limit the viewership from the younger end of the 6-12 range.

Great point, Terry, and one I'm leery of. It's rated PG-13, so there's an immediate strike against it for the younger crowd. Although that may make it more appealing for preteens, I think it will limit the viewership from the younger end of the 6-12 range.

which is why I am a bit hesitant about putting a lot of dough into these sets. pre-teens and young teenagers can probably go see this and maybe enjoy it, but kids that age are usually not interested in lego anymore and are about to enter their dark ages.

I have a 5 1/2 year old at home who is pretty much in prime LEGO building mode at the moment. He has zero interest in LR and has shown no interest in the LR sets. Of the big movies out at the moment the one he wanted to see was DM2.

IMO, the success of the LR sets will not be driven by really young kids or teens developing an interest in LR. It will be driven by all of the people out there that are into LR, of which there are many, and AFOLs who want a western theme.

My thought on this theme is that it will be successful, but like anything get the sets at a discount and be realistic about your desired return. This theme is not Indiana Jones, but it's also not POTC....

I also liked Prometheus. I will however, acknowledge that the entire movie can be summed up by this image:

tumblr_m5tyajVi5f1qd7ovlo1_400.gif

About LR, the sets to get are pretty obvious. The Stagecoach and the Train. Both are really nice looking sets with some great minifigs. It's really impossible for them to do poorly in my eyes.

I took my 6 yr old to it and his friend. They were restless a bit at times (again, too long), but left the movie chanting Hi Ho Silver and loved it. There was a little too much violence and swearing than I would have normally liked him to see but he really wanted to see the Lone Ranger. Once at home, he immediately pulled the lego sets (we only have the 2 smallest LR sets) off the shelf.